Today's Challenge: Happiness!

@Raelove (17605)
Saco, Maine
Do you ever have a day when you get up and, by some small miracle, nothing hurts and you actually feel like it's going to be a good day? I'm 65, so there are many mornings when I drag myself out of bed in some sort of pain and I run for the medicine cabinet. Then, other mornings, I wake up feeling pretty good and energized, and today, I am happy to report, is one of those! I can see the sun coming up over the trees across the street, and it's supposed to warm up into the 40's (Fahrenheit) later. I am meeting a friend for lunch and then maybe doing a bit of shopping. Tomorrow, I'm going to another friend's house for brunch, and to visit with her and another lady for awhile. I haven't seen the "other lady" in many years, so that will be fun. I can honestly say that this is the first time in nearly five years that my life has made any sense. After selling my home in 2012 and moving a few times to different apartments, I was in a financial bind again, as I have found myself so often in life since my partner died in 2001. Already no stranger to money problems, I was able to manage, but it wasn't fun living with that cloud hanging over me, no matter what I did. Now, I am finally in a place where I am not living hand-to-mouth anymore and I can get back into enjoying life again. When you don't have a lot of money, it's hard to keep up with those friends who do and who don't understand why you can't spend $20 on a night out. You become reclusive and resentful, and I was tired of living like that. That's all behind me now, and here I am, facing a beautiful day with an enthusiasm I thought I'd lost forever. A lot of it is a mind-set. We can choose to bemoan what we don't have or celebrate what we do. And today, I'm doing the latter, and I will make it spill over into tomorrow, too! I hope YOU all have great days, too. Let's make that today's challenge: think ourselves right into happiness and being thankful to be alive! (Public Domain Image)
Money worries can taint everything in your life and often we are too proud to admit to our friends that we can't afford to do things. I suspect that most of them would love to treat us if they knew but we would be too proud to accept. I am glad that this part of your life is behind you. When my husband was forced out on disability and I had lost my job we had a pretty tight time for a year or so I understand. I had to opt to take early retirement and pension and that will affect our income for the rest of our lives. I am finding the Florida sun really improves my happiness level, no winter doldrums.
@Raelove (17605)
• Saco, Maine
Money worries can drag you down so badly, because it literally affects every aspect of your life. I've had people treat me when they knew I couldn't afford things, but that gets old, too, and you'd just rather not, as it's just a reminder that you can't do it yourself OR treat them. I'm enjoying this time in my life to the fullest, and I am going to try very hard to continue to see my glass half full instead of half empty.
@PatZAnthony (13056)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
@Raelove and the glass is also refillable.
I simply cannot afford to 'bite off more than I can chew as I am not prepared to choke' . . .
@rosekiss (30260)
• Eugene, Oregon
I have back pain, and it hurts most f the time, but I am still glad that I have ben given another day of life. I have been struggling for a long time with my back pain, and I know it will come to an end eventually. I have been coping with it the best I know how.
@Raelove (17605)
• Saco, Maine
That's all you can do, Karen. One day at a time. And if we wake up, then it's one more that was given to us.
@rosekiss (30260)
• Eugene, Oregon
@Raelove You are so right, as we never know how many more days we are going to have on this erth, so each one is very precious and I value each one so much.
@Raelove (17605)
• Saco, Maine
@rosekiss So do I, and even if things aren't going too well, I try to find things to do that are fun and that take my mind off them.
There is a similar problem if one's friends and relatives are in that financial hard place. You have no one with whom to go out and enjoy life. I have the funds, but only a few of my friends and none of my family can go with me. So I end up going alone most of the time. Not as much fun. So I have been making some new friends in the last few years.
@Raelove (17605)
• Saco, Maine
In my case, I don't know anyone who was in my financial boat the same time I was. Making new friends who are more in your league makes perfect sense. Good luck with that, and may you enjoy many pleasant moments with them.
@Raelove I think I may have found some who can travel in the photography group I joined. Now, if they would just select locations that are not in the desert. Sigh.
@Raelove (17605)
• Saco, Maine
@ElizabethWallace I doubt I'd enjoy the desert for very long. I need lots of vegetation.
@KristenH (24988)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Great challenge, Rachel. So awe-inspiring with great thoughts.
@Raelove (17605)
• Saco, Maine
My pleasure! It was just too nice a day to let myself be unhappy. The way I see it now is that each day that I spend feeling sad is one I'll never get back. So my goal is to try to spend as many as I can working on feeling more content.
@KristenH (24988)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@Raelove That's just lovely, Rachel.
@Raelove (17605)
• Saco, Maine
@KristenH Thanks!
