What did you Read in February

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Granted February isn’t over yet. I still have nearly two hours before March begins, but I don’t imagine I will be finishing anymore books in that time, so I will go ahead and start my book discussion for the month. Last month I managed to finish five books, this month I was able to squeeze in seven but I don’t imagine my total number for any one month will be much more. In the past four weeks I have read Dragon’s Gate by Laurence Yep. A fictional account of a young Chinese immigrant and his experience working on the railroad in the late 1860s. It’s part of a series of books about Chinese-American heritiage aimed at middle schoolers, but with enough meat to engage anyone who enjoys historical fiction. My daughter and I read this book together as part of her American history studies. Whatever Happened to Justice by RIchard Maybury. A look at how our legal system has evolved from Common Law to Political Law and how we would be better off economically and socially if we would stick with the foundational laws of 1. Do all you have agreed to do and 2. Do not encroach on other persons or their property. The Big Short by Michael Lewis. This is a book that was recommended by @Deborah-Diane. It was a bit tough going since much of the vernacular of bond trading was new to me, but it was an interesting read. It was a rather enlightening narrative that shows how much our economy is impacted by people who don’t really have a clue what they are doing. Watership Down by Richard Adams. This was one of those novels that has been on my to-read list for years. My girls and I listened to an audio production of this tale of a group of rabbits. It was an enjoyable book, and begged discussion of politics and social interaction though I made an effort not to suck the joy out of the story by attempting to over analize it. Cell by Robin Cook. @Hatley mentioned that she was reading a Robin Cook novel. Cook is an author I have enjoyed in the past and one evening I was looking for a “light” read to load onto my Kindle. I must confess that a few chores got postponed longer than they should have as I was sucked into a tale of high tech medicine and intrigue. A bit of fiction that caused me to ponder the positive potential of linking medicine with technology, and the negative potential of letting the government and the insurance companies have too much control over access. Tea With Hezbollah by Ted Dekker and Carl Medearis. A journalist travels to the Middle East with an American with a heart for the Arab people (and who has made his home with them) to interview “the enemy.” It was an eye opening reminder that there are always multiple perspectives on any conflict and, ultimately, people are people and we all want the same things; security and hope for our children. So what have you read this month?
You have done well. These all seem to be books of some substance. Mine have been much lighter reading but of the five I've read I won't be keeping any of them so I've gained a bit of space in the bookshelf - which I then sabotaged by buying two books from the library reject shelf! Love the photo - she/he looks like he/she nodded off while reading. At least she/he hasn't dropped the book. :) Has he/she advanced past Cat in the Hat?
She seems to have given up reading altogether. I think she got frustrated when I attempted to push her into more difficult books . I have discovered that I am more inclined to read books of substance if I know I am going to be sharing my book list. Tea With Hezbollah, even though it was very good, and has earned a place in in my list of top books was only on the finished list this month because I gave up trying to read it and got the audio book to listen to while doing other things.
@Platespinner Yes, I wouldn't want all and sundry knowing what I'm reading sometimes. I must be a bit of a book snob. :)
@JudyEv I started being a little more careful about my reading choices when I discovered my daughter was reading my books...
@UncleJoe (8099)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Eye charts.
That sounds like a colossally dull read .
not much of a plot there Uncle Joe
That's a bit sad but I'm sure there are better stories in line for you.
@MGjhaud (20810)
i've read A Thin Dark Line by Tami Hoag and The Mission Song bu John Le Carré. February was a bit slow since i arrived here at my parents house, just too busy with something else. anyway, im halfway through Ridley Pearson's Killer View.
I've visiting family at the moment so I won't make much progress in the reading department this week.
@MGjhaud (20810)
@Platespinner thats ok, can always resume anytime.
I have read Tami Hoag and Ridley Pearson. Good entertainment writers. I could never get into John LeCarre. I found Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy very tedious.
I like the picture of the kitty. I read 8 books in January and 5 in February. Those 5 included two Grishams.
It's been a while since I read a Grisham, his stuff was always riveting!
@Platespinner I mainly read mysteries. Some authors like Grisham I follow.
I haven't read a Grisham in awhile. Guess it's time to catch up since I'm probably way behind in his books
I have read "Inferno" by Dan Brown, a beautiful book. Now I am reading "Finders Keepers" by Stephen King, it's an interesting book.
I just loaded Inferno on my Kindle...now I just need to find some time to sit down and read!
@Platespinner I could not stop reading, Dan Brown is a great writer.
@LadyDuck I haven't had a chance to read more than the first few pages...I'll blame my sister.
I read more things up online than I do books. I pick a subject and read as much as I can on that subject.
The internet is a treasure trove of information, but I still love curling up with a good book!
@CoralLevang (39856)
"The Survivor" by Gregg Hurwitz; not great writing, but a good story I would like to see in a movie.
You've piqued my curiousity, I might have to check that one out sometime in the future.
I have read a couple Hurwitz. Entertaining enough crime/thriller writer.
