The Box Buddy

Our pup Molly did just fine hopping into my sedan for car rides. However, when my husband traded my four-door sedan for an SUV, Molly's short little legs could not manage to hop in the SUV due to the increased distance from the ground to backseat. I did order a ramp for dogs to facilitate easy entry into the back of the SUV, but Molly would have nothing to do with that dog ramp. The ramp was not that stable and getting the ramp in and out of the car was a cumbersome task. My husband used the drawer from one of those plastic dressers that many of us use for to store out-of-season clothing or as added drawer space where needed. He then took a rubber-backed runner we had in the basement, cut it up, and covered the box with the rug. The rubber backing of the rug is on the bottom of the plastic drawer to prevent slippage. On the top of the plastic dresser drawer, my husband placed the top of the rug for traction purposes. We put what we now call the "Box Buddy" in my husband's office area where Molly spends a lot of her time. Molly walked past the "Box Buddy" for a week and came to the conclusion that the "Box Buddy" was not going to do her harm. For week number two, I placed doggy treats on the "Box Buddy" so that Molly got the idea that the "Box Buddy" was one nice piece of equipment. When we placed the "Box Buddy" under the open door to the backseat, Molly hopped right into the SUV with no problem at all. The "Box Buddy" is lightweight which makes for easy removal and replacement. The "Box Buddy" is not that attractive due to the pink duct tape, but it does get the job done. I will donate the dog ramp to our local shelter and hopefully a dog that is braver than Molly can make good use of it.
@LoriAMoore (4788)
You should go on "Shark Tank" and patent your "box buddy" - it's a great invention
Sure would be a cheap product to make. I suppose we would have to create small, medium and large "Box Buddies."
@boiboing (12517)
• Northampton, England
Bless her little short legs.
Yes, Molly tells us she is petite and that she wears a size 4 petite.
@boiboing (12517)
• Northampton, England
@Corbin5 Have you seen the little foldable foot stool/steps you can get? That would be much less bulky to keep in the car
Login to your account / Create an account Freephone us today on0800 1337 494 Enter keyword(s) Rollover image to enlarge Item Code: 020503 £15.84 price includes VAT Select quantity Add to Basket Plastic folding step stool with anti-slip grips on the top. Fo
@gudheart (12752)
Yep bless her little cute legs! She is brave in her own way :D
@simone10 (21657)
• Louisville, Kentucky
What a great idea! Our dogs are so low to the ground (dachshunds) that we have to pick them up to put them in the car. We would have to have several box buddies for their little short legs...lol.
If we lived near by, we could whip up some "box buddies" for your dachshunds. Molly is 45 pounds and I am not that strong, so I wobble a bit when I pick her up to put her in the car and that scares her, so we had to invent the "Box Buddy."
@boiboing (12517)
• Northampton, England
@simone10 I have a friend with dachshunds. He likes them because they don't (for don't read can't) jump on the furniture.
@simone10 (21657)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@boiboing Bella is the oldest at 8 years old and she can jump but prefers not to. Daisy is only 8 months old and loves to jump, especially on the couch and I am always having to scold her but she is just so stubborn.
@AnneEJ (5013)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
I am glad you came up with such a great solution for your dog.
The ramp just scared her too much @AnneEJ . She has fears and we do not know why. We raised her from a puppy, but she is a jumpy little thing. Maybe it is a genetic thing. We will just continue to help her get over her fears.
@AnneEJ (5013)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
@Corbin5 I don't have a pet, but am sure you really enjoyyours
Great idea.
Well, had to create the "Box Buddy" since no way can I leave her behind.
@Corbin5 I never left my dogs behind. The one thing they liked more than anything was a car ride.
I bought a light weight pair of stairs. for our dogs to get up on our be, they really help.
If the "Box Buddy" did not work, I was going t try those stairs. I think the stairs would work for a car too.
@Corbin5 Our peekapoo is 14 and now he is using them to get on our couch!!
@pgntwo (21652)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Our aged mutt is now a bit stiff of leg at 13years, so cannot get into the car on his own. He also will not use the ramp... Old dog, new tricks, perhaps. However, with the pup, now almost 6months, we're making sure he gets used to the ramp early - and he has no problem using it, thankfully. Long may it last.
I wish we had done the ramp early with Molly but the ramp freaked her out. For our old dog Bo, my husband would lift up his back end to help him into the car and Bo was one big dog.
@pgntwo (21652)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@Corbin5 Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it? At 30kg, ours is no light-weight either. Getting him to the vet last week for a checkup was at best a challenge.
