Do you know why the lobster is so expensive?

lobster
Guangzhou, China
Now I know that actually it spends over 10 years for a lobster to grow up. Since it is a long time, so the quantity will not be so many. And this is why the lobster is so expensive.
Once upon a time, lobsters were the poor men meal. Until the beginning of 19th century they were everywhere. Then, around the turn of the century, the restaurants in Maine started to serve whole, boiled lobsters to rich summer vacationers. Blame them for the price of lobsters.
In China, a kind of crabs were also the food for the poors. But now they are mainly for the rich people.
@youless Many foods that were poor men food are now for the rich. It is incredible how things change over the years.
@LadyDuck It is just like that the thin people are usually the rich people today
• Calgary, Alberta
You need to dive under the ocean to catch them. You will be riding a boat that runs with gasoline to catch them too. Also there is a high demand too. When they catch baby lobster, they let them grow for a decade before they get sold,
Yes, diving to catch the lobsters is also a hard work.
• Calgary, Alberta
@youless crocodile meat is cheaper than lobster and I believe they have the same taste,
@CaptAlbertWhisker My mom ever bought the crocodile meat to make the soup. I can't say the meat is nice because it is like the pork in my opinion. Whereas lobster is much more delicious
Thanks for that explanation. I would it costs a lot to transport lobsters too. I had lobster decades ago, but no longer eat meat or fish.
Yes, at least you have to use a lot of ice to make sure the lobsters keep fresh. And most of the time they may ship it by plane.
@scheng1 (24748)
No wonder. I seldom have lobsters, though I like it when I have a chance to eat it. I think with lobster farming, there will be a constant flow of supply. But then, the demand for lobster is always higher than the supply.
So I think perhaps it is cheaper to eat the lobsters in Thailand. My friend even told me it was cheaper to eat it in Philippines.
@iamshane487 (1155)
• Manila, Philippines
Now I know why they are expensive. When I was a child, I was able to get lobsters with my friends at the creek and they will bite our fingers.
I think it is more common for you to have the lobsters since there are many beautiful beaches in your country.
@ida123 (6242)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Wow, lobster takes 10 years to grow? That's the reason why the lobsters cost high.
10 years is a very long time.
@skysnap (17963)
Yes, also some parts of the world lobsters are less in numbers. And some lobsters are now in breeding factories. so it costs a lot to maintain too.
The consuming is still much.
I think it's where your buying it to be honest. I know people that don't dar pay what it cost me for lobster.
Of course it depends where you buy it.