Newly Released Book by Rod Norland guaranteed to shake some parts of the world up

@CoralLevang (30429)
I am pleased to have found out that my library had the book, "The Lovers" by Rod Norland, on the shelf this afternoon. I have checked it out and have three weeks to read it. This is a true story of how two young Afghani lovers--Zakia and Ali--defied their culture and their families, and escaped what is described as an honor killing. Not only did these two young, modern-day Romeo and Juliet risk their lives so that they could be together, the author has also put up some of his own money to try to help them flee from, what continues to be, a nightmare. Zakia's own father and brothers are out to kill her for her rebelliousness. Many other people have gone above and beyond to help this couple be free from the misogynistic practices that are still prevalent today in certain parts of the world. I look forward to starting this story.
Sounds like a nice story. A few years back I had gone over to Emmett(nearby farming community) to stay with a friend and had taken a book with me to read while she was at work. I ended up staying with her longer than I had expected. The book was better than I had thought and I wanted to read the second in the series ASAP. So I went to the little library they had there, put the book on the request list and was surprised to get a call three days later.They had sent to another library nearby that had the book I got the book and read it before I left.
@CoralLevang (30429)
May be nice in some ways, but tragic and so many others. It's still not over
@CoralLevang ....So sad. We had a guy here that was just released from a jail over there and now his wife is divorcing him. Ugh!
@CoralLevang (30429)
@celticeagle these things are so hard on us individually but also as families.
@DWDavis (11230)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
It is sad that here in the 21st Century such things as honor killings still go on, but if you look at where they are going on you can see clearly other aspects of the culture that are just as rooted in the Dark Ages.
@CoralLevang (30429)
I know. Have you read the reviews on this book yet? The remarkable story, & I don't think they're out of danger yet.
@DWDavis (11230)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@CoralLevang I haven't read the reviews yet, but I imagine the danger will always lurk for them. I've heard of situations similar to this where the families send a member wherever in the world the "condemned" try to hide to conduct the killings, even here to the US.
@CoralLevang (30429)
@DWDavis I hope this is not the case for them.
@KnehKnah (3459)
This sounds like in the movies! But, what makes this story different is, it's true? Gosh!
@CoralLevang (30429)
It really is a compelling story. I just started to read it today.
@LeaPea2417 (11886)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That sounds like a great book to read. I will be looking for it on amazon.
@CoralLevang (30429)
I'll let you know what I find out about it once I start reading it
It sounds like it will be a great book