Basil the Amazing Herb

Riga, Latvia
This is not just a simple herb with one color and one flavor or even aroma. Basil comes in green, purple, dark opal, boxwood, lemon, cinnamon, cardinal, spicy globe, Holy, Thai, Greek and Genovese. All of these also have a unique and individual appearance. You can guess the flavor of some of the basil just by their name as well as what region they come from and what kind of recipes they are used in. The only one which stands out is boxwood and this simply means the shape of the plant and cardinal is named after the flower. Basil gives great flavor to food whether it is fresh or dried and has some great health benefits as well. Basil has an amazing amount of minerals which are good for you among these are iron, manganese, calcium, phosphorus, and potassium. It also includes vitamins A to Zinc with a good dose of vitamin K which provided nutrients for bone health. Holy basil has flavonoids which are water soluble and will support your white blood cells and help you body to resist radiation induced chromosome damage. The most important thing of all is that fresh basil will help to keep you healthy. Basil has volatile or essential oils which help to increase your body’s resistance to three widespread and resistant bacteria gotten from food – Enterococcus, Staphylococcus, and Pseudomonas. So by using basil more often and including it when you make meals you will be able to protect you family and keep them healthy in a most delicious way. Basil is easy to grow and can be grown in a garden or in a pot on the window sill. Anyway you choose to grow basil it’s not difficult. If you prefer of course you can purchase fresh basil or dried basil leaves. If you choose dried basil leaves remember that this is measured by teaspoons and you can add it to soups, stews, and sauces. If you are using fresh basil then simply rinse and pat dry a handful and toss them right into what you’re cooking. If you prefer you can pluck it into bits. Basil can also be added to scrambled eggs or omelets. It goes great with tomatoes and tomato based sauces. Flavor and Health Benefits of Basil
It comes in green, purple, dark opal, boxwood, lemon, cinnamon, cardinal, spicy globe, Holy, Thai, Greek, and Genovese, but did you know that basil is more than just tasty. It also helps build your resistance to these three types of food borne bacteria
I grow Genovese, purple and lemon basil in my garden, one year I also tried to grow the very small Portuguese basil, but I was not successful, it's a shame, because it has a wonderful aroma.
My husband is the main cook and uses a lot of basil. We have it growing in the garden but I don't know what type it is. Informative post thanks.
• Riga, Latvia
@JudyEv great that you have it growing in the garden. I usually need to grow it in a flower pot and carry it out in the late spring. Somehow it doesn't do too well in the soil in our garden.
@RasmaSandra For some reason, we can't keep it growing through the winter. Everyone here has the same problem. It must get too wet or too cold ('our' cold not your cold )