Extreme Cheapskates

@Ladypeace (2076)
Singapore
Some penny pinchers take the sport of saving money to a whole new level. The following saving methods would make your grandma feel ashamed that you were born. Dumpster diving for all of your food Cutting your own hair Enrolling in clinical trials Collecting free samples of condiments, household and sanitary products Finding second hand furniture from the streets Cooking in the dishwasher Reusing pasta sauce from leftover plates Unpeeling bananas and taking grapes off vines so they’ll weigh less Carrying a torchlight around the house and using candles as sources of light Peeing into a jar to avoid flushing the toilet Seeking breast milk donors from your yoga classes and nearby parks for your baby Donating blood in exchange for free cookies Eating fresh road kill and making gifts out of road kill fur and hide Reusing paper towels and dental floss Purchasing unusual cuts of meat from the butcher (e.g. goat’s head) Couch surfing while on vacation Cleaning with soap and water instead of toilet paper Digging up used refill cups and popcorn boxes of cinema goers and getting free refills Bringing your own food (e.g. rice) to a restaurant and getting the waiter to heat it up for you Eating off strangers’ leftover plates in restaurants Making your own shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, washing liquid etc. Leaving the price tag on clothes, wearing them for 2 weeks and bringing them back to the store for a refund Using the toilet in shops and taking showers at the gym Rationing food and water (e.g. counting number the of cheerios, 5 family members taking turns to bathe in a tub of water per day) Which do you think sticks out as the least acceptable? Or perhaps, you are liking what you see?
You got pretty stomach churning on some of those. Reusing floss, shudder. However, there's nothing wrong with taking free samples and collecting the shampoo bottles when staying at a hotel. Also you can find furniture (not mattresses or couches) like desks or cabinets that can be refurbished.
@Ladypeace (2076)
Yes, those seem fine if they are occasional. But for cheapskates, they rely solely on samples and 2nd hand furniture to get by. Agree that reusing floss is gross.
Some of these things make me want to vomit!!!! I tried making my own detergent, but didn't like it.
@Ladypeace (2076)
Oh dear, lol! Cheapskates do make their homemade laundry detergent using vinegar and baking soda. Which isn't very appetizing.
• Denmark
Argh! Disgusting! Repulsive! Couch surfing is OK, though. I know respectable people who've done that and who've had many couch surfers in their house themselves.
@Ladypeace (2076)
Mmm yeah, couch surfing is one of the reasonable ones. The rest are cringe worthy.
Well, eating leftover food from the plates of stranger is pretty darn awful. The rest are pitiful things to do too.
@Ladypeace (2076)
I agree. I would never do that but I've seen strangers eating the leftover plates of others.
How about coupon-ing though? I have seen couponers save a ton of money! I don't know if I will do any of those.. I don't cut my own hair but there are times when I don't want to go to the salon and ask my dad to cut my hair for me, ha-ha. No one knows the difference.
@Ladypeace (2076)
Couponing's a skill, I've seen it but don't do it myself. Aw, how nice of your dad to trim you hair for you, he must real good as no one could tell.
@Ladypeace I used to get compliments too! Ha-ha. I just get the same style so no one notices much. I coupon here and there just not extreme. If I see the coupon and it's an item I need ~ I'll get it or from the Target app. Does Singapore accept coupons?
@Ladypeace (2076)
@infatuatedbby Yes we do, but not to the extend of what you have in the states.
Surely not all of these are for real? We've had couch-surfers and we have couch-surfed which we think is fine.
@Ladypeace (2076)
These are for real and people do them on TLC's extreme cheapskates. Couch surfing is one of the acceptable ones.
@Ladypeace I'm glad it's considered acceptable. :)
@Marcyaz (36126)
This is unbelievable that anyone would be this way. How foolish to do these things.
@Ladypeace (2076)
Yeah, but they do exist for real. It's an alternate lifestyle for sure.
@Marcyaz (36126)
@Ladypeace They may exist but I would be skeptical unless I actually saw someone doing those things. I would not call it an alternate lifestyle but something else.
@scheng1 (24950)
Not all are cheapskates behavior. It is a norm to take a shower at the gym. That is why they make you pay for it. They have included the water bill and the usage of towel into the cost. Cleaning with soap and water and not using toilet paper is part of culture in some countries. It is cheapskate behavior in your country, but not in other countries.
@Ladypeace (2076)
Yeah like you've stated some of those behaviors on the list aren't considered that cheapskate after all.
Some of these items don't seem bad, but most of them do. Yuk!
@Ladypeace (2076)
Lol, yeah some are fine but the rest just makes you want to get out of there.
@yukimori (8542)
Yeah, no. My grandparents were born during the Great Depression. My grandfather's motto was "If it's free, take it." Didn't matter if it was something he actually needed... he'd take it anyway. *shrug* I stoop to cutting my own hair because I can never get anyone else to do it the way I like it. Totally guilty of picking up furniture off the curbs, too... if it's solid wood and in good shape, where's the shame in upcycling it into something better than new?
@Ladypeace (2076)
Those two are the acceptable ones. People do cut their own hair and fringes at home or pick up 2nd hand furniture off their neighbors. And yes, seeing your grandpa's motto, perhaps those people who are frugal to the point of danger have been through tough times.