The Adventures of Katie and Marty — Through the Portal Door

Image provided by Morley Hunt and used with her permission
Midland, Michigan
Hi, my name is Katie and you might know my mom, her name is margielynn. I know that she wrote about me awhile back. She saw that I figured out a way to dig out of the fenced in back yard where I've been happy ever since they brought me home from the shelter. I know that mom thinks I've been away visiting all the dogs in the neighborhood, but little does she know that I've been visiting dogs in the world. Come with me and I'll tell you my story. The day that I made it underneath the fence for the first time I did hear some dogs barking and proceeded to go check them out. I found that the reason they were barking was that they found this really old door that was open. One of the dogs, Marty, wanted to go through that door, but the other dogs with him were barking to dissuade him. I figured, what's the harm? So I agreed to go exploring with him through the door. I let him know that I couldn't be gone too long or my mom would be worried. I needed to be home for supper that night. He didn't want to be gone all day either, so off we went. The other dogs began howling as we scampered through the opening in the door. Once we were beyond the door, we realized we were in another place and time, or so we thought. I wanted to mosey along sniffing the strange looking flowers, bushes and trees, but no, Marty began to run off without even looking behind himself to see if I was following or not. Once I realized that he was leaving that area, we both went running through the grass and flowers in search of something or other. Come to find out, Marty knew what he was searching for and did he ever find it. We ended up in another neighborhood, but it looked a lot different than the ones that Marty and I lived in. I should stop right here and say that I'm a Pomeranian, and so is Marty. But Marty has black hair with tan highlights, while my hair is tan, although I like to call myself a blond. After running almost non-stop once he went through that door, Marty came to a dead stop in front of a different breed. This dog was a Shih-Tzu. They both ambled around the corner of a house heading into a wooded lot. I tried to follow them but got a dirty look from Marty, so I headed toward some flowers to wait for them to catch a rabbit or whatever. I lost track of time, but eventually Marty came back around the corner of the house without his new friend and said we needed to head back home. Not really knowing how to find that doorway, we tried to retrace our steps back the way we had come. I found out later that Marty hung around hunting dogs in the neighborhood back home so he had a pretty good idea of where we needed to go. I was getting quite hungry, so I was especially glad when up ahead I saw that old door was still open and beckoning to us. We ran over the threshold and thankfully we were back in our neighborhood. He thanked me for coming on his adventure with him and he went toward his house and I went toward mine. I made it back just as my parents were returning from a trip to town. It was hard for me to believe that I missed a ride in the car, but as soon as they opened the door, I jumped right in. My fortune was with me for they brought home some leftovers and actually let me have them all. I did save some bread for Abby, another dog my parents rescued. I found out some time later that Marty discovered he was the proud father of some Pomeranian and Shih-Tzu puppies. A postcard was sent to him with a picture of the puppy that looked exactly like he does. He can't go visit because someone found a key to lock that door up and his parents won't take him to Indonesia, which he eventually found was the place where we went. The End ~~~~~~~~~~~ This story was inspired by several factors. Both margielynn and another bubblews member which many of you know as javaman had pomeranian dogs, if I remember correctly, and both of their dogs would find ways out of their yards from time to time. Javaman's dog had puppies in Indonesia and Morley Hunt made available her Portal Door image for a challenge, so I thought I'd use the two dogs in a story. Image: courtesy of Morley Hunt and used with her permission © Marsha Musselman 2016 All Rights Reserved
This is a nice story, the portal was a teleporter, I would love so much that someone could find a way to build a teleporter, so to be able to move to other places without really leaving home.
• Midland, Michigan
Then we could all meet together for visits, maybe do a round robin activity. Maybe I'll even think about coming up with a story about that. Hmm.
@MarshaMusselman Yes, it would be wonderful to have a portal so that we can all meet for a chat. You wrote a very good story.
• Preston, England
great story Katie - hope you go on being a good dog for your owner
• Midland, Michigan
We won't know how good she is being or not as her owner, margielynn was here for awhile but is probably sticking mainly to her blog.
• Pleasant Hill, California
You write well for a dog!
• Midland, Michigan
Well, I could say I've been studying under you, Mr. Horse.
@Morleyhunt (15026)
Wonderful use of the portal. I want to go on an adventure soon.
• Midland, Michigan
You still have to get the one you were talking about up too. I've almost posted that one several times but wasn't sure how I wanted to do the explanation. And then, I almost missed the correct tag for it.
@garymarsh6 (11903)
You are very talented. I knew I had seen this picture before and I liked the story too!
Nice story and a cute way to teleport. I would like to be teleported, too, but must be able to return.
@whiteream (3560)
very nice story