Win One, Lose One

Green Bay, Wisconsin
They say all you need to do is ask and they will work with you. I heard it on the radio just yesterday when the radio personality told how she was able to save on her bill. All she did was call and ask. I guess the Cable company which controls my Internet is confident enough that I won't find a cheaper rate they refused to deal. My bill is soaring through the roof and no, I can't find a lower rate. I checked. Not even AT&T which shows a starting rate of $15 isn't all that good when I need to add phone to it, and in order to get unlimited, which I have now, the rate is the same as I'm paying with Time Warner. Their idea of saving me money on my bill is for me to turn in my modem and buy one along with a splitter. I can easily see the bucks flying out of my hands on that suggestion. True, it would be a one time fee, but not when I'm trying to save all I can for my new computer tower. It would also only lower my bill by $10. To me that is not a savings. So that was a no go. I also needed to pay my utility bill this morning. I got that bill in my inbox a couple days ago and looking at it, I was a bit confused, especially as I just put myself on the budget and expected to pay that today. So I went to the bank, took the money out for the bill - no I wasn't paying online - they have an additional fee for paying with a debit or credit card. I'm not made of money. So I got the necessary funds and headed to the office to pay it. I got to the window and gave my information and the lady says I have a credit and don't owe anything. Now you know me - I argued with her. I told her the bill showed the budget amount. She went to the bill, looked it over, explained I have a credit, what I would owe next month at this time, and the following month the budget would kick in. I DON'T OWE ANYTHING. I won one and lost one, and I feel good about the savings I made today with the utility bill as my budget is $200 a month for this drafty rundown home I'm trying to save. So I'm in a good mood right now. Add to that I decided to check on what time my son needed to be to work at 2:45 and he didn't know. He needed to be there at 3. We were booking it out the door and with students littering the road - school was also out - two of them - the middle and senior high on the same street - I still managed to get him to work with two minutes to spare. It's a good thing we live close to his work. It only takes five minutes to get there, when school isn't getting out. So things are looking up for a change. Now all I need is the letter/packet from the bank letting me know I can stay here or I will need to move due to the foreclosure. How is your day going? Thanks for reading.
Glad that you have some good news today.
So am I. I'll take this kind of news any time.
Thanks for sharing your good news with us. Lifts my spirits just to hear your good news today!
My pleasure. I was so not in a good mood after talking to the cable people, but all that changed within half an hour. I put the money back in the bank and came home.
Sometimes , we should have our strategies to be able to save . Evaluation of the services and its cost can really help us decide which can best save us .
In my case there aren't other options.
@just4him It's frustrating when you have no other options .
@SIMPLYD Yes it is.
@Gillygirl (17277)
• Sutton, England
I pray you don't have to move and that you had some good news today.
Nothing in the mail today, hopefully this week.
@sugartoes (39235)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@Gillygirl I think it would be in her BEST interest to move where she COULD save more money from what's she's paying on her power bill & out of the place she's in that's like she said drafty & old & I think she's be a lot happier too.
@sugartoes I'll accept whatever comes my way. God knows best.
I think to get a better deal you have to say your canceling. But if they know you have no options then not much use I guess.
Of course I didn't think about that.
@just4him I have been thinking of making these type of calls. I have in the past and got a very small reduction
@paigea I tried again this morning and got nowhere with it.
@AnneEJ (5025)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
I'm glad you had some good things happen today, and I hope you are able to stay in your home
I hope so too, but whatever God decides is fine with me. I won't mourn the loss of the home if I'm forced to move.
That is great that you had a credit.
It was certainly unexpected. The guy at the next window told me I was in dreamland if I didn't think I owed anything. I'm in dreamland I'll take this kind of reality any time.
@Platespinner (16533)
Our internet bill is ridiculous (at least I think so) but $59.99 seems to be our best option out here.
Mine is over $70, and yes, ridiculous!
Always nice to have a credit on a bill . Every year I call and get a discount on the landline phone and internet bill.
My call got me nowhere. I need to do something. I just can't afford this bill. I'm paying close to $80 for only Internet and phone. I could see that if I threw in cable too, but such is not the case.
@KristenH (23301)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Sounds like things are going well your way. I might consider dropping my landline and use my cell to save money on my utility bill from Time Warner Cable. It costs $173.83 a month with the package of cable/Internet/phone.
Okay, I'm not going to complain when yours is that high, but then I don't have TV on mine. I really can't drop the landline as my cellphone only has so many minutes a month - it's a government free phone. Though I don't use the phone that much, it doesn't take much to go over the allotted minutes if something were to happen.
@KristenH (23301)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@just4him My Safelink cell is the same way. That's true. I'll keep you posted on my cell debate.
@KristenH (23301)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Valerie, my brother suggested we can switch to AT&T U-verse or ask TWC to lower my cable bill if they can. Something to consider in March.
@Lucky15 (33429)
Morning has just started. You handled a lot ma'am
It's Monday, and a lot needed to be done.
@Lucky15 (33429)
@just4him true .monday is the busiest day
@garymarsh6 (13203)
That was a nice surprise for you! Lets hope you can still find a bargain!
I tried again today, and they aren't bargaining.
I also have time warner and I pay $67 for internet. the good thing was I went on amazon and bought my modem saving me $8 a month which does add up and fast. The service is awesome or I would switch to verizon. It's a one time fee but that $10 savings will be good for you.
I'm glad you're getting good service from Time Warner. I don't feel the same about them, and wish I could change to something a lot cheaper.
• Midland, Michigan
At first I was missing what it way you lost, but it must have been the change in your bill for the internet? I checked on mine a while back and the only way we can save is to eliminate all tv charges, but then when we put it back on it would be an additional amount for that, so we're staying with what we have for now too. Since I run a business from home, getting AT and T wouldn't save me anything. We have charter. I'm staying afloat on my bills, but had to borrow from my brother and I got some funds from my mom, via my sister. Even then, I figured low it turns out and will be short for a business ins bull, but oh well. Have to pay the state for my employees part of the withholding/state taxes before the end of the month.
Yes, it's my Internet. I tried again this morning and there is nothing I can do to lower the bill other than to buy a modem and take this one back. I just might do that.
@Blondie2222 (21238)
That's great you saved money and didn't have to pay on your bill like you thought. I keep getting bills left and right this week also and have paid on most of them. I'm just waiting to get paid thursday to pay the rest, I love saving money also
Yes, it's great. I just have one more bill I need to pay, and need to remember to pay it - my car registration - so I'll be heading to DMV tomorrow.
@sugartoes (39235)
• Greencastle, Indiana
wow sounds like a win no win ordeal you won on one bill but not on the other I try to budget our bills but that's a no win ordeal all the way around as well so I hope you can work something out to save money somewhere, times are tough I know, I thought your son was gonna help you get your tower good luck.
He brought that up only once when talking about his tax refund, which we still need to do his taxes. I don't want to have false hope there. So I haven't mentioned it again.