Banana cake.

@garymarsh6 (14085)
United Kingdom
I do like days when you seem to race through work and get so much done. I have done a load of washing this morning and decided that with the best will in the world and gluttony that I would not be able to finish the bananas in the fruit bowl. So what to do?? I made a banana cake. Last weekend I bought half a dozen eggs and I remember using two eggs for the pancakes on Tuesday so thought I had four left. I started to mash the bananas mixed the sugar and butter then went to get the eggs out of the box and there were only two eggs. I really needed four but thought three would do. I remembered last weekend I made some bread pudding. Oh well I pressed on popped the two eggs in the mixture added some spice sultanas and some lemon juice and put it in the oven. An hour and a half later the smell of the cake permeated my study. I had forgotten and got side tracked. I quickly went to the kitchen to find the cake perfectly cooked. I took it out of the tin and left it cooling. About an hour later I made a cup of coffee and was about to take a sip when my daughter rang hysterically asking me to come quickly to a play ground where my grandson had had an accident. A swing had smacked him in the face and he was bleeding profusely. By time I got there fortunately the bleeding had stopped but he was covered in blood. All over his face all down his nice red jacket, all over my daughter and her clothes. My grand daughter was crying because it was her swing that hit him. She was beside herself having caused an injury to her little brother. So calming her down luckily I think my grandson was in shock so he wasn't hollering my daughter was asking should we take him to hospital. I said I don't think so lets get you all home. As soon as we arrived at her place he came alive saying the swing banged his nose. She was worried in case it was broken. I told her not to worry as they would not do anything to it. Just to keep an eye on him. He heard me tell her that I had made the cake so he decided he wanted cake. I drove home and got the cake and took some of the cake to them. ( It was for them anyway). He was quite happy playing with his toys when I got back there. So all is s well that ends well although his nose is slightly swollen hopefully tomorrow the swelling will subside a little. I hope you have had a great day today?
Your cake sounds scrumptious. I am glad that your grandson is okay.
@garymarsh6 (14085)
Thanks Marie!
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
Who would imagine that baking a cake could lead to such utter mayhem. King Alfred must have had quite a hectic life.
@garymarsh6 (14085)
The only difference is I did not burn it!
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
@garymarsh6 That is because you did not have enough eggs as fuel.
Accidents will happen, and I'm relieved it wasn't more serious that Your banana cake couldn't fix.
@garymarsh6 (14085)
Once he got stuck into the cake it all seemed to have been forgotten! See cake is quite magical. Never ignore the power of cake!
Banana cake.I have to look this up.Sorry about the kiddo there
@garymarsh6 (14085)
It is only banana mashed into a basic cake mixture with some mixed spice and sultanas.
I think every child has been smacked with a swing at one time or another. Hopefully it didn't break his nose. I am sure they enjoyed your delicious cake.
@garymarsh6 (14085)
It is surprising how much blood there was. He is none the worse for wear now thanks!
@garymarsh6 Any injuries to the head area always bleed like crazy, my kids were very active!!
@simone10 (21657)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Oh no, the poor baby! I imagine that hurt as the nose is so sensitive. I hope it isn't broke but like you said, they wouldn't do much to it anyway.
@garymarsh6 (14085)
He seems to be OK with it Elizabeth thankfully!
@simone10 (21657)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@garymarsh6 I'm glad that he is ok. Kids are pretty tough.
@Fleura (7191)
Oh dear what a drama! As you say even if it was broken there's nothing that can be done anyway only keep an eye on it. Glad he seemed OK and everyone is calm and cheery again.
@garymarsh6 (14085)
I would like to think it was my fantastic culinary skills that cured him!
Relieved your grandson was not injured seriously. All that blood is so scary. Glad he felt good enough to eat Grandpa's banana cake!
@garymarsh6 (14085)
The smallest of niks can look like a massacre scene. He was covered in it! Once he was cleaned up and asking for his cake he was fine thankfully!
