Is this ugly thing really worth $750?

Pleasant Hill, California
In a previous post (or was it a post on "that other site?"), I mentioned a guy I do some stereo restoration work for. He owes me about $700 and always has an excuse not to pay me. His divorce lawyer is taking all his money. Sales are slow. Mwa mwa mwa. But he also has a warehouse full of old stereo gear, and sometimes he gives me partial payment with something I can either restore and sell or restore and keep. Usually, it's a pair of old speakers that are worth $40 when I get them, and $150 after I restore them (replacing dead capacitors or tweeters, refinishing the cabinets, etc). But most recently, he sent me home with a 1960s Dynaco Stereo 70 tube power amplifier that's already been restored. I'm testing it out in my "bedroom system" as I type. These things are going for $750 on eBay. The sound is really good, and it appears to be functioning properly. Should I just keep the amplifier and call it good?
@vandana7 (63805)
Sell it when there is a market for it...
@yugocean (8202)
sell it to vand and take money from her
@vandana7 (63805)
@yugocean ..You pay for it...I will keep the ugly thing in my house...
@yugocean (8202)
@vandana7 I pay via your mylot account
It may be "ugly" but if someone wants/needs it for $750, well heck - it's not so ugly after all! But I say call it good only after you sell it for that price.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'd be willing to accept it and keep it (at least for awhile). I'm working three jobs (plus playing music and restoring old stereo gear) so I don't need the cash at this time.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@much2say True. If I needed the money, I would accept the Dynaco Stereo 70 and immediately turn around and sell it.
@TheHorse Whatever cash you do not need send my way.
Do you really think you will get payment rather than that?
• Pleasant Hill, California
In all honesty, no.
@TheHorse ....I'd just keep it and call it good.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@celticeagle That for sure what I'm leaning toward. I like the sound of the amplifier a lot. It's driving my main system right now.
If it appears that this is the only way you will get payment, keep it. Next time, tell him that you want half down on the work and the other half when the work is completed. Draw up a contract stating this as well.
• Pleasant Hill, California
We're moving in that direction. But everything is ambiguous with him. I said I'd do two pairs of loudspeakers for only $80 (my usual price would be about $180) recently. But then he sent me home with three KLH 17 loudspeakers to keep, worth about $75. I was able to restore the 17s and actually had another at home. So I'll sell one pair for $125, and have another pair for my personal collection. In this case, I gain from the perpetual ambiguity. All I had to invest was my time and skill, doing something I enjoy anyway.
@TheHorse Well, I guess it worked out to your favor then.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
If you are happy with the amp and it is operating according to specs, I would go ahead and call it a deal. Especially if this is a repeat customer you think will bring in more business in the future.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Exactly, I think that will be my strategy. I don't NEED another amplifier right now. But I will use it, and having a Dynaco Stereo 70 around is a good investment. It will only go up in value.
That is an eye sore. Sell it
• Pleasant Hill, California
I don't know the term "eye source." But it's one of the best sounding amplifiers I've heard.
@TheHorse Then you might think of keeping it.
@Bluedoll (17071)
Anything is worth what a buyer will pay for it? These items may also have nostalgia value.
• Pleasant Hill, California
They also sound much better than most contemporary gear.
@Bluedoll (17071)
@TheHorse The contemporary gear is cheap. If they put something into new technology it performs well but it may not have the same sound and then style is something they only can copy. The real deal should be worth more.
Do you need the amplifier? If not, sell it on eBay, so you can finally cash in the amount that your friend owes you.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I don't need it, but I don't mind having it. I'm listening to it right now, and it sounds great.
@TheHorse It surely sounds great, it's up to you to decide what to do.
I'd get my money by selling it, then not put yourself in the position of being owed money by him again.
• Pleasant Hill, California
It's funny because it's money I don't NEED at this time. I like the fact that I always wind up with new stuff to restore. But you're right. I'll probably accept it, call us even, and then be a bit more systematic about collecting compensation from him in the future.
@softbabe44 (5902)
• Vancouver, Washington
He must know something you don't.
• Pleasant Hill, California
What do you think he knows? He's so disorganized, I'm not sure he even knows what knows.
@Dena91 (4196)
I'd call it an even trade.
• Pleasant Hill, California
He'll still owe me a bit. But he has other equipment I can keep.
@scheng1 (24806)
I have no use for this kind of thing. If you can find a use for it, and you like it, then keep it. Else you can sell online, and consider it as a payment.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Precisely. Turntables are making a comeback among young hipsters. I wonder if old tube stereo gear will do the same. It really does sound better than solid state. Many of the people who originally bought these things (people who were 35-years-old in 1968 and had finally "made it") are getting older now, and have them stored away in their baby boomer children's garages.
@Lucky15 (33418)
i better keep it :) that is if it is me, lol keep it
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think that's what I'll do.
@Drosophila (16718)
Sounds like you got a bargain!
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'll be "paying" full value for the receiver (probably), but it's worth it not to be "owed." I always give him a "sympathy discount" on my restoration work for him, but I'm not sure that he'd do the same for me. His brain works in strange ways.
@Drosophila (16718)
@TheHorse ah well, ya he does sound very particular
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Drosophila Peculiar is the word I'd use.
@Kikijoyce (109)
I would sell it because its a good deal
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'll probably hang onto it for awhile.
@TheHorse okay...your choice...anyway you know what they say..old is gold
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Kikijoyce I'll repeat that to myself as I look at the "wisdom lines" around my eyes in the morning when I shave. Heh. But it's really true. A 1938 Martin guitar that sold for maybe $100 then can now fetch $30,000!
@fishtiger58 (30344)
• Momence, Illinois
Depends if you don't really need the money keep it.
• Pleasant Hill, California
That's what I think I'm going to do!
@fishtiger58 (30344)
• Momence, Illinois
@TheHorse you might never see another one.
since you never get money maybe. and I read that as first sneakers, not speakers and thought what? lol
• Pleasant Hill, California
That would be some expensive sneakers!
@TheHorse I know! Then again, I suppose someone somewhere would pay that kind of thing for shoes, unless those suckers are custom and I dunno, have emeralds in them I wouldnt, well prob not even then! lol
@biikiki (203)
• Nyeri, Kenya
if the sound is really good and functions properly its worth it.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I agree. I'm listening to it as I write, and it sounds like it's supposed to: slightly warm and quite smooth
@biikiki (203)
• Nyeri, Kenya
@TheHorse good then you got your money worth
@boiboing (12198)
• Northampton, England
I have no knowledge of such things but whatever you decide to do, don't do more work for him without upfront payments.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Upfront payments? He seems to be broke all of the time, even though he's sitting on thousands and thousands of dollars worth of stereo gear. But if he keeps sending me home with valuable stereo gear, I'll be happy with that.
@freak369 (4865)
@boiboing said "I have no knowledge of such things but whatever you decide to do, don't do more work for him without upfront payments." I had to laugh .. that's almost exactly what my neighbor said about Bubblews LOLOLOL
@Platespinner (16512)
I'd be inclined to call it good. Keep it if you want it, sell it if you don't.
• Pleasant Hill, California
That summarizes my strategy precisely.The thing runs warm, so it can double as a heater when I use it in Winter!
@TheHorse It sounds like he gave you something of value but there are costs to selling on eBay and the hassle of shipping. If you can make your money and the market is good, go for it. People have $$'s now with their tax returns.