Do you do your writing on computer or pen and notebook paper?

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Another writing question. I was wondering because one person mentioned how they get their words on Word while writing. I don't use the computer to write. I am strictly an individual who uses a pen and looseleaf paper. I take notes down on little notebook sheets that my sister buys me every time she gives me a gift I get a small notebook. I have a pile of little notebooks in my writing paper drawer.
@Morleyhunt (19750)
I write mostly on the computer. I have no aspirations of writing the great novel or anything professional. It's more of a hobby.
I am writing online for experience as I have the idea of being the most famous novelist in the world. I know it will never happen, but I will dream it. If I dream hard and big enough, i will achieve it @morleyhunt
@Morleyhunt (19750)
@Marty1 use my portal....anything can happen.
@Morleyhunt I was wondering I am not all that computer literate but what is a portal? Sorry if I sound ignorant.
@KristenH (24102)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Computer. But pen and paper is good for back-up, when you have computer issues.
@KristenH I have such a hard time to use the computer. Maybe if I am at a site that counts words I write it on paper then transfer it to Word and type it in to get a word count. I don't have the patience to count the words on my own. I get nervous when my computer is down, But luckily I have a Kindle with the internet.
@KristenH (24102)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@Marty1 I feel the same way as you. I've had a computer issue last spring (topcase needed to be fixed and replaced, since start-up key didn't work). I was offline for about 2 weeks, until I picked it up right before my birthday.
@KristenH I find it easier to use my computer for email and the internet because my Kindle is so hard to use the internet on it, to press the little buttons on the screen, I don't use the internet on it too often.Sorry about the broken computer. Being without your computer can be hard.
@softbabe44 (5902)
• Vancouver, Washington
My husband buys those little notebooks for me too.
@Softbabe44 Does your husband get you journals too, every Christmas and sometimes at other gift times? I just got one on Thanksgiving.
• Vancouver, Washington
@Marty1 Yea he sure does get me journals.
@softbabe44 I got another journal this Christmas, too! And a little notebook for Thanksgiving from my nephew but it was a jack-later. I think she has her Holidays mixed up.
@Blondie2222 (21818)
I used to keep a journal for my writings but haven't wrote in it in forever. I just write whenever something comes to mind that i want to jot down. The only journal i keep now is of my health issues that i have so i can keep track whenever i visit the doctor next i'll have a list for them of things that happen. But that's about it.
@Blondie2222 Sorry to hear about the health issues I have a mom that is sick. I have to keep in my head when my sister is taking her to the doctor since I can't drive and whenever the nurses are coming and see her up. That means I have to wait for the 7 pm hour phone calls the day before they come.I think I will write it in a journal. Good idea. I get all these journals from my sister every holiday, so I have plenty enough.
@Blondie2222 (21818)
@Marty1 yes i keep track of any symptoms i have or illnesses so that way they know next time i see them.
@Blondie2222 I think I will write down anything unusual my mom has as a symptom, and I can already think of one. Thanks for the ideas.
• Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I buy those wire 1 subject notebooks in September, when they are on sale. That's where I make notes, highlight deadlines and word counts for content orders. If the text is short, I usually compose on my tablet. If it's longer, say one thousand words, I might use Notebook first to get the hook and other thoughts written down. These longer pieces always get written on my laptop, however.
@sherryericha YOu say deadlines and content writing. May I ask what is comtent writing? And are you a freelancer if yoou have dates or a professional writer? I am trying to break into freelancing.
• Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
@Marty1. I was writing for greatcontent US and UK, but they haven't had a lot of orders since the holidays. Now I am trying to establish myself with Hirewriters, copypress and iwriters. I got so comfortable with greatcontent and it is never good to depend on just one site.
@VivaLaDani13 (19954)
• Perth, Australia
I use both. But probably more the computer but then I am not wasting paper. And plus, typing is a lot quicker for me anyway.
@vivaladani13 I like the idea of wasting paper. But then I like the feeling of writing. But sometimes I write and wonder what in the world does that say when I look at it a few days later! I am trying to write neater!
I always have a pen and notebook with me to write on.
@Jstory07 I don't always have a notebook and pen on me.But it is a habit I should acquire and I will. I am always getting ideas but am not always at my desk with a notebook. So, I say I am going to write it down when I get to my desk that pen and paper. But of course, I forget the idea. I am going to to keep a notebook and pen available starting now, Thanks for the idea.
