Do you ever "call the Advice Nurse"?

Walnut Creek, California
I went to a friends' house (a couple I've known for several years) last night for dinner. After dinner, we watched "Brooklyn" (warning: total "chick flick"). My female friend (a lawyer) had a sty in her eye, and it was causing her discomfort. I told her to call the Advice Nurse and see what she should do. Advice Nurse? She said she didn't know if her Insurer had Advice Nurses. I told that I doubted there were HMOs that didn't have Advice Nurses. Kaiser (my medical provider) has them. Even my clients on MediCal have them. She checked, found out I was right, and called the Advice Nurse. Warm compresses until the thing drains. OTC medication to alleviate discomfort. Visit a doctor if the swelling is too great or continues. Her hubby and I went to Walgreens and scored her some medication at 11 PM. We had fun bantering with the lady behind the counter. I found it incredible that a grown women who is lawyer did not know that she had access to an Advice Nurse. I've found them to be more informative, friendly, clear, and compassionate that most of the Doctors at Kaisier. Her experience was the same. Do you ever call the Advice Nurse? Are you aware that one is available to you? I'm curious about what those not in the US will have to say. Are there Advice Nurses in India, the UK, Australia, etc.?
@boiboing (12881)
• Northampton, England
We have NHS direct. You can ring them about pretty much anything pretty much any time. But for something like a sty, I'd just ask a pharmacist.
• Walnut Creek, California
True. I doubt a pharmacist was available that late at night, though. Interesting to learn that you have NHS Direct. It medicine in England more or less what we call "socialized"?
@Auntylou (4318)
• Oxford, England
@TheHorse Yes, the National Health service is paid for by our taxes and then free at the point of use. So we don't pay directly for doctor and hospital appointments or treatment. Medical care used to be private and most Brits are so glad it changed!
• Walnut Creek, California
@Auntylou Of course, that's controversial here. Obamacare may or may not have been a good idea, but the way it was implemented was something of a disaster.
We used to have such a line here at our local hospital. I called when my mother became sick with a weird lasting cold. I found out that what she was eating, thinking it was good for her, was not at all. We changed her diet and when that didn't seem to change anything we took her to the doctor and, in running some tests, found out she had cancer. The Nurse's line was helpful.
• Walnut Creek, California
Glad the nurse line was helpful. Was your mom able to survive the cancer?
@TheHorse ....No. They were able to remove all but 3% of the cancer and that is what killed her. She wouldn't go through Chemo.
• Walnut Creek, California
@celticeagle Sorry to hear that. I've lost a few people to cancer.
hi @TheHorse I called mine just once but boy was she helpful I told her I needed some blood tests done but ran out of funds for the acess bus. She came to my room, took all the blood tests and sent them t myh doctor. That was super kind of her too
• Walnut Creek, California
The HMOs probably "exploit" them to reduce the number of actual doctor visits. But boy have they been helpful to me as well! I'm glad your experience was good too.
@TheHorse i was realyl surprsed when she offered to do that and she did show up and took all the tests
• Walnut Creek, California
@Hatley It's cool that there are still people out there who go above and beyond the call of duty.
I don't belong to Kaiser. If I have a minor thing, I stop in to CVS to see the medical team. Otherwise, I call my doctor. Insurance pays for everything, except a $15 co-pay.
• Walnut Creek, California
I have a co-pay as well. I think it's $30 right now. It may have been only $15 at my old job.
@TheHorse My son uses an insurance company that has a $30 co-pay. It is still reasonable considering the cost of any visit.
• Walnut Creek, California
@DianneN Exactly. I don't object at all.
I've never heard of an advice nurse. It's reassuring to know that one might be available though!
• Walnut Creek, California
Do you have medical insurance through work? It's worth it to check. It's a free service for those of us with Kaiser.
@TheHorse I do have medical insurance. I'll have to check..
• Walnut Creek, California
@missjessicadawn Cool. I hope the info winds up being helpful to you. I don't use the advice nurse much (I know what a cold feels like, etc.), but when I do, I'm glad that they tend to be kinder and more professional than the doctors themselves.
I never used an Advice Nurse before. I just research remedies online instead. I hate sty's!