@CoralLevang (39856)
@JohnRoberts I didn't really like the style of writing and if it works that it was a good story line, I would have not finished that book. I think that the one book I red would have made a great movie, but it just really did not interest me in reading any more of his things.
@AnneEJ (5118)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
I read a lot of books in February on my Kobo. I read mostly Christian Fiction.
I read a fairly eclectic mix of fiction, non-fiction, children's literature and young adult lit...it keeps me occupied.
@Platespinner the most recent young adult I read was Maze Runner and then #2 Scorch Trials. Still have to get #3
@xFiacre (10391)
@platespinner I've slowed down on reading lately, but this month I read Philip Yancey's Vanishing Grace and Rowan Somerville's The End of Sleep - hilarious.
I really enjoy Philip Yancey's work and am currently reding What Good is God with my daughters.
@xFiacre (10391)
@Platespinner One of my favourite writers.
@funkeyguhl (1697)
I am a bad reader these past few years. I am going to be more active in reading these next few months but for now, I am currently reading light books like a chick lit - shopping for a billionaire - not sure if that even rings a bell.
I occasionally go through stretches where I only read light, fluffy stuff. Chick-lit definitely has its place.
@Platespinner it just makes you feel good doesn't it? :) I haven't touched a book yet that's a bit hard core. Do you have any suggestions? :D
Just went over to my sister's house to pick up book #18 of a series we are hooked on big time. Wondered why we loved the Miss Julia books by Ann B. Ross, then it dawned on me that Miss Julia is just like our grandmother. Miss Julia is beyond proper and a follower of proper etiquette to the max. Miss Julia resides in Pitt County, NC. Well for heaven's sake, my grandmother's family settled in Pitt County, NC in the 1600s. Sis and I are running into the same sayings, the same etiquette advice, and the rules of proper behavior taught to us by our grandmother in those books. Talk about a self-to-text connection. I also read Murder in Little Egypt which is superb and I am in the middle of Celestial Navigation by Anne Tyler. Have lost count of the number of books read this month. I will just say, "a lot."
I got into a conversation at the end of 2015 discussing how many books each had read over the course of the year. My response to that conversation was "a lot" and I found it decidedly unsatisfying. So writing a post about it each month is motivation to keep track, and is giving me new suggestions to read as well. I may have to check out the Miss Julia series, the only North Carolina fiction I've read have been They Loved to Laugh by Kathryn Worth, And The Notebooks by Nicholas Sparks.
My most recent reads are: Room by Emma Donoghue, Alert by James Patterson, The Glass Kitchen by Linda Francis Lee and now I'm half way through the Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski
I haven't read any of those, do you have a favourite from among them.
@checky99 (226)
• Spain
I read some books that school sent to me. One of them was "El Quijote" of Miguel de Cervantes. Does anybody here know something about these? other was in valencian, a language from the East coast of Spain. Also if I had more time I'd continue reading "En busca de la felicidad" of Matthieu Ricard
I'm familiar with Don Quixote By Cervantes, however I have not read it (either in Spanish or English...though my daughter has read the English translation).
@Morleyhunt (15947)
February was an extremely busy month. I listened to or read at least three adult books and hundreds of children's books. Llama, llama Misses Mama, and Llama, Llama, Mad at Mama are just two of the books I read to my granddaughter.
You need to start keeping a list of all those picture books you read .
@Lucky15 (33713)
haven't read anything this month :( surely this march, i will :)
I've had months like that, myself!
@Scindhia (1981)
• Chennai, India
I have read the lion's game and whiteout - both thrillers. I read some books online too. Then I read some nursery books with my son. Does that count?
Counting those nursery books should give you a long list. My kids used to beg me to read, and read and read.
• Eugene, Oregon
You get a lot more reading done than I do. I read each night before I turn out the light. The daylight hours seem filled with part-time work, myLot, chores, and stuff. My latest was a spy novel by Olen Steinhauer called "The Cairo Affair." It is a ripped from the headlines tale about the Middle East, especially Egypt and Libya. A well-written tale by an author I am hooked on.
I read to my children daily as part of our home-school program (they're teens so we cover some fairly meaty stuff sometimes), and I listen to audio while I'm driving or working on otherwise mindless tasks around the house. Only two of the books on my list were read the old fashioned way for my own edification/pleasure.
@irishidid (8119)
I feel bad I haven't read anything but work keeps me busy and I try not to read when I'm writing. Don't need to be influenced!
Most of the books that I read were either with my children for school or audio books while travelling. I love books, but don't have the time to sit down and read (and read, and read) the way I would like to. I squeeze it in any way I can.
• Japan
I love Watership Down and have read it several times. I also enjoy Laurence Yep's works. I have been very busy with my mom's health and haven't had much concentration to read, so I just finished re-reading the Harry Potter series.
Revisiting children's literature is a great way to deal with stress--at least for me.
@Telynor (1117)
Great list! I read Watership Down decades ago, and while I did find it interesting, I also discovered that I would probably never read it again. That Tea with Hezbollah looks very interesting.