@MandaLee (3726)
I use the computer. I always write using Microsoft Word. Everyone has a method that works best for them.
@MandaLee I learned from this discussion that everybody has their way.
i like to write by hand, but rarely do it.
@jillybean1222 I like to write both ways, but I like to get my ideas down on paper and have a perfect copy of what I want to say before I put it down on the computer. I don't mind typing it is just I learned on a typewriter rather than a computer which makes it harder for me.
• Budennovsk, Russian Federation
i write sudden thoughts on a notebook with a pencil (because it can be used for writing from any position). When i want to post something, i use laptop to type the info from the paper notebook
@TypicalRussian Thanks for explaining it better than me because I do the same thing, but I use a pen and looseleaf paper.
@freak369 (4928)
A computer or even a tablet is an easier way to document things; I will write notes or short sentences if I am out of the house or not near the computer but its been a long time since I sat down and wrote something out then typed it out
@freak369 I think I am going to give writing on the computer a try.. I write notes to myself, but I do it right in front of my computer sometimes. I am going to have to figure something out.
@scheng1 (24800)
I take note when I am in a meeting in the office. Other than that, I rely mostly on Word. It is the way that workplace functions.
@scheng I am sitting in my room most of the day so I have no excuse. I seriously can't work outside the house.
That's a good way to do it but I use Word. Everyone has a favourite of writing don't they?
@JudyEv Yes, that was the point of my question. I am the only one who writes in the family. Everybody supports me in my family, but they don't write, and I knew people had different styles, and I was just wondering about others on lot's writing habits. I just wanted to learn the habits. You made my point exactly.
@Lucky15 (33382)
some were written down, it was just the thought. words will be followed while writing it here. though there are times i write the whole thing in a notebook
• Brookville, Pennsylvania
I have writing notebooks where I jot down ideas and maybe work on a short story, but 99% of my writing now is done on the computer.
That is good you feel so comfortable on a computer. I hear that kids in school it is no longer mandatory to teach children how to write in cursive. My nephews school wasn't teaching them, and the parents put an end to that. I am going to try to write poetry and short stories and eventually a book.
@akalinus (15793)
Before my computer days, I wrote in notebooks. I made changes by writing them in on spare spaces and then drawing a line and an arrow to show where to insert the change. I typed them on a typewriter and then an electronic typewriter. When I finally entered the computer age, I do it on my word program. I really don't like it but it is so much easier to make changes, deletions and to move things around. Sometimes, I still write the old way in notebooks and then transfer it to the computer. It is much easier to submit articles or stories online. I don't have to hunt up envelopes, stamps, addresses, SASEs or worry about peanut butter on the page.
Yes, it is easy to make changes on the computer. I realized that when I do on the occasion that I do it on the word. It is very rare.
@DWDavis (10771)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I do most of my writing on the computer because of my arthritis. More than a few lines handwritten is enough to make my hands ache to the point I have to stop. Fortunately, keyboarding doesn't bother me nearly as much.
@DWDavis I am so sorry about your arthritis. Glad you can, at least, have better luck on a keyboard. I have arthritis in my elbow from dislocating it. When I write, it gets swollen. Thanks for sharing and hope that arthritis gets better and aches less.
I take notes with a pen on my notepad, but when I decide to write a discussion, I use the computer.
I use the loose leaf paper and pen for notes and starting discussions. I didn't have a computer until I reached college. It is hard for me to get used to it. But I a,m going to stick with pen and paper. I am old fashioned.
I just take notes if I need to get the facts of a post right. I will also write articles in my email and sent them to me so that I can access them easily. Husband said my new laptop does not have Word, but will have to check that out. The email and jotting down notes works for me. Love you my dear friend!!!
@cornbin I have a new email system I have a problem using. But I do take down notes too and write the response out on paper. Glad your method works for you. Love you, too. Freezing today and all weekend.
@msiduri (5750)
Both. I often scribble in a notebook. The serious writing and editing I do on the computer. Next to the last (...or what is supposed to be the next to the last) edit, I print out and go through with a pen. Blame it on my journalism studies. Final edits are done on the computer.