Why Do Vegans Eat Fake Meats

@Ladypeace (2047)
Singapore
Vegans are so hypocritical for eating vegetarian substitutes shaped in the form of real meat. They are suppressing their desires by eating mock meats. Hold it up a second. Before y'all start wavin that hand in the air and judging vegans with that pie hole yo mama gave yer, there is legit reason why mock meats exist. It's unsurprising that vegans were consumers of meat in the past. They gave up meat because of moral reasons - i.e. they refuse to participate in the unnecessary killing of animals. Having said that, it doesn't mean they don't enjoy the taste of meat. Vegans who eat mock meats are simply enjoying the familiar foods that they like, while substituting them with 100% plant-based sources. Therefore, vegans aren't hypocrites who suppress their desires by eating fake meats. In reality, they are being morally consistent and enjoying their food just like everyone else without animal products. Why do you think vegans eat fake meats? Photo: My vegetarian mock meat vermicelli (I'm not vegan but love mock meats)
I think you've explained it pretty well. Can't think of any other reason why they'd eat fake meats.
@Ladypeace (2047)
Thank you, another reason could be that eating salads alone are just too boring and mock substitutes add variety to vegan diets.
@JudyEv I am a vegetarian, and I sometimes eat fake meat not very often. I just eat it to add variety to my diet. I don't like the idea of meat at all and don't like its taste because I have seemed too many animal abuses before slaughter videos. The thought of meat gags me. But I know that the fake "meat" is just that fake and no animal al went into them.
@Marty1 I can see that it would give variety to your diet so that's all good.
I don't know, but I eat real meat because it tastes good. I do believe the animals should be treated with respect though and, as humanely as possible.
@Ladypeace (2047)
Yes, that's why it's disturbing to see news about the cruel methods used by unethical farmers and slaughter houses. I believe strongly too in humane methods of livestock slaughter.
@Ladypeace I also believe if a person has to eat meat then the animals should be treated as humanely as possible as they have feelings like humans. They may not be the same sentiments, or we don't realize they may have the exact same thoughts and feelings as us. But whatever feelings they have I am convinced they feel sad, horrified and upset about the abuse., Thank you for wanting the animals to be treated humanely. That makes me happy to know you feel that way. But ii still don't believe in their slaughter.
@fishtiger58 (30337)
• Momence, Illinois
I love meat and I'm pretty sure I don't want pretend meat lol.
@Ladypeace (2047)
Aw, pretend meats are pretty good if you could be bothered to try some.
@fishtiger58 (30337)
• Momence, Illinois
@Ladypeace Nope I'm pretty sure I won't lol.
@fishtiger58 the hot dogs don't taste bad at all. You should try them if just for the health reasons as it is better
@mammots (3273)
They're definitely not hypocrites. they are just newly converted vegetarians most probably because they have to be for health reasons.
@Ladypeace (2047)
Yes, mock meats help with transitioning into the vegan lifestyle and is also good for health - that's a good point.
@mammots not all people are vegetarians and vegans because of health. I worry less about my health than the cruelty of an animal being killed.
@mammots (3273)
@Marty1 So true! I have seen how cows and pigs are slaughtered and its not a very nice sight. This is also the reason why i dont like to eat meat.
You seemed to have explained it. I guess we all love the taste of meat and something we can sink our teeth into
@Ladypeace (2047)
Yeah, the taste and texture of meat are too satisfying to live without.
@DianneN I despise the taste of meat. But it is fine if you love the taste just wanted to let you know my best friend and I can't take the taste of meat. I ate it a week to make my mom eat after she got out of the hospital. I had to stop I couldn't take it. I am having a grilled cheese from the restaurant my sister is bringing for a late 75th birthday celebration for my mom. Eventually, I will go vean just haven't had the time to research it completely.
@Ladypeace I'm a meat and potatoes girl. Lol!
Great point. I never thought about that. I just asked my boyfriend this question and he said probably they are craving for say a hamburger or their friends are eating it too so they want to eat that type of food to but not be real meat.
@Ladypeace Yes, during social settings would be great. I think eventually some restaurants will pick up on it too. Because if you're out with friends at a home party and you'll be the only one who has to bring their own food or something, they will be left out.
I am a vegetarian and I eat fake meats. I do not want to be a party to cruel slaughter practices. Soon I will have a vegetarian corn dog which tastes great. I love the vegetarian burgers, ground crumbles and chicken patties too. No human needs to eat meat to be healthy. The only nutrient that only comes from meat is B12. Vegetarians and vegans just take a B12 supplement to fix that.
@Ladypeace (2047)
Vegetarian corn dogs and burgers are amazing. It's common for me to find vegan meals tastier than non vegan. Fully agree on no human needs to eat meat to be healthy.
@Ladypeace Actually meat is less healthy than eating a vegetarian diet. Vegetables and especially greens and fruits and vegetables are good for you. You, my friend, have a great attitude towards vegetarian foods
@Ladypeace (2047)
@Marty1 Thank you for putting a smile on my face this morning.
I don't know but some of those meals are good.
@Ladypeace (2047)
Good food is all that matters.
@Ladypeace You know I see all those meals and be wanting to try them. But,I hate to waste my money. linda is vegan and fixed me a few meals with soy stuff and tofu. and some crumbles it was just awesome. I would love to learn those meals.
Here we have some pure vegetarian restaurants and they only provide vegetarian food. Since it will be boring to offer only the vegetables. So they try to make some fake meats with the bean products and it really tastes well. The price in the vegetarian restaurants are usually very expensive but the taste is so delicious.
