My Favorite Songs: "Destination Unknown" Missing Persons (1982)

Los Angeles, California
Missing Persons was a quintessential 80s new wave alternative LA band founded by singer Dale Bozzio, her husband drummer Terry and guitarist Warren Cuccurullo (who later replaced Andy Taylor and played with Duran Duran for 15 years). The band was very popular in its hometown and on alternative radio and inexplicably never broke nationwide despite a great sound and the dynamic Dale. There can be no question Dale was an influence on Lady Gaga. Dale was outrageously sexy and dressed flamboyantly. "Destination Unknown" is among the group's best known songs reaching number 42 on Billboard and included on the "Spring Session M" album. The song is a bit different from others as Dale refrains from her trademark Betty Boop hiccup highs. "Destination Unknown" has that driving new wave beat and is more somber that it seems. The song is about impending death of which we have no control over and the uncertainty beyond. "Life is so strange Destination unknown When you don't know Your destination Something could change It's unknown and then you won't know Destination unknown"
@LeaPea2417 (21077)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I remember that Band and liked that song. I was into New Wave music back then. I had the album.
Spring Session M is a great album. I still have it on vinyl!
• Pensacola, Florida
This song came out eight years before I was born. Just thought Id make you feel old in the comment before actually commenting on the song. I don't know for sure that I have ever actually heard the song. Guess I should go to YouTube and look it up.
Glad I can count on a young whippersnapper like yourself to remind me of age. Be respectful and learn from your elders lol!!!
@MRXSNTRK (61)
• New York, New York
Only For The Moment is my all time favorite from Missing Persons. Surrender Your Heart is a close second favorite. They were a very underrated band. Right Now, and Give were other fantastic songs. 80's synth! Great times, great music.
You got that right!
@FourWalls (14188)
I liked them because, thanks to Dale Bozzio's voice, they stood out from the other "synth" bands in the early 80's. My favorite song of theirs is "Walking in L.A."
That song is also on the Spring Session M album along with Words.
"Noticeable One" is my favorite from them. I got to see them a few years back in Denver as part of an 80's tour. They were great.
I do remember that song, but did not know the name of the group. Thanks for that information.
@Dalane (700)
That was a good song. I remember it well, although I haven't heard it in ages. I used to like all those New Wave bands in the 80s.
@Morleyhunt (19856)
I must have been very busy with my babies during the early to mid eighties. All these songs and bands that were never on my radar.
If you were in Canada then, I doubt bands from LA were played up there unless there was a new wave/alternative/pink radio station.
@Morleyhunt (19856)
@JohnRoberts I didn't listen to the radio. With four young children, who needed background noise.
I remember this group.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I remember the band, but not the song without the melody.
I do not recall t his.But enjoy the information here.
I had not heard of this one Robert, but I will go look now.