Indian paintbrush already out on Mt. Diablo (everything I know is wrong)!

Pleasant Hill, California
Do you ever miss the days when you thought you knew everything? The older I get, the more I realize that some of the things I held as truths are wrong. Heck, maybe everything I know is wrong! Over the past couple of years, I've been confidently telling people that Indian Warrior, a lovely wildflower, comes up in the early Spring, while Indian Paintbrush waits for the warmer, more dry months. Wrong again. Right now both Indian Warrior and Indian Paintbrush are blooming on Mt. Diablo. The Indian Warrior DID come up a couple of weeks before the Indian Paintbrush, but the Indian Paintbrush is out now too. Maybe it's because we had such a wet early Winter--I'm not sure. I'll attach a picture of Indian Paintbrush that I took last year. You can find a picture of Indian Warrior a few posts back, if you're interested. Can you think of examples of things you knew to be true, only to find out later you were dead wrong (or at least partially wrong)? Sigh.
Both those wild flowers are beautiful, may be the milder winter made them bloom earlier. There are plenty of things that I discovered were not as I thought, as an example I thought that cilantro needed a hot weather, it is exactly the opposite. I have to plant it in a shaded area, as soon as the soil is too warm it develop flowers.
• Pleasant Hill, California
That's actually good for me to know. Some years in Oakland, I'd have cilantro everywhere. Other years, it would never come up. I love cilantro.
@TheHorse I love cilantro too, now I plant some seeds every two months, so I can be sure to have it almost all the year round.
ugh when I eat Mexican food I have to pick out cilantro or get really sick strong and it makes me wheeze and sneeze bad allergy to the stuff just the scent can make me sick to my stomach lol.
mother nature has the last word! lol
• Pleasant Hill, California
Just when I thought I understood her, she throws me a curve ball. Typical woman.
I didn't know anything about either Indian Paintbrush or Indian Warrior and never would have known you were talking about flowers if I didn't read your post. Certainly is interesting and they look really pretty in your picture.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Thanks. I'll try to get more pictures over the next couple of weeks.
we used to get them every year when we first moved in.The last few years have not been around and they were beautiful.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Indian Paintbrush? We get them in Montana too.
@TheHorse South Dakota too
i'm purty sure the weather might'a had somethin' to do with it, although i aint familiar with either plant :( aint got none'f those'n these parts sadly. 's fer yer query?? i'm wrong more'n i'm correct these days 'n that makes me a bit cranky :D
• Pleasant Hill, California
Seems like a lot of my sacred cows are being slaughtered. I don't even know what to call myself politically any more! I suspect the early Winter rain, followed by three weeks of little or no rain, had something to do with the Paintbrush coming up early.
@TheHorse that'll sure do it, hon. heck, i've got a maple tree out here that's bloomed 3 times already this year. jest to've a cold snap come 'long with high winds to blow 'em off. daffodils came up 'fore the grape hyacinths! that was surely a first.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@crazyhorseladycx Glad I'm not the only one who is a bit confused and seeing things happen out of order.
I, too have never heard of either of these. Are they California specific. They look cool. Otherwise, I probably have a bunch of answers to your question, but I'm drawing a blank.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm not sure about Indian Warrior. I've seen Indian Paintbrush in Rocky Mountain States.
@The Horse in the Black Hills of South Dakota Indian Paint brush blooms in the summer and looks so pretty too.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Hatley We have pretty much paint brush up in Montana. I'm not surprised it grows in South Dakota as well. It likes things a bit dryer than does the Indian Warrior.
trying to think of examples well the weed I thought was wild hemp and we called it loco weed as cattle would eat it and act crazy then I f ound out its called jimson weed/
• Pleasant Hill, California
Oh, that's a good one! Is jimson weed supposed to do anything to people?
@TheHorse thats a good question I sure do not know lollol
@TheHorse sigh... yes, I do remember one year we were expecting more snow in March and in fact we have even had snow in early April if Easter comes then. Anyway one year right on schedule the snow came late March but spring had already arrived so you can imagine my surprise to walk outside in my garden, snow all around and one red tulip sticking up from the snow.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Did the tulip survive?
@TheHorse amazingly enough it didn't wilt like tulips tend to do rather quickly. I guess the snow kept it fresh and after all the snow melted this tulip was around to greet other tulips.
The entire scheme of weather is confused this year. Plants and flowers don't know what is going on. Confused. I wouldn't think you were really wrong but that the weather is weird. Don't give up! You know more than you think you do.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I feel like Col. Klink. I...know...nothing.
@TheHorse ....I would carry around a disclaimer for info given about 2015-16 weather.
The older you get, the more that is likely to happen I'm afraid.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Oh rats. So by the time I'm officially "old," I'll realize that everything I thought I knew was wrong?
@TheHorse Yup - pretty much!
@Marcyaz (35669)
I have seen the Indian paintbrush growing wild in Oklahoma and they sure are pretty. I can't think of any examples at this time.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Ah, so that would be on the prairie, not in mountains?
@Marcyaz (35669)
@TheHorse . Yes the prairie you can see them driving on the Freeways, fields of them so pretty.
Them durned Injuns...why they gotta make so much trouble? Hell, we doned gived 'em whiskey, what more do they want?
• Pleasant Hill, California
Indian Warrior is supposed to have sedative properties, but muching on a few petals didn't do it for me. Can't trust them durned Indian anythings.
Yes, but let's not talk about the men I have known in my life.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Oh, do tell. I was a Borderline Personality Disorder magnet for awhile. The humanity.
@TheHorse I seem to be a terrible judge of character. Most were liars. One is even in prison for massive fraud.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Were you in Southern California at the time? I liked Southern California because people seemed happier than up here, but they were also a bit more "slick." Some men are narcissists and sociopaths. I thought I was a good judge of character. Most of my friends are very cool, and very honest. But for awhile I allowed my self to fall victim to the "passion" of borderlines. Like sociopaths (and narcissists), they lack empathy.
Heck no, I am grandma who knows everything!! lol
@Lucky15 (33382)
SanTa Claus. Lol Those were love flowers.
How dare you call them Indian when I have not seen them here being an avid gardener. As far as righting the wrong that is an ongoing process as far as I am concerned.
This is a pretty plant. And yes, I am continually being corrected about something. You just can't trust anything these days!