Large Portion Food Dilemma

@dianadee (1727)
South Africa
Large Portion Food Dilemma I have noticed a new phenomenon that is sweeping the world these days. The portions of main courses and desserts are getting bigger and bigger as we speak. Even a salad came to the table looking like a pyramid. No wonder their is an obesity problem all around...from toddlers to adults! The reason behind this is that the eatery is wanting you to pay more for your portions. My huband and I share these days and ask for two plates! Not always appreciated of course as their tip is diminished as well! Anyhow we have not been hooked into eating these unwanted large plates of food. Also helps halve the bill! When the pudding menu comes round we try to do the same thing but often succumb to the tantalizing full portion! The toasted treats have also got bigger and better ..oozing with a heap of cheese. The lemon meringue slices are enormous....the main photo will depict this! I would hate to count the calories...too much to bear...almost a whole daily calorie allowance for a day! What do you think about this..are you happy or concerned?
I've noticed this even in our fish and chip shops. One portion is easily big enough for my husband and I, so we save money the same way that you do.
@dianadee (1727)
• South Africa
Love fish and chips too ..always give half of my chips to my husband. Funny ..no chips in this photo!
@dianadee Wot no chips!! Shouldn't be allowed.
@dianadee (1727)
• South Africa
@jaboUK It does look as if something has gone missing!
I think it is just a ploy so they can charge more. The muffins here are humungous - much bigger than they need be. It's a good idea to share.
@dianadee (1727)
• South Africa
Share the calories too!
@dianadee That's an even better idea!
@kevin1877uk (36966)
I don't think I could eat all of that, it looks nice but a small piece would be nice.
@dianadee (1727)
• South Africa
Too big a portion can be off putting.
@kevin1877uk (36966)
@dianadee Totally, I just can't eat large portions.
@T_gray (7808)
• Salina, Kansas
I hear ya, the food portions are getting bigger when every diet out there says to lesson your portions. Its an epidemic, I tell ya. You have the right idea to share your food with your hubby. I personally go for the doggie bag and enjoy the leftovers the next day.
@dianadee (1727)
• South Africa
Doggie bag is the way to go, really!
we used to go to a cafe called C laim jum,per and their positrons were huge so we would buy one entree and split it and have plenty for two adults.
@dianadee (1727)
• South Africa
Splitting it is a whole lot cheaper too!
We are not concerned about big portion in this part of the world. Restaurants are not very generous.
@dianadee (1727)
• South Africa
Anna that is quite funny!
@dianadee Not really considering how much the food costs here in Switzerland. I was amazed when I saw the price of food in the United States.
@dianadee (1727)
• South Africa
@LadyDuck Is it very pricey?..our food prices are getting outrageous in S.A.
@AnneEJ (5008)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
You are right and I hardly ever order a salad in a restaurant any more. It would take me hours to eat the large one they bring. At home, I have been trying to cut down on portion size and one way is by using a smaller plate, as we tend to fill whatever size plate we use.
@dianadee (1727)
• South Africa
Funnily enough I have been eating off a side plate lately and it is definitely working.
@sishy7 (27631)
I'm concerned because I hate to see food wasted. Fish and chips here always come with heaps of fries that I've seen kids just left them on their plate after eating the small portion they could managed...
@dianadee (1727)
• South Africa
I agree there is a lot wasted on the plate..kids cannot manage the heap of food.
@Micmac (8984)
The restaurants I go to are pretty skimpy with their portions. Their rice is barely enough to feed a bird. Chinese restaurants serve less shrimps in their dishes and don't give the free fortune cookies like they use to before. I would like to have the bigger portions any day.