Not a Five-Minute Job

Bunbury, Australia
We are replacing some of our guttering as we are having the woodwork and gutters painted soon. There are a couple of leaks in the guttering so it seemed a good time to replace the dodgy bits. As always, what I thought would be an easy task is not so at all. Firstly there are several manufacturers of guttering and even more styles. Because we were only replacing sections the profile needed to be exact. Then we had to get the old guttering down which caused a few headaches and cut fingers. Angles had to be cut so that the pieces fit as neatly as possible. Little tabs had to be left so each section could be pop riveted to the next. Then we had cut a hole in the guttering where the downpipe goes. That's where we lost our Stanley trimmer that I've already told you about. We have completed two sections and have three more to go. By the time we did the second section, the iron was becoming too hot to touch. It is cool today but Vince has a check-up to go to so the rest may have to wait until tomorrow. Are you surprised sometimes by how complex a task is? In the photo the galvanised guttering is new.
@GreatMartin (4328)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I am so glad I rent!!! :O)
I'm still glad we don't!
@amnabas (9988)
• Karachi, Pakistan
It's looking awesome it's appears to be a system day but I am sure it's worth it.
We need to get it done before the painter arrives to paint the whole thing.
@PainsOnSlate (19620)
I married the best fixer upper ever. He fixes everything with just one tool......the telephone. We had our gutters changed last fall, they arrived in the morning and the gutters, the guards to keep the leaves out and down spouts were done by noon.
Do you still have their number?
@JudyEv yes I do but I think you are a few miles from Ontario and their trucks with their machines that build the gutters on site are heavy and it might cost you a big bag of money to get them to your house.
@PainsOnSlate Oh well, back to the drawing board. :)
I am not good at calculations for exact measurements but the job does sound like an all day thing!
Cutting the angles has been a bit tricky.
@JudyEv I bet! But after you're finished - you'll be thankful especially during the rainy season.
@infatuatedbby Yes, we rely on the water we catch off the roof for water for the house.
@Lucky15 (33670)
as much as i wanted to do some tasks here, i am afraid. like cutting the branch of the tree that keeps on hitting the roof,. simple yet..nah. i might fall down, i just have to wait for my brother
So it's okay if he falls down?
Sounds like a hard days work for sure don't envy you, but it will be worth it when you're done.
It saves us a lot of money if we do it ourselves. Labour for anything like this is very expensive.
Sounds like a lot of work. Luckily we have maintenance guys.
Sometimes renting seems like a good idea but then there are plenty of horror stories about renting too.
We need new gutters here. They haven't been cleaned in many years and leaves fall on them each season. Not to mention rain and snow muck that causes it to sag further. Of course it's not my house, I just live in it. There are other complications that have made it difficult to get the task done.
We clean out the gutters several times a year so it's not usually too bad a job.
@Asylum (48100)
• Manchester, England
If you are attempting something for the first time then you can almost guarantee that unexpected problems will arise. Replacing sections of the guttering is one job that I would not even consider attempting.
I agree about unexpected problems popping up. But the guttering is done now and looks good - and we have another skill to add to our CV. :)
@Asylum (48100)
• Manchester, England
@JudyEv Now all that you need is rain to test it with.
@Asylum We've had some light rain and it all seems good at the moment.
My mother used to always say that she got the jitters setting on to repair something not knowing what was in store
We have taken things down before and found that whatever we removed was hiding more problems.
@JudyEv So true. We just replaced our pump. It had stopped working and the plumber said that there would be some rewinding to be done but on further examination he told us that it had totally conked out.
@allknowing We have had some work done on our pumps too. That is something we can't do for ourselves.
@dianadee (1746)
• South Africa
Good to get these things done before they get worse. My husband is also the best fixer upper too!
The gutters are finished now so that's something else I can tick off the list!
@dianadee (1746)
• South Africa
@JudyEv loooove tiƧking completed tasks off my list..really a list person too!
@Daljinder (19944)
Oh that answer better be answered by my Dad or my brother... lol Since they are the ones who fix everything related to machines and such. AND they make so much mess during the whole task that they interrupt us in our works.... Its an iffy day when it is like that...
Well, I am always the 'assistant' and the first thing I get is something that we can use for the rubbish. I like to keep the area tidy and it is much safer that way.
@Daljinder (19944)
@JudyEv They make mess faster than we tidy it up... It's like trailing after them with a dusting cloth or picking up constantly...
I'm always surprised when an easy project turns out to be just the opposite. I hope you can get it finished tomorrow.
I think the worst bit is over. We have a better idea now of how to go about it.
@JudyEv That's good.
It would indeed be so inconvenient to be doing the guttering works if the sun is already up and hotly shining . Better be at it when it's not hot anymore .
We started straight after breakfast and had to stop around 11am. The next few days shouldn't be quite so hot.
@JudyEv So, is it not finished yet up to now ?
@RaineyR (217)
We are having new floors and doors fitted this week! I'm finding the whole 'home improvement' process quite stressful, however I am sure you'll agree, the results will be worth the hard work! Good luck with your home repairs!
I think it might be a bit disruptive when the painter moves in as our kitchen/lounge/dining is all one big room. The guy works on his own and only has 2 or 3 days each week to work on our place so it could be a drawn-out affair. But it's all good!
That's turned out to be quite a job, hasn't it? I hope you get it finished without any hiccups.
We're on to the second section but it's drizzling now.
Yes, and then it seems like many of these DIY tasks take a few trips to town! Right now I am 6 months into painting a spare bedroom. Well, I knew all the steps involved before I started. I painted the ceiling and abandoned the whole project last summer. I took the paint to the shop yesterday and got them to shake it up for me since it sat all this time. Okay, off I go to do some sanding and patching and taping!
That's very true - lots of trips to town. We had to go for a new trimmer for starters! Haha.
@Dena91 (3786)
Oh yes, we always think this job shouldn't take too long or be over complicated...then we begin the task and reality hits us. Hope you and your husband get it finished without too much trouble. Your doing a great job. Have a blessed day
We should be used to it by now but every time we start something we're surprised by the complications that arise.
@sueznewz2 (9719)
• Alicante, Spain
yes.... I've had several jobs like that... you think oohhh that wont be so hard... trouble is we cant just do a job... there is the preparation... unseen knock on effects and then clearing up afterwards.... so the I'll just quickly do this job... very rarely works out that way... on those days I'd like a magic wand or as @paintsonslate says... a phone .... lol's
I think in particular it is the knock on effects that can make a huge difference.
I can imagine how hot the metal becomes under your summer sun. Some works take longer than we expect.
Yes, we need to start early in the morning so we can stop once it gets hot.