Cauliflower for Supper

@Raelove (16813)
Saco, Maine
There wasn't much on the marked-down produce rack at Marketbasket today, but I did find an assortment of large heads of cauliflower priced at just 99 cents each. I chose a super-large one that must have weighed at least 2 pounds and cooked it for supper. It just fit into my large steamer pot, and it didn't take long at all to cook. A generous serving of it with a slice of buttered bread made up my supper tonight. Of all the veggies out there, cauliflower is one of my favorites. I like broccoli, too, but I prefer the much milder flavor of cauliflower. Sometimes, I switch things up by mashing it with a little butter as I would potatoes, or I saute a few onions and add them to the mashed cauliflower with a little butter and milk for a nice creamy soup. I tried frozen cauliflower once, but I didn't like the color or the consistency of it once I cooked it. If I can't afford the usually high price of fresh, I'll pass till I can. Only "fresh" will do! (Public Domain Image)
I love cauliflower.. There's so many ways to prepare it & I have started substituting cauliflower for either potatoes or pasta
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I would do that more often if it weren't so expensive. A head here usually costs $3 or more, and they're not always large like this one was.
@Raelove I noticed you said you'll only eat fresh (which I agree is simply delicious) but I buy frozen and steam it (which is cheaper than fresh) when the fresh is too expensive
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@Marilynda1225 Maybe I should try steaming it instead. I sure didn't like the color of it boiled!
@Gillygirl (17282)
• Sutton, England
I do enjoy cauliflower especially cauliflower cheese. I once tried to make soup from it but it was a disaster.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I haven't always been successful. They key is to remember how watery it naturally is and not add too much milk or cream to the cooked cauliflower. Otherwise, you end up with a watered-down mess!
My husband makes a really good cauliflower soup!
I have always loved cauliflower. I prefer fresh and when it is in season in the fall I'll buy up as much of it as I can from the farmer who grows it and blanche it and freeze it for the winter. It reheats nicely and is perfect for soups.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
The last bag of store-bought frozen that I got turned gray when I cooked it. Never again. If I can't buy it fresh, I'll do without.
@Raelove Eww, that's a real turn off, mine never turns grey, it remains as white as the day it was picked. We go thru it and it doesn't last around here, so that could be another reason.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@Juliaacv That's because you froze your own. I have no idea how long the frozen stuff at the store WAS frozen. I won't buy it again.
Wow, what a deal. Cauliflower has been $6.00 a head here lately. I felt lucky to get one for $4.00 last week!
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I won't pay more than $3 for a head of any vegetable. This was a nice surprise that I couldn't pass up.
@Raelove I'll say. I have been thinking of buying frozen, but you say it's not so good. I wish I could decide not to spend more than $3 for any head of vegetable. We are eating lots of potatoes from our garden. Luckily they are still very good and are helping us avoid buying as much vegetables at the grocery store. And a few other garden vegetables still in the freezer
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@paigea You are so lucky to still be using some of your own produce. That is the best there is, no question.
@simone10 (21657)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I love cauliflower and prefer it to broccoli. I have heard of mashing it like you do potatoes but I have never tried it. It does sound good that way.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
It is good that way, and easy on the stomach, too.
@simone10 (21657)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@Raelove I bet it is. I will have to see if I can talk my brother into trying it. He will eat cauliflower but it's not one of his favorite veggies.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@simone10 I like it raw in a salad in small amounts, but I much prefer it cooked. This large head made enough for me for 4 meals. I hope to find another bargain on it again soon.
I like it oven baked with a bechamel (white) sauce. In case of small and young cauliflowers, I like them raw.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I don't have it often, as it's expensive around here and not a locally-grown crop. So the droughts on the west coast have affected the price of it along with that of other produce.
@Raelove Cauliflowers, cabbages and broccoli grow easily in this area, they are inexpensive.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@LadyDuck Organic farmers do grow them here in Maine, but they're not typical crops. We're known for our potatoes, corn, blueberries and apples. Anything else is generally not grown commercially, so in order to buy a truly fresh cauliflower, I have to go to a farmer's market. And even there, they're not that common.
@sueznewz2 (9969)
• Alicante, Spain
I like cauliflower in salads raw... it gives it a nice crunch.... but my most favourite way is semi cooked and then smothered in cheese and finished of in the oven.... we also use a white sauce with some bacon and onions it it... which is equally yummmm ...
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Sounds delicious. My current goal is to eat more vegetables without any fixings, as I am trying to cut out extra calories. I'm a big cheese lover, and I adore bacon. So it's hard for me to forego those things. I also prefer raw cauliflower in salads to broccoli, again for the milder taste.
@sueznewz2 (9969)
• Alicante, Spain
@Raelove yes I know what you mean.... watching out for calories and carbs.... I've been doing that myself recently... with varying degrees of success ...
I love cauliflower with white sauce. We don't have it very often but boy it is good.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I'm sure it is.
Potatoes are my favorite. I am a Tator from Idaho. Haha. I do like cauliflower and broccolli. I also like brussel sprouts and asparagus.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I adore potatoes, and do eat Brussels sprouts on occasion. But those, too, are usually too expensive, so I only buy 5 or 6 at a time.
@louievill (18640)
I like cauliflower stir fried in a wok with onions, garlic, oyster sauce and ground beef or Batter dipped deep fried similar to Japanese tempura ( cauliflower instead of prawns). Cauliflowers are called upland vegetables here because they grow only in colder parts of the country like the Mountain province, same with cabbage, asparagus,broccoli and lettuce
I am like you, I prefer to eat the fresh vegetables, do not like the consistency of the frozen ones.