can I optimize my computer for free?

The scan said,my computer needs to be optimized. I went to google and read and don't quite understand what I am reading. I do understand that is makes your computer crawl. I found something that I think is asking me to download it. What right now I forget but is that something I need to take the computer in the shop for? also it said,firefox needs to be updated. I followed the directions and went to the top right corner and hit the menu option. but the ? and help are not there that I was to click on. Help.. Thanks very much.
You're going to need a stiff drink when you are done Good luck!
you can say that again. defragging is taking forever.
@sharon6345 ....It's a good thing to do though and will really help your PC.
@sharon6345 It does take a long time. Usually I defrag when I can be away from the computer. I just check back and make sure it doesn't go to sleep on me.
@Ladypeace (2076)
I would stay away from anti virus programs because they slow down the computer and they don't do much to help. I recommend you reformat your computer when you have the time and block all updates and delete any anti virus programs. I've been doing great this way. My brother who's a software engineer taught me that.
Ok now I am super confused here. I blocked the updates over a week ago due to another post I read here. My reformat is not going to happen. I would ruin my computer not knowing how to do that to begin with. if I remove the anti virus protection what do I do about getting a virus.
@Ladypeace (2076)
@sharon6345 Reformatting your computer is not as complicated as it seems. 1. Go to control panel uninstall program and remove your anti virus programs 2. Head to system and security turn automatic updating off 3. When you find time factory reset your computer (let me know the model of yours)
@Ladypeace when you say model do you mean the name acer?
You can use the defragment tool on either CCleaner (I assume you have this?) or just on your computer. The Defragment tool can be found through the accessories menu on older windows machines or by typing it int he search field on the newer windows (windows 8 & 10) I would uninstall firefox, use the CCleaner's registry tool to get rid of all of the backlinks etc that stays on and then re-install it. Make sure you have another browser installed before you uninstall firefox.
Ok that I can do with chrome. Thanks very much for the help.
@sharon6345 Do what @ ScribbledAdNauseum said to do. That is what I would have told you to do.
@sharon6345 I had to get rid of firefox myself. I updated it and it still gave me trouble. I use chrome now and haven't had any problems. Good luck, hope you can get all the computer stuff fixed soon.