• Walnut Creek, California
Yeah, they're not usually "dangerous," but they're a pain. I just talked to my friend. Hers isn't better, so she's heading to Urgent Care this afternoon. I do a lot of research on-line too.
@TheHorse Oh no. I hope your friend feels better. Usually I can feel a sty coming and before I do - I put hot water pressure on my eyes along with wash my eyes with baby shampoo and I'm good to go. No sty.
• Walnut Creek, California
@infatuatedbby Maybe the baby shampoo (no more tears!) washes away the bacteria that was trying to get you.
We have 'Ask a Nurse' here and not associated with any insurance, but is provided by the local hospital. I've used it once. It's a free service.
• Walnut Creek, California
That's a cool thing. Does the hospital "gain" somehow by doing this service?
@TheHorse They do if the nurse recommends you get to the hospital asap. Which on that occasion I needed to. They gained by giving me a bill
We can never get a hold of anyone when we call.
• Walnut Creek, California
What insurer do you have? Sometimes I have to wait but I always get through. I'd file a complaint if I were you. The psychologist in me knows that just talking to someone alleviates stress, which can help activate the immune system.
I often come across posts from Americans that this service provider doesn't provide this, that or the other. I think ours all provide much the same just at different rates, etc. Everyone pays a health care levy in their taxes which funds Medicare, a government health fund. Then you can opt for private insurance with any number of providers. Dental, hospital, maternity cover, etc might by optional and you make your choices. For non-urgent, non-critical cases and advice you can dial Healthdirect and speak to a Registered Nurse. If she thinks it necessary she will put you through to a doctor for more specialised advice. This is a free service and not connected to any of the health funds.
• Walnut Creek, California
Interesting! So basic heath care IS "socialized" as in many (all?) Euro countries? I get my insurance through one of my jobs. But I have options about things like which plan, is dental included, etc. A bit comes out of each paychck, but it's still a good deal for me.
@TheHorse When we lived where there was no doctor and an emergency meant calling in the Flying Doctor we opted for the highest cover. For years we weren't game enough to drop a level - tempting fate and all that. We still have good cover although Medicare is very efficient too. The main difference would probably be that if you're only in Medicare you'd go on a waiting list for most operations. It annoys me that the first thing you're asked at any medical office is if you're say you have private cover. I have images of them adding another 0 to the bill. Many doctors 'bulk bill' so a visit to the doctor often costs you nothing as they claim straight off the government. This sometimes results in rorts too especially with doctors from countries where corruption is rife.
• Walnut Creek, California
@JudyEv I've heard the same sort of thing about Canada--that socialized medicine is good for routine maintenance, but you might have to wait 25 years if you need a liver transplant.
This old lady didn't know Advice Nurses either but I'm glad you wrote about this. See, once again, I learned something new here today
• Walnut Creek, California
Did you see @ElizabethWallace's response? I learned something too!
@TheHorse now I learned two things today
• Walnut Creek, California
@Marilynda1225 Useful information, I think!
I think we have something like that here, but I've never had to call, fortunately.
• Walnut Creek, California
You re blessed. Or are you 25?
@TheHorse - double that and add a year. I've been lucky, I guess.
• Walnut Creek, California
@teamfreak16 Ah, so you're in the "normal" MyLot demographic, as am I. I've been lucky too.
@Auntylou (4318)
• Oxford, England
We have an NHS helpline number, though it i quite controversial as it is just a help line with nurses on call behind the scenes. I am sure that if we take out private health insurance such would be there. I tend to use my sister who is a nurse!
• Walnut Creek, California
Yes, I have a first cousin who is an endocrinologist, but knowledgeable in many area of medicine. I contact him for some general questions. What is controversial about the NHS Helpline?
@Auntylou (4318)
• Oxford, England
@TheHorse That the staff are not trained medical professionals, and go through long tick boxes , not always appreciating the nature and severity of symptoms.
• Walnut Creek, California
@Auntylou Ah, OK. The ones I've spoken with here have been quite competnet. I don't use doctors often, but that's been my experience thus far.
@Plethos (10920)
advice nurse? i dont even have a health plan.
