That Makes NO Sense to Me!

Winston Salem, North Carolina
On Tuesday afternoon my son and I walked into the fabric store that I seem to visit on a nearly weekly basis. Imagine my surpise when I saw big Store Liquidation, Everything Must Go! signs in the windows. I walked into the store and was a little bemused to see 20% off everything, minimum 2 yard fabric cuts, store chain coupons can no longer be accepted. The store was teaming with people. The checkout line was long. This store has NEVER been this busy, and if the liquidation sale was offering good prices I could understand, but 20% off is ridiculous, and a minimum cut of 2 yards caused us to turn around and drive across town to the another store in the same chain. Store number 2 is not in the process of closing. The fabric we wanted was already on sale for 30% off and we only needed ¾ of a yard. I rarely buy anything from this chain that isn’t either on sale at 30-40% off or, even better, use a 50% off coupon for any item not already on sale. A couple of weeks ago I scored a coupon for 50% off any regular or sale priced merchandise. I was a very happy customer. I’ll go back to the store that is in the process of closing, but until prices are down to at least 50% off, the liquidation sale isn’t really worth the time and effort. What about you, do you get excited over liquidation sales? Do you check to see whether the mark down is actually going to save any money?
• Lakewood, Colorado
I get excited at any kind of sale friend. I am glad you were able to get what you needed at a decent price. Yes best to wait, as the prices will go down considerably if they are closing.
Funny thing is, the other store is actually closer to the house, but takes longer to get to because I can't just hop on the interstate...
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Platespinner Oh I see Joanne. Yes the interstate makes the trip faster.
@divalounger (2276)
Interesting difference in price and service levels! I think it is all about customer service!
I just found it weird that the store that was in liquidation actually was charging higher prices and had way more customers than the store that is not trying to clear out all merchandise.
@Platespinner That is odd! The psychology of the word "sale"
@pgiblett (6649)
Our fabric store closed a couple of years ago. Truth is the store never had more than one person in it at any time and that is no good when it employs at least 2 staff.
This fabric store was never busy, but there were ALWAYS multiple customers in the store. Just nothing near the number that were shopping the liquidation sale.
@pgiblett (6649)
@Platespinner I think that is the problem. The company cannot afford to keep the store open if there are not enough customers. My wife always felt part of the problem was limited fabric choice, they could have doubled the amount available in the same store space.
• Eugene, Oregon
I am always careful about sales like that. Some "liquidation" sales go on for months and new merchandise keeps showing up.
This is a genuine liquidation sale. I spoke briefly with one of the employees (I'm in there often enough that they know me) the store IS closing, but it's currently being managed by a firm that specializes in liquidations.
• Eugene, Oregon
@Platespinner Those always seem to be the worst ones.
I always love a good deal. I hate to pay full price.
I love a good deal myself, but what these people were all excited about was most decidedly NOT a good deal!
@irishidid (8119)
I say best to get it sold and forget recouping losses because that rarely happens. There was a bunch of Valentine candy on sale at my grocery store. Prices weren't low enough for me.
In past years I've bought valentines candy for 75% off or more. I'm trying to not eat sugar right now, so even if they want to give it away I need to walk on by.
@RonElFran (901)
• Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
Some outlets are in perpetual liquidation mode. I guess it makes people think they are getting a bargain.
This isn't an outlet. It's a single store that is part of a national chain that is being closed. The other two stores in our area are not effected.
I am not always excited by liquidation sales because, most of the time, the first days the prices are not reduced enough.
I'll wait a few weeks before I go back. If I'm going to add to my fabric stash I need to at least be able to say that it was 50% off or more...
I haven't been to any liquidation sales. I love the clearance sales though. I always find great deals when I shop clearance sales.
I appreciate any good sale. They will need to pull their prices down significantly further before I get excited.
I had a favorite store called Fashion Bug that closed and they didn't offer any spectacular sales as they liquidated. Maybe as they go on the sales will be more (like you said 50%) but certainly not worth buying more than you need for a measly 20%
• Lakewood, Colorado
I remember Fashion Bug
@lilnana1111 (2462)
Oh yes, who doesn't like a bargain, 50% coupons are great!
Absolutely!
@LoriAMoore (9687)
You're right, that makes no sense.
I wonder how long it will take before they drop prices to a more appealing discount.
I heard that the chain Hancocks fabrics is closing
From what I just researched they have filed chapter 11 and are closing 70 stores. Of the three stores in our area only one is closing.
Yes, I do like them, I figure the price is up a bit over what they actually paid for it, they will make some profit. I have to be careful at something like this to buy what I will actually use, not just buy a bunch of stuff because it is on sale.
I usually buy what I need as I go--fabric is the one area that I tend to be a bit of a hoarder. Shhhhh don't tell my husband!
It's the same in grocery stores. Even quite large markdowns don't always give you the cheapest product.
I never shop at those sort of stores - the only ones I shop at are food stores. Sounds as if you got a good bargain at the other store.
@garymarsh6 (12100)
Yes that seems not to be such a bargain. I don't get excited about any shopping. I am not a keen shopper at all and avoid it like the plague. It is only a bargain if you absolutely need it.
• Midland, Michigan
That's actually pretty funny considering there was another store within that chain nearby. It's a wonder they didn't think about that, or that the customers didn't think either.They probably got people that didn't normally shop there, that's why they were oblivious to it being less off than normal. I don't go to liquidation sales. My store has lots of clearance merchandise between seasons and many times they have an additional percentage off.
I don't go to liquidation sales myself, usually, I only went to this one because I didn't know the store was slated to close.
@UncleJoe (8093)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Depends on the liquid.
Just quietly grins, shakes head and moves on...
@LeaPea2417 (14650)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Yes, I get excited about those liquidation sales, but it is sad that the store you mention is closing.