Tolerance, Acceptance....?

@1wldngl (3991)
Well, I'm just going to come right out with it then. I don't believe tolerance exists. I do believe acceptance exists and I don't believe they are the same thing at all. Tolerance is preached, left and right. The very word has come to leave a bad taste in the mouth. Tolerance may cause more harm than good because it implies that one is forced to tolerate something that goes against how they believe, choose or live. Oh people say they tolerate your religion, but they continue to make jabs at it. They say they tolerate your choices, but they continue to talk behind your back. They think nothing of "tolerating" your life, and at the same time blatantly poking digs at that same life. Tolerance lacks the most important thing, respect. And if one merely tolerates and never respects than there is NO true tolerance. Dig it? Acceptance is what we should strive for and toward. I can accept your choices, your religion, your life and in accepting you I can choose to respect you as well. For example: we are friends, I am Christian and you are Pagan. I will choose, out of respect, not to make jabs at your gods. I won't post derogatory memes or snide Facebook statuses regarding pagan gods. I will choose not to be disrespectful of you, as my friend. You, out of respect, do the same. You may not agree with my believes but you choose to respect that I believe them. Acceptance is a choice, you can't force it, and breeds peace if you choose to respect the choices of others. Just my two cents. What do you think? Are you "tolerant" and betray your tolerance by the choices you make to poke fun at the beliefs and choices of your friends? Or...do you truly accept them, and respect them by honoring their choices with loving and graceful choices of your own?
I don't accept everything, I will tolerate some things, and some things I will not accept nor tolerate
@1wldngl (3991)
Here have a cookie! It's chocolate chip!
@owlwings (40032)
• Cambridge, England
@1wldngl My browser doesn't accept cookies!
@1wldngl (3991)
@owlwings Oh...picky!
• Calgary, Alberta
Acceptance is not an easy thing. You can still tolerate someone with an opposite view without the need of making jabs of that person's belief. This is why I dont read Youtube comments because it is filled by people who thinks they were never wrong and always right. There are some beliefs that will just never accept each other. I will never accept beliefs that allows adults to marry children.
@1wldngl (3991)
No it isn't. it requires effort.
@owlwings (40032)
• Cambridge, England
A very nice description of the difference between tolerance and acceptance. It is necessary, though, when using the word 'accept' to be a little more specific than when one uses the word 'tolerate'. For example, if I say "I accept your beliefs", I may be construed to be saying that I concur with them when what I really mean to say is that I accept that you believe as you do, in the same way as a blind man might say that he accepts that the sky is blue.
@1wldngl (3991)
Good and valid point, I knew where you were going with it as soon as I started to read your reply. I guess I should stress that you can accept and respect the person and not accept their beliefs or choices.
I try to tolerate and accept a lot in this life. We do live in a world of all types. I am a atheist. I firmly believe that adults need to take care of their own little corner of the world. Teach their children well and respect others. So many people today think that their way is the only way and it obviously isn't. If we are going to live in society we need to be tolerant and accepting and respectful.
@1wldngl (3991)
I think respect it lacking. Growing up we were taught to respect others until or if they showed they weren't worth respecting, and even then be the bigger person. Now, time and time again I have heard "I will respect only those who earn it first". Ok....what goes around comes around, you get what you give. I live by that, Karma...God...whatever you want to call it. You get what you give.
@1wldngl ....Worth respecting. Every human is that. Being the bigger person is very good teaching. I believe in Karma completely. If it hadn't been for this belief I think that I would be in a funny farm somewhere. I have to believe that these people get what is coming to them even if justice doesn't happen.
@1wldngl (3991)
@celticeagle Indeed!
I rather like agree to disagree respectfully. The only place where I draw the line is when a belief physically harms someone. like that it would be ok to kill or beat someone.
@1wldngl (3991)
Well I commented on this and it poofed into the nether regions. LOL
@1wldngl new site, who knows, site gremlins maybe hungry
@thesids (22351)
• Bhubaneswar, India
I accepted my ill health (and its gifts), my wife and my new born. For all others, I am tolerant upto an extent. Beyond that, I have no control.
@1wldngl (3991)
That's a good idea to take note of. We can only control ourselves.
@deafdiva (243)
Wow! You have given me something to think about! I have not really given much thought to the difference between tolerance and acceptance! As a deaf person I would hope there would be more acceptance than tolerance in the world!
@1wldngl (3991)
Owlwings made a good point about accepting people even if you don't agree with their choices, etc. Which is what I meant but I guess I wasn't quite clear on that point.
Tolerating is easy. Acceptance takes a lot of work. I think most take the easy way out.
@1wldngl (3991)
Ah, that's an excellent point. Acceptance is cultivated. Tolerance is, usually, just lip service.