• Walnut Creek, California
What do you do when you have an in-grown toenail or kidney failure or something?
@Plethos (10920)
@TheHorse - die
@DaddyEvil (25922)
• Aurora, Missouri
Yes, I find it somewhat shocking that a businesswoman wouldn't have found out that she was not just allowed to call an "Advice Nurse", but usually encouraged to use their services! An "Advice Nurse" invariably costs less than a doctor's visit, but can usually explain how to keep an illness or other treatable problem from escalating far enough that the average person needs to see a doctor.... That saves the insurance company money! Yep! I have used the nurse my insurance pays to answer my questions several times over the years. I've always found them helpful and sympathetic to a problem...
• Walnut Creek, California
I was really surprised my friend hadn't heard about them, or didn't know she had access. I asked her tonight if she wanted to be my agent. I want to do trainings for doctors about how not to be a--holes.
@DaddyEvil (25922)
• Aurora, Missouri
@TheHorse Uhm... I know you didn't ask my opinion, but may I suggest you find a better descriptive phrase for your training program? Someone might take offense at your wording... I'm just sayin'! It is funny, but I'd rather whatever you get into take off to the good, not drown you in anything else! Good luck with it, if you really do that! I believe in you, pony!
what kind of OTC meds? like a pain killer or some kind of creme? I get those things now and then and they are ANNOYING. I dont know if we have an advice nurse, but for small things we can telladoc, and get meds without seeing anyone
• Walnut Creek, California
It was eye drops with sulfur and other stuff in them. What is "telladoc"?C
@TheHorse you go online and req an appointment call, then the dr calls you back, for small things, they can send prescriptions to your pharmacy. All over the phone, no appt needed. costs more than it does for me to go to the dr though, but nice for convenience sake
• Walnut Creek, California
@Jessicalynnt That sounds like a good system. I can actually do that with my Dr. as well. It's called a telephone appointment, or something like that.
Yes, several times I have called. I have found them to be most helpful,
• Walnut Creek, California
Why are they so much better than the doctors themselves?
@TheHorse Not more helpful than the doctor, but helpful in deciding if a trip to the ER is necessary.
• Walnut Creek, California
@Jeanniemaries To me, they've been more helpful in engaging me in dialog and helping be decide what might be wrong. They've also been more compassionate and supportive, reducing cortisol and making me feel a touch better immediately after speaking with them.
Alberta Health Care has something like that to call. My husband has called. I don't know what it's called - not advice nurse. Anyway they were very helpful to him and saved us a trip to emergency just to be seen for a minor thing. A great service to have way out in the country side. I would think every insurance company would have one as it will save them money!
• Walnut Creek, California
That was my thought as well (a way to save money). I was really surprised my friend didn't know she had one available.
@TheHorse You would think the insurance provider would promote it. All though I don't know if that service existed when my girls were young. Maybe it did and I never knew. So lots of people may not know about it.
I have called them, but really not much help, they are looking up the information, the same way I can on the internet. If I feel like it is an emergency , I will just go to ER if the doctors office is closed. The most an advice nurse has told me is to call the doc in the morning, or go to ER.
• Walnut Creek, California
Oh, I've had long, helpful discussions with the ones here. I can't even remember what they were about, but I remember coming away pleased--and relieved.
@TheHorse most of ours, just seem to be reading a script. I have some eye sty drops on hand, they work fast. Haven't had to deal with that for a long time.
@Marcyaz (35606)
Yes I know about advice nurses as my secondary insurance says I can call them if I have any problems but I never have done so as if I have a problem I can call my doctors office.
• Walnut Creek, California
I can email my Doctor, but he gives canned responses--not very helpful.
@Marcyaz (35606)
@TheHorse No, that would not be helpful at all.
@Platespinner (17062)
I've never called the advice nurse, but then I rarely have any health problems. The last couple of times I've been to an urgent care clinic it was just to get a prescription for antibiotics. I already knew what the problem was and knew there was no OTC medicines that would help (stupid UTIs).
• Walnut Creek, California
You had to see a Doctor before you got the antibiotics, right? I've never used Urgent Care.
@TheHorse You got it.