@kaka135 (14099)
When I read your beginning parts of the post, I wanted to comment it's such a relaxing way to make the banana cake. I can't imagine myself knowing how to make the banana cake, though I'd love to learn. Sorry to hear what'd happened to your grandson, I'd have scared and worried if it happened to my child as well. Good to know he seems alright now, though he will still be suffering from the pain. Good that you had the banana cake to cheer him up. My husband, my son and my daughter just had a small cut on their foot over the past two days. Glad that they are all fine now, just that my little girl cried when she was taking shower because of the pain. I had a good day, though we didn't really celebrate Valentine's Day, I did quite a lot of work. I met a potential client and discussed on the potential assignment, it sounds positive though I am still waiting for his email. I had some good progress on my current software project, and I am quite energetic to do it now. Besides these, I had good time with my husband and children as well. I told the story about St. Valentine to my children too.
@garymarsh6 (14085)
OH well done you. Glad all has been a success for you today. It is great when everything falls into place. Sorry to hear about your daughter hurting her foot. I hope all is well now.
What an eventful day. I can just imagine how grateful your daughter was to have you nearby for advice and support. And you've reminded me that I have some bananas that need dealing with in some way. Unfortunately Herc doesn't like bananas. Vince has already tried to share one with him.
@garymarsh6 (14085)
Rattle that mint sauce! LOL I love bananas but they were beginning to turn so best to use them up. I hate wasting food.
@garymarsh6 Me too. I have a banana in the freezer which will be juiced up one day with other goodies.
@Dragonairy1 (1414)
• Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
Mines been a lot quieter than yours, I'm glad he's ok.
@garymarsh6 (14085)
It didn't stop there apparently yesterday he shut his thumb in the door. Gawd there won't be much left of him by time they descend on me tomorrow.
• Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
@garymarsh6 I'm not sure I should have liked that, poor little lad.
@Gillygirl (17329)
• Sutton, England
Glad your banana cake distracted your grandson. Hope he will get over his swollen nose quickly.
@garymarsh6 (14085)
Apparently he is sleeping like a baby. Didn't put him off his dinner apparently!
@Gillygirl (17329)
• Sutton, England
@garymarsh6 Good, kids bounce back fast. I'll be sleeping like a baby too very soon.
@salonga (28016)
Sorry for your grandson but glad he looks okay. But i must commend you for being such a caring and sweet grandpa
@garymarsh6 (14085)
OH bless you thanks that is sweet of you to say so!
@gudheart (12752)
Did you not save me a piece of cake :( LOL OJ. Accidents do happen, but glad it was nothing too serious.
@garymarsh6 (14085)
He is fine now thanks. I had to eat your piece today as it would have gone off!
It's good to have a nurse at hand, heehee.
@garymarsh6 (14085)
My daughter is very level headed thankfully.
I'm glad that the little chap isn't too badly hurt, and that he was able to enjoy your cake.
@garymarsh6 (14085)
Surprising how cake can solve all ills Janet.
@boiboing (12636)
• Northampton, England
The good thing about a banana bread is that nobody really expects it to rise very well.
@garymarsh6 (14085)
OH no not a banana bread it was definitely a cake. I am sure you would love it too! Banana bread can be quite heavy. This was as light and very tasty too! Hmm now you have got the old gears ticking over I fancy making a banana loaf now. Shame I used all the bananas !
@pgntwo (21658)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Banana cake's fairly forgiving in the making, and a wonderful cure-all!
@garymarsh6 (14085)
Certainly is in his case! All forgotten now!
@Morleyhunt (19750)
Weren't you glad you had made the banana cake. It provided a welcome distraction. Hope the grandsons nose is okay.
@garymarsh6 (14085)
Yes that was a bit of luck. Poor little thing. I hate to see the kids get hurt.
I would have taken them to the hospital. There could have been damage inside his nose. But then, I'm careful that way. After, cake, of course.