@scheng1 (24800)
I think they could have designed something like a tent for a dog. That will allow some flexibility, and you can fold it and keep it when not in use.
I think you have a good idea @scheng1. Something that folds and unfolds would be much easier to handle.
This is a great box and I am glad that Molly appreciates it to jump into the SUV.
I would lift Molly into the SUV, but she is a 45-pounder and I am not strong enough to lift her safely.
• Estado De Mexico, Mexico
I love dogs..I got one here in mexico and she is pretty cute. Dogs are one of the most loyal friends you could ever get and they take no time to calm you down with their love and care if you are tense and worried about something. Take care and god bless
You are so right @rajendraingale! Our dogs are a blessing to us!
• Estado De Mexico, Mexico
@Corbin5 They are indeed a blessing . In India , At some places they are treated as God too. I wish I could send you a pic of my dog which i have here. Ohh she is adorable. every time I come home, she comes running in my room and jumps on the bed and sleeps on her back and asks me to give him a belly rub and If i don´t , she grabs my hand gently in her mouth and pulls it on her body till I don´t scratch her..LOL ..She takes all my stress away from the whole day work .
@rajendraingale I would love to see a photo of your dog!
I am glad you found a solution for Molly to get into the SUV.
It really works. We made one for a friend of ours who has a Labrador Retriever who had surgery to repair torn tendons on both legs. It works for the Lab too.
@Corbin5 Deborah, that is so cool. I love lab-retrievers.
Good wait to train him! My mom's cat hops on her walker seat and goes for a ride whenever she gets up from her chair! No training needed. She surprised us all!
@Jeanniemaries Wow! I would love to see your mom and kitty on the walker seat. Smart kitty!!
@Corbin5 I need to get a picture or even a video of that. It makes me laugh when I see it. The best part is she was against using the walker when we gave it to her and once the cat hopped on it for rides, she loves to use it.
we have a stairs for the bed the dogs used for awhile, but the one that needed it, didn't like it. I got the wrong size for a dog of her size, it was just too small, I either gave it away or it's in the spare room. if I find it, I will deff donate it!
@Jessicalynnt I spent a small fortune on a cooling bed for Molly since she gets so hot with that double coat. You fill the vinyl bed with cold water and the bed stays cool as can be. However, the bed wobbled when Molly got on it and that was the end of the cooling bed. Luckily, a friend's dog benefited from the bed.
@Corbin5 there are some foams that work like that, and dont wobble! lol
@KristenH (24085)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
That's interesting Deborah. My cats love to hop in boxes, plastic bags, laundry carts, etc. Looks like fun for any cat to play with like Molly. Hope it finds a new home.
I do think a cat would love using the "Box Buddy" as a plaything.
@KristenH (24085)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@Corbin5 I agree. I've seen them go inside a cardboard box and fit inside it from time to time, even if they were overweight. Now since they've lost some weight, I'm sure they'll have fun with it even more.
Poor Molly. I've seen various sorts of steps and ramps available for dogs. When my pet sheep, Herc, gets a bit older he will need one for getting in and out of the trailer. At the moment he just jumps in for me. We take him in the trailer once a year to get shorn.
I hope Herc can jump right into that trailer for a very long time! Wish I could just run over to your place and give you our ramp!
@Corbin5 Thank you! When we had four sheep we had a little ramp affair but one day Herc just jumped in himself so we haven't bothered with the ramp since.
@Morleyhunt (19750)
We generally lift our dog into the van.
I used to be able to lift her 45 pound body, but now my arms are not strong enough to lift her into the car safely. I wobble when I lift her and she freaks out.
@Morleyhunt (19750)
@Corbin5 ours weighs in at a mere 14bs.
@Marcyaz (35670)
I had a dog who could not jump into our SUV either so we did just about the same thing as you did and then he was able to go into the SUV.
So glad you did about the same as we did. Our motto, "Never leave a dog behind."
@Marcyaz (35670)
@Corbin5 It would be cruel to leave a dog behind when you know how much they love to go for a ride.
@cindiowens (3841)
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
What a great idea!
@cindiowens Glad we thought of it or Molly would have never made it into my car and I sure do love to take her with me whenever I can.
@1hopefulman (28482)
As they say, necessity is the mother of invention and glad you solved the problem and now Molly is enjoying her car rides again.
@1hopefulman I sure did not want to leave Molly behind. She loves riding in the car.
That was really nice of your husband to fix the dog a step to get into the car.
@jstory07 Molly can now go with her dog mom all the time.