Swing Shift: Movie Review

@Raelove (16813)
Saco, Maine
Once in awhile, I come across a great older movie on Turner Classic Movies that I just have to watch again. If I had to make a list of my favorites, I wouldn't know where to begin. But one movie, "Swing Shift," released in 1984, would definitely be on it. I caught it last week, and it was just as much fun to watch as it was when I first saw it years ago. Starring Goldie Hawn, Kurt Russell, Ed Harris, Christine Lahti and Fred Ward, the screenplay depicts the life of a young married woman living in California just prior to World War II. When the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor, Kay (played by Hawn) encourages her husband Jack (Ed Harris) to "join up." She cries about how she doesn't know what she'll do without him, and he reminds her that he does not want her working, as he'll be able to send enough money home to support her. Kay's neighbor, Hazel (played by Lahti), is a swinging single who has her heart set on one man, Biscuits (Fred Ward), but so far, they've done nothing more than argue over his refusing to star her in his nightclub. Kay takes a job at an airplane plant, where her friendship with Hazel deepens. Kay also falls in love and has a fling with her supervisor, Lucky (played by Russell), and the three spend most of their time off together living it up. At one point, Hazel is at the club and spies Biscuits in a sailor uniform. He pledges his love for her, but she's still not ready to commit due to his long history of seeing other women behind her back. When Jack comes home unexpectedly, he quickly realizes that his wife has been having an affair, and he confronts her with it. As the war ends, they both realize how much it changed both their lives, and Kay ends the affair with Lucky. Hazel and Biscuits are married, and the movie ends with Kay and Hazel celebrating the fact that they were able to keep the country running while their men were away. It's a cute movie that never gets bogged down in a lot of emotion. The carefree California back-story puts Kay and Hazel in bungalow apartments across a narrow walkway from each other, and their experiences both in their private lives and at the plant loosely illustrates the concept of women taking over when the men go to war. The soundtrack is made up of music from that era, and depicts the dance hall years perfectly. It's a good movie for anyone who likes period pieces, and one that I could definitely watch again. (Public Domain Image)
I liked this one also. I have a thing for adorable Goldie so... This is the movie where Goldie and Kurt Russell hooked up in real life.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Yes, I think I heard that. Good little movie.
I think she is adorable too. The first thing I saw her in was 'There's a Girl in my Soup', I think with Peter Sellars.
@JudyEv You got it right. There's a Girl in My Soup with Peter Sellers. 1970. Her third film.
I remember watching this movie. I love the classic movies. I recently watched "Come Back Little " starring Burt Lancaster and Shirley Booth. What a heartbreaker that one happens to be. I think Shirley Booth received an Academy Award for her performance.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I love that one, too. She did win, and I believe it was her first major role, too. Great movie.
I did watch that movie years ago.
I'm sure I've seen this but it must have been years ago. I always love Goldie Hawn whatever she is in.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
So do I. She had quite a range in her day. But she's one of those who went the way of extreme facial surgery, so she lost her visual appeal a long time ago.
@Raelove Did she really? I didn't know that. She was so cute. Why do they have to do this?
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@JudyEv Yes, she did. She isn't as grotesque as some, but I read somewhere that there are very few celebreties who haven't had something done. I have no idea whey they do it. I guess they delude themselves into thinking they can ward off old age. Sad in so many cases that involve formerly gorgeous women.
I probably watched or slept through half of it at some point in time. I'm known for falling asleep half-way through movies.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
My daughter's the same way! If it's movie I don't like, I might. But if I like it, I can generally sit through it.
Thanks for this review Rachel, I have never seen the movie before, but it looks like the kind I would enjoy.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I think you would. It was done very tastefully and PG rated. I love it.
I do not believe that I already watched this movie, but it sounds interesting, a movie I could like.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
It's very low-key and fun, and I love the era it's set in.
@garymarsh6 (14134)
I don't really watch many films they send me to sleep.
I remember this well.Did I liked it.Not sure.But does not matter.I am not into cute movies. Unless it is my favorite Tom and Huck