The Invisible Man

@marky7 (551)
Independence, Louisiana
I think I am going to read more books in this genre. After a I find Dracula I think I am going to look for "the Invisible Man". I do not think this is thriller like the other two and I read it a long time ago but I think it is time for a reread. Who else remembers reading 'The Invisible Man'.
I have seen the movie of course. Never read the book. When I was a kid, I checked out the Invisible Man from the library and was perplexed over what I was reading. It was the book by Ralph Ellison which is something completely different. DW Davis will know what I mean.
@DWDavis (10771)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Yes, the Ralph Ellison book is not exactly a science fiction/horror story, though from what I know of it, the main character's "invisibility" finally drives him into a sort of craziness, too.
@DWDavis You know Ralph Ellison was African American and the "Invisible Man" is a commentary on the plight of African American men back whenever Ellison wrote it.
@DWDavis (10771)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@JohnRoberts Yes. The narrator's invisibility was a euphemism for how his true self was submerged beneath all the personalities he adopted to adapt to the situations he found himself in.
@DWDavis (10771)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I never read The Invisible Man but I have seen a couple movie versions. Have you read the original Frankenstein by Mary Shelley? My son just read it for a college class and he thought it was a great book.
@marky7 (551)
• Independence, Louisiana
I just finished it a few days ago and I loved it. To me it really was not a horror story. It was a family story and one member looking to belong somewhere even though he was misunderstood. I plan on reading Bram Stoker's Dracula as well as The Invisible Man and I have seen a few movies dealing with Invisible Man. I was younger but they were freaky.
@DWDavis (10771)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@marky7 I've not read the book myself, but saw a made for TV miniseries that purported to follow the book closely. I got the same impression from that movie version, that is was less a horror story than a story of misunderstanding and intolerance.
@marky7 (551)
• Independence, Louisiana
@DWDavis I read a version of 'The Invisible Man when I was younger and now that I know a few more facts behind the book I am looking forward to reading it again.
I haven't tried to read it. Thank you for mentioning it. I will try to find a hard copy of it.
@FourWalls (13751)
You'll never find it! The book's invisible!! I've never read the book, but I love the movie. Very good special effects for the early 1930s!
@silvermist (20100)
@marky7 Whenever I hear of books like these,I want to re-read them..I may start re-reading The Invisible Man '' again.