Artex, Tupperware, and So On

@Raelove (17737)
Saco, Maine
When I was very young, embroidery was still considered a fine home art. I remember my mother teaching me how to do it, but that's where it ended, as I didn't redevelop an interest in it till much later. Then, during the 1970's, something called Artex appeared on the scene. It was paint sold in tubes that you applied to a pattern on cloth the same as you would with floss or thread, only it took a lot less time and wasn't as involved. It became a craze around here at that time, with women hosting home parties to sell the paint and the preprinted designs and hopefully make a business of it or at least get some free items. Of course, the idea was to get guests to host their own parties, and so on. But like all those types of sales parties, once you started inviting the same people over and over again, it could get expensive. So that went the way of the wind, much like Tupperware parties did. I remember other types of parties for lingerie, home decor, makeup and cookware, too, and I've wondered if they're still done. I never hear of them anymore. The last one I did hear of was something called Pampered Chef, which focused on cookware and kitchen utensils. A friend of mine went about 10 years ago, and raved about the quality of the items she bought. Liquid embroidery is still around, and it's called fabric paint now. And I know that Tupperware is still available, though I'm not sure if it's sold via the party route anymore. The last party I went to was in the 70's, and I think I might have one piece of Tupperware left from those years! (Public Domain Image)
I have seen this kind of home parties in the movies, we never had something like this in my country, I think it was funny.
@Raelove (17737)
• Saco, Maine
It was. It brought people together, and I often spent money I couldn't afford to on this stuff.
@Raelove I see, funny but expensive too, I can imagine how things go.
@Raelove (17737)
• Saco, Maine
@LadyDuck It really isn't anything people need at a basic level. Just another way to have fun while spending money on stuff they don't really need.
Hobbytex was the same as Artex but was perhaps more popular here. I still have lots of Tupperware. Clothing parties were popular for a while but luckily I don't get invited to any of these nowadays which suits me fine. My young grand-nieces all have Thermomixes now which cook anything and everything all by themselves. I think these are sold on the party plan too.
@Raelove (17737)
• Saco, Maine
There was a also a cookware deal that included a huge electric frying pan that I ended up buying. It was expensive stuff and I kept that pan for years. I did go to a lingerie party way back when I was still physically suited for such things.
@Raelove Bummer, isn't it?
@Scindhia (1943)
• Chennai, India
@Raelove You have a good sense of humor!
I was a Tupperware Dealer in the late 60's early 70's and I know I still have pieces from that original kit I was issued. Yes, they still have parties. No I don't need any! I did liquid embroidery - that brings back memories.
@Raelove (17737)
• Saco, Maine
It sure does. I remember doing a black velvet piece, though that is long gone now. And a friend of mine had done a growth chart with Artex when my son was born in 1980. Tupperware was good stuff back in the day. I haven't seen any recent pieces in a long time.
@Raelove For a while years ago they made Tupperware for the oven/microwave - I use those pieces often.
@Raelove (17737)
• Saco, Maine
@AbbyGreenhill That's right. Because way back before then, people were reporting that some pieces melted in the microwave. Happened to me with a bowl, and after that, I recall them coming up with microwaveable pieces.
@Scindhia (1943)
• Chennai, India
I had craft lessons in school in which embroidery was a part of. I haven't heard of Artex though I have seen such paints. I use Tupperware at home. Those Tupperware parties sound cool.
@Raelove (17737)
• Saco, Maine
They were all right if you like that sort of thing. I only went out of a sense of obligation to friends who were trying to earn some merchandise.
@Scindhia (1943)
• Chennai, India
@Raelove From @AbbyGreenhill comment, looks like they still have tupperware parties. Are you curious to attend one now?
@Raelove (17737)
• Saco, Maine
@Scindhia Not at all. If I need plastic containers, I just save cottage cheese tubs or buy them at the dollar stores. Much much cheaper.
@Lucky15 (33669)
I only knew tupperware. Got lots of them still :)
@Raelove (17737)
• Saco, Maine
I think I have one small square container, but not sure if I have the lid to it! LOL
@Lucky15 (33669)
@Raelove ahaha..we have the same issue..indon't know where the lids go.
