How to Get Rid of Tea/Coffee stains?

Peter's coffee cup
@pgiblett (6595)
One of the biggest problems faced on a daily basis are the tea of coffee stains that after time appear on your, cups, mugs, or even saucers (if you choose to drink your poison that way). I remember as a child doing the washing up we would regularly find a caffeine ring around the cup, some simply would not come out. Today I have a dish washer as do many people in the western world, but still the cups come out (occasionally) with these coffee stains Do you ever get rid of those dastardly stains? Do you have a simple solution? Or do you have to reach for the CLR every once in a while?
I use baking soda, it usually solves the problem.
@pgiblett (6595)
That has been said a few times. Here in US/Canada there is a company called Arm & Hammer that has a book of 101 uses of their baking soda and that is included in it.
@pgiblett We have another brand here, it is very old and I have also a book about the 500 uses of baking soda. I use it a lot in my kitchen.
@pgiblett (6595)
@LadyDuck Who would thing it would have such wide applicability?
@whiteream (3521)
I don't have any trick to removing them. I just keep cleaning until they come off.
@pgiblett (6595)
So you haven't tried baking soda
@whiteream (3521)
@pgiblett baking soda with peroxide works.
@pgiblett (6595)
@whiteream I would think peroxide would get rid of anything.
@scheng1 (24800)
Try to use washing soda. It should work. If not immediately, then you can try to soak the cup in it overnight.
@pgiblett (6595)
Is that the same as baking soda, or is it for clothes washing?
@scheng1 (24800)
@pgiblett Washing soda is stronger than baking soda.
@pgiblett (6595)
@scheng1 OK. I have never heard of it before.
No I throw them out.If I cannot get rid of them.(kidding)I do not have any solution.Are those the blue willow plates there
@pgiblett (6595)
They are both blue willow, but the cup and saucer come from different sets, I just grabbed the saucer for the picture.
@pgiblett thanks.Do you have the collection on this?Blue Willow?
@pgiblett (6595)
@amadeo We used to have a full set, but time has taken care of that.
@gudheart (12752)
I have not really had this issue very often thankfully. I find that most washing up powders usually do the trick ;D
@pgiblett (6595)
I find they do get it off 95% of cups, bet we have one cup where the stain simply stays.
@gudheart (12752)
@pgiblett That sounds frustrating. Is it a faded stain or quite noticeable?
@pgiblett (6595)
@gudheart Most of the time it is faded and can be scrubbed out with a scouring pad, bur sometimes I guess I forget and it gets worse.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
Baking soda works for me. I just take a paper towel, put some baking soda in the cup and use the paper towel to scrub with.
@pgiblett (6595)
I think I saw that on in the book 101 uses for Arm & Hammer Baking Soda.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
@pgiblett I've known about baking soda cleaning powers for many years. I use it on my pots and pans. It's cheaper than Comet or Ajax and does just as good of job.
@pgiblett (6595)
I don't know what CLR is, but I just use washing -up liquid and scrub with steel wool. If they are really bad I use bleach, but make sure to wash them thoroughly afterwards.
@pgiblett (6595)
CLR is available in the USA and Canada to work on those hard to clean stains. I know bleach works, but nowadays bleach is slowly being replaced by a non-corrosive version which is useless to man and beast.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@pgiblett I wouldn't use anything abrasive on a Blue Willow tea cup, as that just ruins the surface, and any future stains will go deeper into the china.
@pgiblett (6595)
@Raelove That wasn't the cup with the stain, I tried to picture the stain but it didn't come out well.
Sometimes, I use an S.O.S. pad and then rewash the cup with dish liquid very well and rinse.
@pgiblett (6595)
What is an SOS pad?
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@pgiblett It's steel wool with soap in it. SOS is a brand name, but there is also Brillo and a few other names.
@pgiblett (6595)
@Raelove We have Brillo which much of the time is good enough.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I wrote about this awhile back. I do it every so often with a weak solution of chlorine bleach and hot water. It not only works like a charm, but it also disinfects the glasses and mugs. You just pour a little of the solution into the glasses/mugs, let them sit for about 10 minutes, and that's it. Just rinse the bleach solution out really well in lots of cool water, and let the glasses and mugs air-dry, and you're good. My mother handed that little trick on down to me, and I've used it ever since.
@pgiblett (6595)
I have seen that suggestion before. I started this discussion because the first cup I selected for my coffee this morning had a ring in it. I wanted to see the options available, I have one or two choice methods I use myself.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@pgiblett I haven't found anything that works as well or as fast as bleach. So many people are reluctant to use it, and I'm not sure why. But whatever works for you...
@pgiblett (6595)
@Raelove I am sure it does work, I was merely commenting of the quality of bleach these days.
I use carb soda or a bit of Ajax or other cleanser. Don't you just love having a dish-washer though? I do.
@pgiblett (6595)
I do love having a dish-washer, we have had one for more than 25 years, they have improved over time, but don't quite get the tea/coffee stains out. normally scouring pad does the job, but sometimes not.
@pgiblett I love the way glassware and cutlery comes up sparkling too.
@MGjhaud (20737)
i just use baking soda. it works.. sometimes you have to mix it with detergent or lemon.
@pgiblett (6595)
I have used freshly squeezed lemon juice on it's own sometimes.
@Lucky15 (33384)
I scrub them. Like crazy
@pgiblett (6595)
I have done that before.
Well, I am not a tea drinker but I do like coffee. I know my mother-in-law uses Bar Keeper's Friend to get rid of any kind of stain.
@pgiblett (6595)
I don't know Bar Keeper's Friend, but I can see that if it works for bar glasses it should work for tea and coffee mugs.
When I have a tea stain I usually rub some baking soda around and it removes the stain without much fuss
@pgiblett (6595)
Yes Baking soda is known to work, as we dish-wash all the time I have found a little Brillo gets rid of most.