When it Pays to be a Packrat!

@1wldngl (3991)
We have been dealing with practically no cell phone signal at our current house, since we moved here. We have one choice for cell service, AT&T, as no other carrier gets any kind of consistent signal in an area of about 10 miles surrounding us. Several years ago I heard that AT&T offered a device called a Microcell. Essentially a Microcell turns your home into a mini cell phone tower, the only catch is that it uses your internet to work so you have to have high speed internet. I called AT&T and of course our internet, which is also THE only provider we can get locally(little small town internet), wasn't fast enough to support the Microcell. They did offer the unit free, after mail in rebate, but it just wasn't going to work with our internet. Fast forward 2 years: Last year they came through and upgraded our DSL cables and internet service. We now have high speed internet and can run multiple devices at once, ethernet and wifi going at the same time, including my fiancee gaming online. Much nicer and less fighting over the wifi. Fast Forward one more year: A mail out reminded me about the Microcell....So....I decided to call AT&T and ask them again. Luckily I had also documented those calls of 3 years ago. I had my notes, dates, times, names of customer service reps, and quotes. The unit normally runs from $149-$199, depending on specials, etc. Currently it is on for $149, and this time they had a mail in rebate for $75. But...because I had documentation the manager knocked the price down to $75 and after rebate we will have paid $5.06 tax for the unit. I'm so glad I keep notes and pack stuff away for future reference. Now....if I could only get myself to organize the filing cabinet. Yea.......right......
very nice deal there!
@1wldngl (3991)
I hope it works. Got it in yesterday but have to have a splitter to set it up.
@1wldngl think hardware stores might have those
@1wldngl (3991)
@Jessicalynnt It's actually a ethernet hub. It hooks into the modem/router and, essentially, adds more ethernet ports. It's just the cheapest it like $40!!! So, need to wait until payday.
When I talk to a tech about my computer I keep notes. It's amazing sometimes what you can do if you show them you know and aren't totaly dumb. Obviously it's good to do it in this type of thing you talk about here. I think a lot of these items are hiked up price wise anyway. Any way to bring the price down is great.
@1wldngl (3991)
I agree. I think it helped that I had record of my complaints about having no signal too.
@1wldngl ....Yes! Keeping notes is so important.
@celticeagle .....I may keep too many. Sort of mental thing with me. LOL
@AnneEJ (5026)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
Wow! That is interesting that you remembered and were able to find the information. You saved yourself a lot of money
@1wldngl (3991)
I did. I'm quite proud and it will save us more being able to use the cell phone from home instead of having to call long distance. I sure hope it works as they say!
That was very good work on your part. I hope it all works now.
@1wldngl (3991)
Me too. It will save us in the long run as anything we dial from here is long distance. So I usually save calls for days when I run errands in town and can call from my cell phone. It's a hassle. Now I should be able to talk and text from my cell phone, at home with the new unit. I sure hope it works and if not...it was practically free.