Emergency Landing

@moffittjc (41198)
Gainesville, Florida
On the way home from our nature hike today, as we were driving down the road my son and I heard a strange noise overhead, and then were completely startled to see a small airplane come down in front of us and make a hard landing right on the road! Fortunately, traffic was light, and the plane was able to make a safe emergency landing without harming anyone else on the ground. Unfortunately, the plane hit a tree in the median of the road pretty hard, causing some slight injuries to the two passengers inside. Luckily for everyone involved, the plane came down just slightly down the way from a fire station, so it only took about one minute for the first firetruck to arrive. Also, coincidentally, at the same time the plane came down an ambulance happened to be driving down the same stretch of road. The pilot and passenger in the plane were taken to the hospital for observation, although no serious injuries were reported. They were very fortunate that the emergency landing wasn't more serious! My son was pretty excited during the whole ordeal, as he's never seen anything like this before!
@UncleJoe (9481)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
A Piper Cub almost landed on my pickup one day. I nearly had a stroke and heart attack at the same time. I sued for mental anguish but it was thrown out of court because they said I wasn't supposed to be driving on the runway.
@moffittjc (41198)
• Gainesville, Florida
That's hilarious! You actually made me laugh! That reminds me of the time I went out drinking at the bars and was too drunk to drive my truck, so I took a bus home instead. I was pretty impressed with myself, not because I didn't get a DUI, but because I had never driven a bus before!
@UncleJoe (9481)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@moffittjc That's even funnier!
That is so funny! It's a wonder you didn't get shot, driving on the runway!
@VivaLaDani13 (17750)
• Perth, Australia
I'm so glad no one was seriously injured. What a story to share with people though!
@moffittjc (41198)
• Gainesville, Florida
Fortunately, in this incident, everyone survived. If there would have been a fatality, I would have felt guilty sharing the story with everyone.
• Perth, Australia
@moffittjc And you give me yet another reason to add to the "Why Jeff is Awesome.." list.
@moffittjc (41198)
• Gainesville, Florida
@VivaLaDani13 Don't put me too high up on a pedestal Dani, as I'm still human like everyone else! Even if I do wear a cape! LOL
• Pensacola, Florida
Harrison Ford wasn't the pilot was he? I know he had some trouble with a similar plane last year. Glad everyone was okay.
@moffittjc (41198)
• Gainesville, Florida
Haha that's funny! Around here, it'd be more likely to be John Travolta. He lives in Ocala and has his own airport at his house. Apparently he likes to fly!
• Pensacola, Florida
@moffittjc I knew he had his piloting license, but didn't know he lived in Ocala.
@moffittjc (41198)
• Gainesville, Florida
@lexiconlover I was hoping he'd randomly show up to the Harley birthday bash yesterday. All the bikers always mention that they'll be out doing some weekend riding around the area and Travolta will just join in with them out of the blue. Apparently, in addition to flying, he also likes to ride his Harley on the backroads of Florida!
@Scindhia (1958)
• Chennai, India
Thank God everyone was safe. I'm sure I would have shared your son's excitement. I have never seen an emergency landing too.
@moffittjc (41198)
• Gainesville, Florida
This is the second emergency landing I've seen in the last five years. The other was a similar type of plane crash-landing in a parking lot where I had just parked my vehicle minutes before. Unfortunately, that pilot suffered serious injuries, although he lived. A lot of vehicles were also damaged in the parking lot.
@Scindhia (1958)
• Chennai, India
@moffittjc Wonder what prompts such landings? Imagine standing in a parking lot and suddenly a plane coming towards us in high speed... Scary!
@moffittjc (41198)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Scindhia In this case, there was a fire inside the plane, and the cockpit was filling up with smoke. The pilot had to put the plane down as quickly as he could while he could still see to land. Otherwise, he would have been in a fatal crash if he tried to make it back to the airport.
Holy moly. I would have peed myself to see such a sight. Thankfully there were no fatalities.
@moffittjc (41198)
• Gainesville, Florida
And thankfully you didn't witness it! I would hate to see you pee yourself! lol
@moffittjc LOL...wouldn't be a fun thing.
@Rohvannyn (3118)
Poor little Cessna. Looks like a 172 or maybe a 152. I can tell the pilot was trying to fly as slowly as possible so as to avoid injuries - I'm really glad everyone was okay.
@moffittjc (41198)
• Gainesville, Florida
I believe it was a 172. The pilot should be commended for excellent control and navigating skills, because the area where he brought the plane down contained a lot of trees and a lesser skilled pilot could have caused a lot of damage.
@lilnana1111 (2344)
Oh my that would be scary, glad everyone is ok.
@moffittjc (41198)
• Gainesville, Florida
The pilot and passenger were released from the hospital several hours after they were admitted. Neither suffered serious injury, but they wanted to examine them to make sure they had no internal bleeding from the impact.
@JESSY3236 (6084)
That would be scary and exciting. I'm glad no one wasn't seriously injured.
