Critique needed :)

zombie, fear, horror, death, fiction
By DJ
@Daljinder (22196)
So after procrastinating for a while, I have finally found the courage to put up a very small part of the long story I have written. I need your feedback on it. Let me know your HONEST opinions on it please........ It is a zombie fiction..... So, not everyone is going to be interested. No worries about that. But kindly spare a moment and point out the errors, if any, in the way I write putting aside the subject. I will greatly appreciate it. Okay so, this is from the point of view of the male lead. It is based in USA as a back setup. Remember that, this is a fiction. Here we go.... ******* I sighed bored and picked up the remote to flip through the channels on T.V. “……..the strange sickness hits a large number of people showing symptoms like nausea, spitting blood, strange cravings, and change in …..” Rolling my eyes I changed the channel. “……….the CDC investigation had confirmed the causal organism as an unknown virus. Rumors have it that it was used as a bio-weapon…………” I sighed frustrated with the same thing being broadcasted by every news channel over and over. “……..Over fifteen states had now been confirmed showing people with the signs of mysterious illness……” I sighed again probably for the millionth time it seems. I had been lazing around on my sofa, munching on the chips and slurping on the smoothie. I still had some packing to do. I should have been on the road by now. But no, I am still here at my Condo in Gold Coast, Chicago. “…..All communications and transports with other countries had been shut down. The states affected had been quarantined. The government had already called in military back up……….” “…..suspects Zombie Outbreak…” I scoffed openly and switched the damn thing off. I mean Zombies? Really, what was next? Hobbits or the dragons? “Friggin’ idiots” I muttered and shook my head. Some people called in sick and the doctors couldn’t figure things out. So what do we know next? It’s the end of the friggin’ world. ****** So, what do you say? (Photo by Pixabay and edited by me.)
@irishidid (8734)
You want a critique, not a review. I like the way you start out. Need to get rid of the unnecessary words ie "Now I scoffed openly... " The "now" is unnecessary. Make sure your sentences are complete and make sense. Needs a bit of work but all in all not bad. Good job.
@Daljinder (22196)
Alright another error corrected. Thanks for pointing that out. Thanks!
@thesids (22357)
• Bhubaneswar, India
I should have seen this coming.... You read too much Q. Werent the Vampires, Draculas, Ghosts, Witches good enough
@Daljinder (22196)
There is always a scope for learning and messing up with more fictional beings........
@thesids (22357)
• Bhubaneswar, India
@Daljinder Do they have classes on me too
@Daljinder (22196)
@thesids Oh yeah!! @VivaLaDani13 is conducting those classes. I assist her some times. BUT they are very expensive to enroll into. Are you sure you can afford them? You have to sell your soul to the myLot admin (Satan).
I would say so far so good, if I heard Zombies were coming. I would head to the store and, then barricade myself inside the house with my family lol.
@Daljinder (22196)
Dude! But for how long?? Zombies never get tired. They never stop. They don't die on their own. They will start accumulating in one place. Their number would keep on increasing outside of your house with every day that goes by. They can smell fresh blood and your flesh is luring them in. Every little noise is noticed by them. And this isn't even the worst thing about them........ Now what would ya do? Muwahahahaa....!!
@Daljinder (22196)
@TRBRocks420 That would do too. Until the ammo runs out. *sigh* You need to be better prepared.
@Daljinder (22196)
@Mike197602 Oh yeah, I hear .22 caliber is the most common in USA. And those Texans have their own special weapons..lol The rifles.
@pumpkinjam (5800)
Sounds like a good start. There are some places where things could be clearer but I assume you'll be editing anyway. Not that it needs much editing, just a couple of long sentences which could be made clearer and sharper, if you understand what I mean, One thing, though, if you don't mind me saying - I think it would be better to replace the world 'several' with a large number. It would give it more impact. By the way, one of the many 'hats' I wear is that of an editor. :)
@Daljinder (22196)
Friggin' A I hit the jackpot. I found an editor.... *squeal* Lol... Thanks a lot!! I do not mind at all you suggesting anything. I want to improve my writing and get published someday. This is kind of my attempt at taking a chance at finding out how people would react to my writings. So, feel free to point out any grammatical errors or any improvements. It is all good with me. I made some corrections as you suggested....... You can check it out. :)
@Daljinder I think I need to improve on my own skills. I meant to replace 'several' with, for example, 10 million, not literally 'a large number! Sorry, that was me being unclear. Not that there's anything wrong with what you've put :) I'll keep a look out for your work and offer you anything I think will help. :)
@Daljinder (22196)
@pumpkinjam Ah! okay... No worries about that. And thanks for the help. Looking forward to more helpful suggestions in future.
@Mike197602 (13937)
Honestly???...it reads like a screenplay or a play. Is it part of a novel or novella? If so then it needs to read as such which it doesn't at the moment.
@Mike197602 (13937)
@Daljinder Yes, in a novel I'd suggest the sounds are removed as single bits of text but they could be described. It needs more filling out with descriptions of things. I'd suggest if you're looking to sell the book at some stage you maybe should think of something that gives a different slant on the zombie genre. I do like zombie stuff so hopefully you'll keep going so when you get famous I can boast to my friends that I read the first bits of your story
@Daljinder (22196)
@Mike197602 The description is there further along the chapter. This is like a small paragraph out of a single chapter. Okay so sound parts would be taken care of... I don't know about publishing it. It depends on the response I get from here. And yes I have 10 chapters written already. I think if I shared only first chapter like this in parts. It would take about 7-10 discussions or maybe more. lol
@scheng1 (24741)
Is this the start? You can change it into a non-zombie virus too. I think Michael Crichton and Tom Clancy had written about a bio-weapon. Tom Clancy managed to combine Eloba with flu virus, and turn it into a deadly virus that has a high kill rate.
@Daljinder (22196)
@scheng1 Hey! :) Yes this is the start. I already have 10 chapters written with 12-16 pages each. This is a very small part of it... I looked into Tom Clancy and found his work "The Andromeda Stain". I think I am going to study it. Thanks a lot for the suggestion.
I do not like zombies, but I decided to read your post, just to give you my opinion. I would shorten the paragraphs where you are lazing on the sofa slurping, this interrupts the story.
@Daljinder (22196)
Done....... Thank you for your opinion even though you have no fondness for zombies. That makes me more grateful. I am actually asking critique for my writing. The subject is just an example.
@Daljinder Your short novel is well written, so I suggest you to write more.
@Daljinder (22196)
@LadyDuck This is not a short one exactly. This is just a very small part of 15 pages long chapter. And I have written 10 chapters in total as of yet... Thanks :)
I did not find any substance per se to comment. Your approach seemed too informal.
@Daljinder (22196)
Could you explain what you are saying? