If Life Hands You Chicken, Make Soup!

@Raelove (15177)
Saco, Maine
I couldn't resist the price--$1.79 a pound--of the boneless skinless chicken breasts at Marketbasket yesterday, so I bought a small package of them. I repackaged and froze most of it and used about a pound to make chicken-noodle soup. In the past, my homemade soups were always too brothy and watery for me. But since I learned to make a beurre manie, which is a mixture of soft butter and flour, my soups have been thick and much richer. Beurre manie is a cooking technique that is much like a roux, but instead of starting a sauce with it, it's added at the end of the cooking. It works on the same principle as a thickener made with cornstarch and cold water, but it adds much more flavor and smoothness to the soup. You take equal parts of soft butter and flour and blend them together in a small bowl to make a paste. Then you add small amounts of it to the simmering soup and stir until it thickens to the consistency you like. You can store extra beurre manie in the fridge for a couple of days to use later. It's my go-to method now when I want to thicken a soup or stew. (Public Domain Image)
I am not all that sure about adding butter to chicken soup. I work hard to make soup that has no 'fat' in it. I could see it in stew.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
It works in either soup or stew, and you would not believe the flavor boost the butter gives the soup. In a big pot of soup, you're only using a tablespoon of butter. So the fat content is 100 calories distributed through almost 2 quarts of soup, which is minimal. Not sure how you make soup with no fat in it at all, as all soup bases, stocks, broths, do contain some fat. Unless you use vegetable broth, which does not.
@Raelove I make burgers with no fat in them so I can make soup that way too. I don't use a bought base to make soup, I make my own stock and use meat or chicken with no fat at all. I have to be extremely careful what I eat. To me chicken soup is chicken, carrots, celery and either rice or noodle. Just the basic chicken soup. That's what I can handle.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
@AbbyGreenhill I'm not sure how you make a fat-free burger. All meat has some fat content, some more, some less. Do you use vegetable protein to make your burgers?
Now that is a convenient way to make chicken into something edible !
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
Yes, it is. It works like a charm, and is so delicious.
@Raelove it is darn too bad for me (as I used to love chicken) that my blood type AB cannot metabolize the proteins in it, so I substitute turkey which also makes a really good soup, stew etc !
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
@enlightenedpsych2 This method of thickening works with any type of soup or stew. Try it the next time you make turkey soup!
@fishtiger58 (30304)
• Momence, Illinois
I have used that as well to thicken soups. Have to add slowly or you get a dumpling lol.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
Lol, yup! I sometimes melt the butter in the microwave, so it blends even more smoothly with the flour. I then add it at a rate of about a teaspoon at a time, and the soup has to be very hot for it to dissolve right away.
@fishtiger58 (30304)
• Momence, Illinois
@Raelove and when I actually want dumplings they come out badly lol.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
@fishtiger58 LOL. I haven't made them in years. Dumplings are something you have to eat fresh and hot. Otherwise, they get soggy. So I probably won't be making them anytime soon. But that's the way with some things: when you want them to turn out, they don't!
I've never heard of that. Thank you.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
You're welcome. I find it works best on a soup or stew with a very thin watery broth by adding both substance and flavor.
@Raelove I bet it does. When I make anything like that, it's watery. Now I know how to fix the problem.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
@just4him Yup. You just have to remember to add it a little at a time until it's as thick as you want it. And the broth has to be bubbling hot so the flour will dissolve right away.
My grandmother used to always have soup brewing on the back of the old wood burning stove in her kitchen. It was usually a chicken neck and left over veggies. She always fed whoever came around and was used to doing this since the thirties. This thickening sounds interesting but I don't think I'd use it in soup.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
I don't see why not. Many ready-to-serve canned soups today have thick broth, so they are using a thickener. You would be surprised at how how rich and creamy this soup is. Here's a link that gives more information on it.
A few weeks ago we sent our first newsletter and I made a painful typo – I referred to Beurre Manié as Beurre Maine.  Apparently I decided it was time to change ‘kneaded butter’ into something that was French New England Butter. Ooops. Beurre Manié is easy
@Raelove ....Better to make your own than the store stuff. I just don't like thickened soup.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
@celticeagle I do as long as it's not canned. The last few I tried were horrible. No flavor at all. Easy enough to make my own and I know I'll like it.
Thanks for the explanation of what a "beurre manie" means.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
You're welcome. It's a great technique, and gives a sauce or gravy a much more velvety consistency.
@Raelove It does sound like something Julia Child would do.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
@marlina I do remember her doing it. Other TV cooks have done it, too.
That sounds a good way to thicken soup. I've done similar but not quite in this manner. I buy meat when it's on special and freeze portions too.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
I couldn't resist that price. And I love chicken made in so many different ways. Boneless is so easy to work with, too, as there is absolutely no waste at all.
@Raelove True, I like to make chicken fingers.
I know what a roux is, but not beurre manie! Ok, I gotta try this - my chicken soups are always too brothy!! My father in law used to make the best soups but he passed on without writing down his everyday recipes - but I think he said he used to make a roux. But I've always been too lazy to do it. I wonder what the difference in taste is vs the beurre manie. And of course butter makes everything taste good
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
If you start with a roux, the flavor of the butter dissipates as you cook the first ingredients in it. If you add the beurre manie at the end, all the other flavors have developed, and the butter flavor is passed directly on to the broth. Notice the canned soups that you buy nowadays, the ready-to-eat ones. The broth is thick and rich, not watering. I suspect that if you work a tablespoon or two of the butter-flour paste in at the end of your soups, you will be pleasantly surprised at how good they turn out and taste.
@Raelove That's true. Sometimes you see this bit of "skin" floating at the top before you heat it up - perhaps that is a bit flavored fat - maybe it is butter. Well I'm going to try this for sure. I've done the cornstarch thing too, and that will definitely thicken the soup, but it doesn't really add to the flavor.
I usually make a beurre manié to thicken sauces, while I use cornstarch (and no butter) to thicken soups.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
I've used cornstarch, too. But the beurre manie adds so much more flavor.
@Raelove I avoid to use the butter as much as I can, my husband should not consume dairy products, so the cornstarch is a good solution.
• Lakewood, Colorado
I love making soups Rachel. I too add thickener, with flavor, to the soup at the end when I boil at very high heat and then add the flavoring. I like your way of doing it. I dont add butter because of calories. I always add Bisto flavoring.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
It only calls for about 1 tablespoon of butter. So in a big pot of soup, that's not much at all. Never heard of Bisto.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Raelove Oh only one tablespoon? Thats not harmful then. Bisto is a gravy mix but is quite healthy compared to bullion. It is powder mix but of course can only be bought on Amazon where I live..it is English.
I always enjoy learning something new and never knew about a beurre manie
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
I think I learned it from one of the Barefoot Contessa episodes. She used it to thicken a stew of some type. A lot easier than using a roux, I think.
I would not know how to make chicken soup. I am not a fan of cooking, but my husband would be delighted with your chicken soup. He should make some for himself since I am a vegetarian. He has the time.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
I'm sure he would. Mine doesn't call for anything fancy, just some garlic, onion, celery and carrots sauteed in oil. Then he'd add the cubed chicken, season it, and cook till it loses its pink color. Next, he would add some stock or broth. I used bouillon cubes this time to about a quart of water, or I've used a quart of premade stock. Bring that a boil, simmer for a bit, and then add some egg noodles. At this point, I also add some parsley and sage, and I cook till the noodles are tender. I finish it with the flour and butter paste, and add a bit at a time till it gets to the thickness I like. He could make you a vegetable soup the same way using vegetable broth and thicken the soup with flour and margarine.
@silvermist (15816)
@Raelove I have never done this .I think,I will try your method one of these days.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
It's very easy and simple. You just add it to the broth at the end of making the soup.
• Denmark
My husband likes soup, I don't. My impression is that it fills the stomach without being substantial.
@Raelove (15177)
• Saco, Maine
Some soups are definitely not very filling. But this one is, as it's closer to a stew once it's thickened and the noodles have cooked. It's a one-pot meal: meat, vegetables, noodles, and a nice thick sauce. I find watery soups not filling at all, which is probably why they are so often served as a first course in restaurants.