Hope for My Nails?

@Raelove (16820)
Saco, Maine
Not that long ago, I had long lovely fingernails that people used to admire. I kept them trimmed and polished, and never had any problems with them. Not anymore. For the last year or so, my nails have become more and more brittle over time, to the point where they were splitting and catching in fabrics and scratching my skin. I take a calcium supplement for my bones, as well as vitamin D. So I am not sure if it's due to a deficiency of some sort. They were so bad that I had to file them every day to keep them from feeling too sharp. I'm going to the doctor this week for a routine visit, and I'm going to mention it. But meanwhile, I may have found a solution. I rarely shop at Target. But while waiting to meet a friend for lunch the other day, I stopped in there to kill time and came upon the nail polish display. While gazing longingly at the lovely colors that are out now, I noticed several clear types designed to correct brittle splitting nails. I bought a bottle and have been applying 2-3 coats every day, and it seems to be helping. Not only do I apply the hardener to the nails themselves, but I also fill in the gaps between the nails and skin all the way around, as that's where they were splitting. I've noticed a big improvement, and I hope I can at least stop filing them so that they start growing again. My hope is that someday, I'll have nice long strong nails again that I will be proud to put polish on. (Public Domain Image)
@mysdianait (64064)
I can imagine how disappointed you are if you were used to having strong nails. My nails are the only thing that I have taken care of my whole life since my teens. I don't keep them very long but I always wear nail varnish. All my life I have used a base coat which is a strengthener by L'Oreal and they have never let me down. Hopefully yours will soon be strong again and back to how you like to have them.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
I spent a small fortune on nail polish back then, and they were beautiful. I did let them grow long a few times, but I couldn't type like that, so I trimmed them shorter. Now, they're not even to the ends of my fingers! So I hope this works. I'll look into that strenthener by L'Oreal. Thanks!
@mysdianait (64064)
@Raelove Keep us updated and I hope really soon they will be back to how you had them before!
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@mysdianait So do I, or at least at a proper length! Thanks!
this is for ladies only?see ya
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
Apparently not, Alfredo. It appears that Anna's ( @LadyDuck) husband had the same thing.
@Raelove It was so bad for my husband that I also had to buy a nail hardener and to apply to his nails. It was hard to find one not shiny.
No Alfredo, it's not a lady thing, my husband has this problem, lack of iron in the blood.
Hope that it works good for you. I keep my nails very short, I can't' stand typing and playing piano with long nails.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
I do, too, Marlina. But now, they're well below the ends of my fingers and aren't growing at all. I hope this works. Thanks.
That's why I keep mine short too.
Also any kind of cream with keratin in it Rachel will help. Thats what nails are made up of. It is definitely a deficiency of some sort. I studied nails in beauty school. My Mothers nails are still hard and better than mine at 87. Those hardeners do help though the ones you got.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
So far so good. I'll keep the keratin in mind. Thanks so much!
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
Good luck! I don't have a problem with my nails but I don't paint them,
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
I did for years. That might be one of the reasons they're so brittle now. I don't know...
@Raelove Can't you ask one of the ladies in a nail parlour?
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@MALUSE If I were a regular nail parlour customer, I might. But I've never been to one and have no plans to. I will mention it to my doctor on Thursday. Till then, I've already learned a lot online about what causes this and what might be done about it. Thanks!
@RaineyR (215)
My nails are so brittle and hard to grow! I did find a really good clear lacquer for them not so long ago! It was a Marks and Spencer brand so I doubt it would be available in the US but it did have Argon oil in it and I found it worked really well! Maybe you could find something similar on sale where you live? Good luck!
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
I'm going to research that, thanks. I would love for the nails to start growing again, as I also have a hard time picking things up. I don't know HOW people who bite their nails manage. I'm clumsy without them.
@Marcyaz (35765)
I used to have beautiful nails also but now I am having the same problem as you with the brittle splitting nails. I will have to check at the store and see if I can find something like that for my nails but not at a target store, we have none and anyway I don't shop there.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
There were several types under the brand name Sally Hansen. This one was $3.98, but it seems to be work, so it was worth the price. Good luck. Let me know how you make out!
@Marcyaz (35765)
@Raelove I have seen Sally Hansen nail products but never bought them as they were so inexpensive compared to other brands that I figured they could not be very good but I will look for this the next time I am at a store that has this product.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@Marcyaz It isn't nail polish per se but a hardener. I think I paid $2.98 for the bottle, and there were a couple of other more expensive options. This seems to be helping so far, so we'll see...
Sally Hansen brand has a product that is oil for your nails. I use it and it keeps it strong. Sounds like you have made some change to your diet. My grandmother had me use clear gelatin. If you take up eating jello it could help your nails. If they are stronger they won't be so apt to snap on things too.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
OMG. I caught one nail in one fiber of my sofa cushion the other day, and it brought tears to my eyes. Sally Hansen is the brand name I bought. I may try some Jello, too. Thanks!
Working with horses, teaching piano and typing I always kept my nails short but now I am having the same problem. It's good to get advice from the comments and from your experience too. I don't usually bother with nail polish but now that I'm a 'lady of leisure' I thought I might start.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
I just researched it, and found many reasons that causes it. One is not moisturizing our hands often enough, which should be every time we've wet and dried our hands, as water, dish soap, etc., dries our fingernails out. Makes sense. There are also special creams especially for dry cuticles that prevents hangnails, which I often have because I pick at them so much. I've stopped doing that now, though, so now I have to try to get the brittle nail problem solved once and for all. I want to wear polish again, but now they're way too short!
@Raelove That's all good to know. I try to remember to use hand cream daily but I'm always forgetting.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@JudyEv So do I, so I must keep a bottle of it nearby. I notice the nails are worse after I'd done the dishes. Another thing that dries the nails is waterless hand cleaner. It's loaded with astringents that also don't help, so I am going to cut back on that and go back to using good old bar soap.
@simone10 (21675)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I also used to have long pretty nails but now that I am older, like you they seem to split and break all the time. I now keep them trimmed pretty close.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
I read somewhere that nail growth slows down a lot as we age, and that they dry a lot, which accounts for the splitting and breaking.
@simone10 (21675)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@Raelove I figured it had a lot to do with aging. My grandmother was a beautician (that's what they were called back then) and not only did she do hair but she also did nails. She could look at someones nails and let them know if they were lacking in any nutrients which I always thought was amazing.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@simone10 It was.
Check on Biotin (vitamin B17). It could help.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
Yes, someone else mentioned that. Thanks.
This is an iron deficency, talk to your doctor about this. my husband had the same problem.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
I fully plan to. Thanks.