Strong Tornado Outbreak in the South Tonight

@moffittjc (45228)
Gainesville, Florida
I'm probably not going to sleep very well tonight, as we've got another cold front approaching that is bringing very severe weather with it as it makes its way across the Deep South. Already Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama have felt the wrath of the storms, as numerous tornado outbreaks have been reported. The very western edge of Florida in the panhandle, including Pensacola, are currently under tornado watches. All of that severe weather will continue to push toward the southeast, eventually making its way to where I live. I think residents of Tallahassee will really be on edge tonight, as they are next to get hit with all this severe weather. I'm hoping we can make it through the night before it hits Gainesville. Having severe weather and tornado outbreaks happen overnight when you are sleeping has got to be the worst feeling in the world! It's difficult to see anything going on in the dark skies, and if you're sleeping you probably will have very little warning of any approaching or imminent danger. For all you myLotters in the Deep South states, I hope you stay safe tonight!
@VivaLaDani13 (22032)
• Perth, Australia
I can't even imagine the stress people go through worrying about how bad a storm can get.
@moffittjc (45228)
• Gainesville, Florida
It's unusual for us to get tornados where I live, yet we've been having quite a lot of warnings over the past couple of months. Thankfully, no tornados have hit us, but just to the north and west of us has really been getting hit hard by the storms. And naturally, tornados always seem to hit at night when everyone is sleeping and un-alert. We get a lot of hurricanes here, and that can be quite stressful, but at least with a hurricane you have several days warning that it's coming. With tornados, you usually only have several minutes warning, if any at all.
@amnabas (10313)
• Karachi, Pakistan
I hope it goes off without any sort of destruction. Stay safe.
@moffittjc (45228)
• Gainesville, Florida
Well, now that it is daylight, I feel a little more at east, even though the worst hasn't come through yet. But at least I can see what is going on now!
It doesn't seem fair that severe weather happens when it is dark. When we have terrible winds, they are often overnight too.
@moffittjc (45228)
• Gainesville, Florida
Here in Florida, it also seems like hurricanes always make landfall overnight as well. I guess it's just some sick joke the Universe is playing on us, or something! Maybe it's Mother Nature's way of getting back at us for messing up her planet!
@moffittjc This may very well be true, but if it isn't, it should be.
@moffittjc (45228)
• Gainesville, Florida
@ElizabethWallace Maybe it's the justice we get from trying to control and destroy Mother Nature. In the end, she will win! lol
Its just after 9pm and its just raining, semi hard right now, we are under a watch. Stay safe yourself!
@moffittjc (45228)
• Gainesville, Florida
Glad to hear you are safe! At least you can rest assured you'll be out of danger in a short time! All that nasty weather hasn't even approached me where I live yet. I'm hoping it doesn't make it through here until the morning when I am awake and alert and can see what is going on! I heard we are also forecast to get really strong winds tomorrow as well after the front moves through, up to 45 mph. Are you going to have windy conditions tomorrow as well?
@moffittjc I spoke to soon, its thundering now :/
@moffittjc (45228)
• Gainesville, Florida
@andriaperry Do you have any tornado watches or warnings in your area right now? I saw a few minutes ago that they were issuing tornado watches for Pensacola.
@JESSY3236 (7295)
My mother was going crazy yesterday saying that there might be one going her way. She keep saying for me and Chris (He arrived last night) to go the mall, or something until it ends. But I doubt anything will happen here.
@moffittjc (45228)
• Gainesville, Florida
I once was driving home from work when we had a major tornado outbreak. I could see the tornado ahead of me ripping out trees and power lines as I drove towards it. I freaked out and stopped and ran inside a Taco Bell just as the tornado bore down on us. The employees grabbed me and shoved me behind the counter just as the tornado struck the restaurant. It sucked all the windows right out of the building and lifted the roof right off the top! It happened in a matter of about 20 seconds. Thankfully, nobody was hurt, and amazingly, although there was utter destruction everywhere outside, my truck somehow escaped the carnage and didn't even have a scratch on it!
• Eugene, Oregon
How frightening it is to live under threat like that! I only experienced tornado warnings once or twice when I lived in Texas.
@moffittjc (45228)
• Gainesville, Florida
We don't get them very often in Florida. Hardly ever. This year has been particularly bad though due to the strong El Nino. We've probably had more tornados already in the first two months of 2016 than we had in the previous 20 years combined.