Your post is an inspiration to us all! Life is a struggle for so many of us, but always recognizing all that we have to be thankful when we are feeling down makes for days that are filled with joy.
@Raelove (17605)
• Saco, Maine
It's a constant battle, but one that can be won more often than lost. I've spent way too much time fretting. It's time now to enjoy the good years I have left to me.
First, let me say that I am very glad that you are feeling so happy today. Enjoy it to the max. No sun here yet but it is early. I hope I can go out but do not know until later if I will feel strong enough for it. Keeping my fingers crossed. I could use a good day too!
@Raelove (17605)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks...I have trouble feeling positive on gloomy days, too, or when I don't feel well. And even if you don't feel strong enough to go out, I hope you find something indoors to make you happy.
Since Monday through Thursday the waking up and going to sleep was great and then late last night as the weather continued to change, I woke up this morning with a pounding sinus pressure headache which had me sleeping in very late and being cranky . . . although the 'extra' rest helped, the pressure is still annoying
@Raelove (17605)
• Saco, Maine
A sinus headache is awful. I've had them. I've been lucky lately, as I've had no major illnesses so far this winter. Fingers crossed. Hope you are able to get past this soon.
Oh I will as I always do but I was doing so well . . . three weeks since the last one and since nothing else health-wise is out of whack, not being so close to perfect, was a bit of a bummer . . . thanks for stopping by and wishing me well @Raelove
@Raelove (17605)
• Saco, Maine
@enlightenedpsych2 You're welcome, Erica. Yes, it is frustrating to get sick when things have been going so well. This, too, shall pass, and soon for your sake, I hope.
How lovely to read such an upbeat post. I am pleased things are a little easier for you now. If I was on my own I think I would find it very hard to be as courageous as you and some of the folk on here who are having to cope with all sorts of things on their own. Hope your day is wonderful.
@Raelove (17605)
• Saco, Maine
And same to you! Yes, it's been a hard road for sure since D passed away. But I am a resourceful person and was able to do a lot by myself before I finally sold my home. I hung on there for 10 years with very little money but lots of determination. I finally got tired of living that way, but believe me when I say that I miss that place and that life, and if things had been different, I'd still be there. The years following that got progressively harder, but now, that is all behind me. And I choose to be thankful for what I do have now, which is far more than some. I heard a great line yesterday on a soap opera, of all places. It went something like "Don't cry for what you no longer have. Smile because you had it." I love that! Thanks, Judy!
@Raelove That is a great line - especially for a soap opera! I need to remember that as I sometimes get a bit sad that I can't have my ponies any more - but when I can barely bend over to cut my toenails I feel better (that I haven't ponies to look after) - until I feel worse ('cause I can't reach my nails!). Which means I only cut my nails on the good days when I can reach them. I swear I haven't been drinking although this is really starting to ramble now.
@Raelove (17605)
• Saco, Maine
@JudyEv Hey, you're allowed an occasional ramble. I'm just glad I'm not the only one who can't reach her toenails! There is joy to be found in shared afflictions! On a more serious note, I could cry to think of all that I was capable of not that long ago. But now, I just put what energy and strength I have left into the things that please me. And it works, most of the time...most of the time...
I love those days when I get up and nothing hurts and it makes me wonder why I don't have those days more often. I can relate to much of what you say (esp the finances and not being able to do things because of money) but I try to celebrate my blessings rather than cry over what isn't. Continue to spread your happiness and cheer....
@Raelove (17605)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks so much. And I do wish you fewer achey days and more sunshine!
@Lucky15 (33698)
As my day ends...i look back and i am so thankful to eveything that happened. And i am happy :)
@Raelove (17605)
• Saco, Maine
Mission accomplished. And may tomorrow be a happy day for you, too.
I just can't remember if I already took my morning meds or not after reading this. Other than that, it is one of the few mornings in recent memory that I have awakened feeling peaceful enough not to run everyone over on my way to work. We're supposed to hit 60 today, it was already 52 when I woke up, so not bad at all.
@Raelove (17605)
• Saco, Maine
I know the feeling. We've had lots of issues in our family lately that made for some long thoughtful aka depressing days. I generally take that just so long and then snap myself out of it. As for meds, I did take something a few months ago that left me feeling like a zombie. The whole point was to reach a point was to obsess less about making decisions, not whomp myself out so I didn't care about making them! Sheesh...so ya, today is a good day. And if not, then I'm going to make it good. You too!
@Lucky15 (33698)
@PatZAnthony (13056)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It seems some just settle in to being unhappy. There are many things that can make life enjoyable and these are what we can look forward to each day.