@Ladypeace (2047)
Yes, you are right having vegetables alone can be too plain. It's funny since people would expect mock meats to taste cheaper but they don't! They taste so lovely though ah...I enjoy the meatless meats from vegetarian restaurants too.
@Ladypeace Yes, in fact eating vegetarian food can be really expensive here
@tallawah (8728)
• Kingston, Jamaica
I am a vegetarian. I eat stuff you would call 'fake meat' which isn't. It is convenient to make this in the shape of a burger and call it a vegeburger, or that in the shape of a sausage and call it a vege sausage.
@Ladypeace (2047)
That's right, its derogatory to call them fake meats really. Better go with meat substitutes.
@tallawah (8728)
• Kingston, Jamaica
@Ladypeace it is not fake anything. It is shaped like...so it resembles...
@boiboing (12766)
• Northampton, England
If you try to eat a vegan diet you could get very bored. Meaty textures are missing from a lot of such foods and mock meat (seitan gluten based for example) is great for variety.
@Ladypeace (2047)
True, a lack of good flavor and texture does make the vegan diet boring.
@boiboing (12766)
• Northampton, England
@Ladypeace I've actually been thinking about this and there's another reason. A lot of the best mock-meats come from the Far East and are offered in vegetarian restaurants near to major Buddhist temples. I've had fabulous mock meat in China (because my colleagues knew I was struggling to find meat-free food) in small Buddhist places. Why do they offer stuff that looks and tastes like meat? Because most of the diners are ONLY vegetarian before they go to the temple and so they want to eat food that tastes like meat.
• Japan
I have looked at TVP (textured vegetable protein, fake meat made from soy) and it is cheaper and easier to store because it is dry. However, I like "real" soy products like the different varieties of tofu so much I have not yet tried it. Fried tofu and dried tofu both have a kind of meat mouth feel.
@Ladypeace (2047)
I see you haven't tried mock meat products, probably because you don't have a need to anyways. I prefer tofu in its original form as well it's one of my favorite foods.
• Japan
@Ladypeace I had TVP a couple of times but it was used by my friend to add a crunchy topping to roastted tomatoes, not as meat per se. It was good that way.
I am not a vegetarian and I don't like the fake meats I've tried. When we want a meatless meal we go with tofu or beans or something. mmmm your meal looks yummy
@Ladypeace (2047)
Certain substitute meat products are poorly made and do not taste good. But some are delicious! Tofu and beans are yummy, we drink soy milk here a lot. Thanks, I wish you could try it!
@mimiang (3777)
I love the vegemeats they use in a vegetarian stall in the mall here in our country. I know that some are made of tofu, others are not. Nonetheless, I love the taste
@Ladypeace (2047)
We have a thing in common because I love the taste very much as well.
• Eugene, Oregon
My daughter is a vegetarian and eats things like that for protein, I think, and maybe the appearance as well.
@Ladypeace (2047)
True, mock meats are a source of protein and they look good too!
@shshiju (10545)
• Cochin, India
Vegetarian or Non vegetarian is each persons choice. If we get different shapes and variety in foods that also make the food interesting. I think they have their own food reasons with in their customs.
@Ladypeace (2047)
Yes, shaping vegan food like meats does make them more interesting. It also enriches the culinary experience by giving vegans something wholesome to bite into.
@freak369 (4950)
I know some vegans who can't handle red meat (gas, bloating, diarrhea etc) but they have nothing against those who do eat meat. Several will eat chicken or fish if they can't get enough protein from beans or tofu. What kills me is the vegans who do it because it's the "cool" thing - they don't bother researching it then end up with (cough) egg on their face when someone like me calls them out as a poser. You can't eat gelatin (real gelatin) and call yourself a vegan and expect me to ever take you seriously ever again
@Ladypeace (2047)
Wow, you've made some really good points there. Those who do it for health dietary requirements are completely legit. But it's funny how some people actually pose as vegans to look cool? LOL!
@scheng1 (24755)
I do not have any liking for mock meat. If I want to eat meat, I just eat. If I go for vegetarian meal, I will choose all the vegetables. I also do not have any liking for so-called "healthy" alternative, such as low fat yoghurt or ice cream. i rather have the full version, and I just have to moderate my intake.
@Ladypeace (2047)
I think it's good that you prefer and appreciate the taste of foods in their natural form.
@skysnap (17801)
Veganism is based on phobia towarads meat. So they come up with alternatives and other reasons to hide that. accepting meat eating is for all the people in world is good thing. but vegans are violent at protecting their ideology.
@Ladypeace (2047)
Probably there are vegans like that but not all of them. More are vegan because they don't wish to be part of animal killings.
• Calgary, Alberta
I am not a vegan but I actually like the taste of mock meats. One time I decided to buy some mock meat and mixed it with real meat. I called this invented recipe of mine the "Hypocrite stew" I tried veganism for 3 years and I eat lots of vegetables as in pounds of them on a single meal and I end up in a hospital due to malnutrition. I ate those vegetables known to be reach in protein and their protein is still not good enough to nourish me, Oh I also have to take a lot of supplements too.
@Ladypeace (2047)
Oh wow, I've never thought of mixing mock and real meats together in my cooking, that hypocrite stew of yours sounds interesting and tasty. You have quite an experience going vegan. Unfortunately it didn't work out well for you. I have tried being a vegan for a year and yes I ended up eating a huge amount of fruits and mushrooms because I was way too hungry. On the positive side, my poop was really regular and smelled better.
@Ladypeace (2047)
@CaptAlbertWhisker Wow you went hard into it didn't you. Did you mean in the second half of the message that the potential dangers of a vegan lifestyle are quite hidden from the public?