@moffittjc (41198)
• Gainesville, Florida
The pilot and his passenger did sustain injuries and had to be transported to the hospital, but it wasn't anything life threatening.
• Eugene, Oregon
Whoa! That would be a startling surprise while driving. Glad no one was seriously injured.
@moffittjc (41198)
• Gainesville, Florida
It happened so fast I didn't have time to even be startled! lol
@yukimori (9042)
Talk about a once in a lifetime experience! The closest we've come is having one of the hot air balloons at the last annual balloon fest cross the highway in front of us at about 15-20 feet. Glad to hear that there weren't any serious injuries in your case, though. That could have been a lot worse than it was!
@moffittjc (41198)
• Gainesville, Florida
This is actually the second one I've experienced! I was tailgating at a football game a couple of years ago when one of those planes that tows those banners in the sky crashed right in the parking lot where we were tailgating. That pilot was lucky to survive, although he had major back and leg injuries! Somewhere I have a picture of it, but can't seem to find it on this computer. Despite the seriousness of the crash, the photo is quite funny, because the plane crashed into the back of a pickup truck! It looked like the truck was hauling the plane!
wow Im glad was mt more serous amd that the plane did not hit your car I can imagine your sowas excited I havenever seen aplane a cciden either.
@moffittjc (41198)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm just glad it didn't turn out worse, or else my son would have had nightmares for years!
I can imagine he was excited. I've never seen anything like that!
I'm glad it was a safe landing and no serious injuries. I'm sure he was excited. I would be too.
@Lucky15 (33427)
Glad that nonone was hurt
It's lucky you were where you were and not under the plane! How fortunate to have all the emergency services so close. I'm glad no-one was killed. Seems like the pilot chose his landing spot well.
@moffittjc (41198)
• Gainesville, Florida
Yes, he made sure to set the plane down where there were no people or cars. I have a big red Ford F-150, so he said it served as a guide to get him down safely. It was easy to see from the air.
@moffittjc A new selling point for the Ford F-150! Ideal for guiding down light planes in trouble!
@moffittjc (41198)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv I'm good with that, as long as my truck doesn't become the target! I'm searching through all my old photos, because somewhere I have another picture of a small plane crash that happened a few years ago when I was getting ready to go to a sporting event here in town. In that instance, the plane crash-landed in a parking lot and came to rest in the back of a truck! lol
@Bluedoll (17074)
That is some picture. I'm sure there would be local and other news sources liking your picture. The event would also get me excited. How was the wind at the time of the crash? I wonder if the pilot seeing a different traffic situation would have made another choice. Good news here. Everyone was safe.
@moffittjc (41198)
• Gainesville, Florida
There was no wind at the time. There was a fire inside the airplane, so the pilot had to get the plane down as quickly as possible. He was only about a half-mile away from the airport, but just couldn't make it due to the excessive smoke in the cabin of the plane. All things considered, the pilot did an excellent job of safety getting the plane down on the ground without injuring or killing anyone.
@Bluedoll (17074)
@moffittjc That must have been tense. I see those small planes floating around as it doesn't take much power to control descent. Still with smoke I would think it would be almost a split second decision. So lucky there wasn't traffic or someone bicycling or something. It doesn't happen everyday.
@moffittjc (41198)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Bluedoll I was really surprised to hear the pilot comment that he had to bring the plane down quickly because of fire and smoke, but I don't know how he was able to see the road clearly enough to land with all the smoke inside the cockpit.
@nanette64 (17146)
• Fairfield, Texas
Holy crap @moffittjc that would be scary. We had a similar plane go down yesterday just south of Dallas. Sad thing is both adults and 2 children were killed in the crash.
@nanette64 (17146)
• Fairfield, Texas
@moffittjc That's why I'm not an 'airplane' person. I've been in one 3 times and that's plenty.
@moffittjc (41198)
• Gainesville, Florida
@nanette64 I have flown quite a bit in my life, although I don't as much these days as I used to. I never really worried about flying, because they say it is still one of the safest modes of transportation.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
That is seriously bad luck, landing effectively on a road and then hitting a tree.
@moffittjc (41198)
• Gainesville, Florida
Anytime an airplane falls out of the sky, I would consider it good luck to be able to safely land, even if it did hit a tree! I'm sure this pilot is considering himself very lucky in this instance.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
@moffittjc He would have been much luckier if someone had not dumped a tree in the road.
• Rochester, New York
That sounds like it would be a scary thing to experience especially for the folks in the plane. I hope all is ok with the passengers. About how far away from it were you?
@moffittjc (41198)
• Gainesville, Florida
It happened right in front of us. You can see from the picture how close we were. The police eventually made us turn around and get away due to the danger of fire. But I had to give a statement to the police since I saw what happened. There was a fire on the plane when it came down. Looked like the engine was on fire.
@dazzledlady (1624)
Wow, but I wouldnt like to be on that plane
@moffittjc (41198)
• Gainesville, Florida
I wouldn't want to be on any airplane that had to crash-land!