Down Memory Lane

Strolling through the Orchard
@AnneEJ (5110)
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
Last fall when on a trip to New Brunswick with my sisters, we visited the old farm where we lived when we were just children. One of the best memories I have of the place is the orchard, where we spent a lot of our time. Needless to say, there have been a lot of changes over the years, a few of the old trees are still there, but they have added a lot more. It felt good to stroll through the trees, pick up an apple from the ground and drift back in memory as I sank my teeth into it. The house where we lived has been completely done over. My dad's blacksmith shop is still there, now being used as a fruit and vegetable stand. The lower fields where we had strawberries, and pasture for the cows is now mostly planted in apple trees as well. The marsh where we skated is covered with bushes. The hill where I used to ski, does not seem nearly as steep and long as it did when I was a child. Many new houses have been built where it was all open when we lived there. The distance we walked to school does not seem nearly as far as it did back then, and of course, the old school house is gone. How things change over the years, but memory lives on.
That must have been a lovely outing for you and your sisters, there's nothing like a trip down memory lane.
@AnneEJ (5110)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
We visited a lot of places we remembered from childhood that day
@MarymargII (8342)
• Toronto, Ontario
Not everyone gets the chance to go back in time and how very marvellous for you- I have had a chance to go back and drive through our old neighborhood and it makes you feel bittersweet and nostalgic----I know.
@AnneEJ (5110)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
It was so nice to spend time with my family and the trip back to the old haunts was a highlight
• Toronto, Ontario
@AnneEJ It is great to see what has happened and how many things have changed- some things feel sad to change though.
• Toronto, Ontario
@AnneEJ I hope you get the chance to go back some day. :)
When I eventually went back to the farm where I grew up, I found distances shorter too. And the fig tree I climbed that I thought was huge was quite a small thing.
@AnneEJ (5110)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
strange, isn't it?
@AnneEJ It makes me more careful about stating categorically this or that because our memory does play tricks on us at times.
@AnneEJ (5110)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
@JudyEv That is true. I see that with my children, they remember things from their childhood differently than I do. Not sure which one of us is right
@mommaj (22773)
Isn't it funny how everything seems so much larger when we are children, and as adults it's not quite as big. LOL
@AnneEJ (5110)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
Either we are getting older and wiser, or our memory blows things out of proportion
@mommaj (22773)
@AnneEJ Let's go with wiser as time goes by.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yes, the distances seem shorter. But some things look so familiar, I half expect to see me and my 12-year-old friends heading to the park with a football.
@AnneEJ (5110)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
That would be something
• Pleasant Hill, California
@AnneEJ Your photo reminded me of a place in Lewistown Montana, where my mom was from. Things change more slowly in smaller towns than in larger ones.
Are your legs a little longer now that they were back when you had to walk to school?
@AnneEJ (5110)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
That could be, but I think I could run faster then than I do now.
@AnneEJ ....Oh, same here.
It looks like a nice big orchard you're strolling thru here. When I was growing up all farms had a bit of an orchard on the home-place. There were different varieties of apples, pears, apricots and even grapes. I do not see the same today. That must have been a nice feeling to return here and spend some time, and go back in time in your mind.
@AnneEJ (5110)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
We thought we had a big orchard back then,especially in the fall when we had to pick all the apples, but it is probably more than twice as big today.
@AnneEJ I always thought that we had a big orchard too, especially in the springtime when it was full of apple blossoms.
How lovely to visit your old stomping grounds. We see things so differently as a child. Nice photo!
@AnneEJ (5110)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
Thank you, my sister took a lot of pictures that day. I was traveling with her and had left my camera in my van, so had to wait for her to send the pictures to me.
@AnneEJ Is that you in the photo???
@salonga (27965)
I enjoyed reading through your colorful memory lane. Picking fruits in an orchard has always been so interesting to me.
@AnneEJ (5110)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
I loved picking apples when we had the orchard, and of course, eating them.
@salonga (27965)
@AnneEJ Newly picked apple must be the best tasting. I never had the chance to eat one. Our apples are all imported.
I'm glad you had the opportunity to visit your old home. I like your picture. Is that one of your sisters? You're right, nothing stays the same.
@AnneEJ (5110)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
No, that is me walking through the orchard. My sister took the picture
@AnneEJ Nice.
@Fleura (6173)
I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. Sometimes it can be a nasty shock to visit old haunts and find them sadly changed!
@AnneEJ (5110)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
Yes that is true, but then our memories sometimes trick us as to what it was like.
@Lucky15 (33694)
There are childhood memories that we wanted to experience it again..but..sigh
@AnneEJ (5110)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
I cherish most of the memories of my childhood, but would not want to go back there to live
That's a beautiful photo. Revisiting old homes is a bittersweet experience.
@AnneEJ (5110)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
Yes it is, but I thoroughly enjoyed my day
@msiduri (5840)
Nice you had a chance to see the place after all this time. Hope you enjoyed your visit.
@AnneEJ (5110)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
It was a really fun day.
How wonderful you had an opportunity to visit the place you grew up. I just live 2 miles from our old family home. We sold it for Dad two years ago and I thought that they would tear the house down. The buyer did not tear it down but rehabbed the home and it looks beautiful.
@AnneEJ (5110)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
We also checked out some other places we had lived, but some had been torn down, and others done over completely
• Lakewood, Colorado
Does someone else own the farm now Anne? That is a lovely photo there and such sweet memories. You must have had a lovely childhood.
@AnneEJ (5110)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
Yes it has probably been sold several times since we lived there.
Nothing stays the same for ever.
@AnneEJ (5110)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
Isn't it strange, though, when you go back to childhood places, distances do not seem the same, and things you thought large, now seem small.