Which option would you choose?

Winter in Fort Lauderdale
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
In September I learned that my carotid artery is blocked--that artery is in the neck and allows passage of blood to the brain--I had 3 choices: 1) Carotid endarterectomy which is an operation to peel away the plaque with a scalpel--surgical dangers are stroke, bleeding, infection and a slight possibility of death. 2) Angioplasty where a soft narrow tube is inserted into the groin and removes the plaque through the tube and a stent is inserted--the dangers are the same as above but recovery is faster 3) Do nothing and have a high risk of a stroke. And what option would YOU choose????
A while back I had a valve that only functioned at 25%. The cardiologist tried to do a Angioplasty. Unfortunately, it wasn't successful. I ended up with having an Open Heart Surgery. It was that or be gone in less than 2 years. I am still here! Good luck making your decision.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I had an aorta valve replaced 8 years ago and all is fine. See my comment to @judyev
Angioplasty, I think it is the easiest and it certainly is done often enough to lower the risk somewhat.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I took the second and had it done in October--except for a ugly scar--which is mostly healed now--everything went and is smoothly!
@GreatMartin Good to know and glad all went well.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
@BelleStarr Wouldn't dare go otherwise!!
I would choose to have one of those procedures because the fear of an impending stroke would be a constant. I would not want to live with fear on a daily basis.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
No matter what I decided I wouldn't live with fear--not my style. I did pick #2 in October and all is well today!
I would go for option 2. Hope it goes well for you.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I did and it did!!
@GreatMartin ...Good and good.
What a tough decision. I don't envy you. I would go for 2 if it were me.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I choose one---had an ugly scar--was going to show a photo of it but changed my mind. Had the operation in October and all is fine.
@GreatMartin I didn't realise it was in the past. I'm glad it all turned all right.
@nanette64 (17610)
• Fairfield, Texas
Isn't there a med you can take that will break up the plaque @GreatMartin ? There has got to be a simpler solution.
@nanette64 (17610)
• Fairfield, Texas
@GreatMartin Well damn! I hate getting older and falling apart.
@silvermist (20100)
@GreatMartin There are some situations where the decision has to be made by the patient himself.So I think you will have to decide what is to be done.I do hope,you will be okay.By the way the photo is beautiful.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I made the decision in October--had #2 surgery done and all is well! The flower is a hibiscus and we have many difefernt bushes of all colors that bloom all year round!
@silvermist (20100)
@GreatMartin Good to see that the surgery went well.I like Hibiscus flowers.When I was a kid we had many hibiscus bushes in our court yard.
@Fleura (7191)
I would go for option 2. Which did you choose?
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I thought it was #2 but turned out to be #1!!
@mammots (3279)
An angioplasty i think is a better choice.The patient would feel instant relief after the procedure. I have researched how the procedure is done when a friend was considering having an angioplasty. It would cost about a million pesos to have the procedure done here in my country. Its way beyond her budget so she declined to have it.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
My operation was covered by my insurance so that wasn't a problem--and as it turned out neither was the operation!
@GreatMartin you are talking to a panic attack survivor who wound up with the attacks when faced with stress and then the simplest of operations. Well prayer comes first. Then looking deep withing yourself. I don't think doing nothing is an option. Like walking around like a time bomb. I would suggest getting all the information you can on Angioplasty. Start here Finally look deep within yourself. I will put in my prayers and best wishes.
www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/treatment-angioplasty-stents
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I made my decision and I was very pleased with it. I always look at everything from every angle before I decide what to do.
@UncleJoe (9923)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I have always loved balloons.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Nothing wrong with them !
The best choice is to ask the attending physician about it. Both options are really risky. It is considered a walking time bomb situation. Once the thrombi dislodged from the arteries, it is not 100% guaranteed that there will be no secondary complications.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Any operation is risky!! I have gone through congestive heart failure, a aorta valve replacement, cataract surgery, stents put in my legs, etc. No problems with any of them--did #2 in October and here I am 4 months later and all is well.
well I am not sure about this.But I will pick number one.Yes,they all have some side effect there. Or #2 maybe.But do what the man says.Good luck my man.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Did #2 in October and everything is fine now!
I remember you showing a photo of your bandaged neck. I would choose number 2, and I see from the comments that that's the one you went for. Obviously it worked well
@Blondie2222 (21747)
I would choose option 2 but either way i hope all goes well.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I did and it did!!
scary options. i'd probably go through the angioplasty? i don't know. hope you are well