@Raelove (17737)
• Saco, Maine
@Lucky15 I've bought lots of other cheaper containers since then, and I now keep all the lids in one place. This piece of Tupperware is very old and has survived many moves. But apparently the lid didn't!
Interesting. I was taught to embroidery also as a child. Taught all the stitches and such. My mom even tatted and I would love to have learned how to do that. I loved the lacey look of the product.
@Raelove (17737)
• Saco, Maine
I had a friend years ago who used to do tatting. My eyesight wouldn't be good enough now for such fine work, but it is beautiful.
@Raelove ...I probably wouldn't be able to do it for the same reason. I thought it was so lovely.
@Raelove (17737)
• Saco, Maine
@celticeagle This woman made a huge wall hanging of the Last Supper all in white lace. It was beautiful and took her months to finish.
@LoriAMoore (4693)
I've never heard of Artex, but then again I'm not a crafter. I used to be a Tupperware sales lady doing home parties 30 years ago.
@Raelove (17737)
• Saco, Maine
I'm not much of a crafter either, and I never would have heard of it had friends not turned me on to it. As for Tupperware, it makes more economical sense to me to save cottage cheese containers than spend $20 for a set of theirs.
@kamel622 (312)
The last one I went to was Sophia Lea...a jewelry party. It was okay but I got burned out on those parties years ago. Ahh embroidery I did it a lot of years ago too. I enjoyed it.
@Raelove (17737)
• Saco, Maine
I can't remember the jewelry party my daughter had that I went to. They had nice stuff, though, and not too expensive. Long time ago.
Years ago, I went to a Pampered Chef party. Have not been to any of those parties hosted to sell products in years.
@Raelove (17737)
• Saco, Maine
I think the last one I did go to was way back in the 80's. Don't need anything that badly anymore!
• Uzbekistan
I've never been at such a party. Have I missed anything?
@Raelove (17737)
• Saco, Maine
You didn't miss a thing! Everything you could ever buy at those parties is available everywhere, and probably at a lower cost, too, in some cases.
Pampered Chef, Tupperware: those are the parties that I went to. Never did one tough as I had no interest in having all the people in for a party. Still have Tupperware with my lids. I like my Pampered Chef pizza cutter.
@Raelove (17737)
• Saco, Maine
I did get a Pampered Chef clay baker as a gift a few years ago but never used it. I gave it away in one of my moves. I bought lots of Tupperware over those years, and some things I used more than others.
I remember Artex. I didn't get into the selling end but used it a lot to make pretty things. *be well*
@Raelove (17737)
• Saco, Maine
I didn't either. I had a party and bought some of the stuff. But I'm not a business person, so that end of it didn't interest me.
Like yourself, I was taught to emboirder and I have done up until a few years ago. I've several small pictures, a couple of quilts, tablecloths, placemats and so on. When I was about 4 or 5 years old my mother would bleach the flour bags white and then hem them and put a transfer on each for me to use the liquid embroidery. I've bought from many house parties, I didn't realize that the liquid embroidery began that way, I was too young to realize. I've got a nice big pizza round from the pampered chef, along with a few other nice pieces, candles, clothing of all sorts, and of course Tupperware. But Tupperware, like avon, can now be ordered online. They've survived the test of time by keeping up with the times and going digitally.
@Raelove (17737)
• Saco, Maine
I'd love to have all the money I spent on Avon through the years. I would find someone at work who sold it and get hooked all over again. I have none of that left anymore, either. My mother used to iron transfers onto pillow cases, and I still have a pair she had made for me. They keep me close to her when I'm sleeping...
@salonga (27957)
I attended few Tupperware parties and they were all enjoyable. I even became a Tupperware sales agent for quite sometime but i had to quit because I was busy with my regular job. I still have lots of tupperware in my kitchen.
@Raelove (17737)
• Saco, Maine
The parties were fun sometimes. But you could end up going to too many of them if everyone you knew hosted one!
There are still so many parties, There is a candle one and tea ones in addition to the ones you've mentioned.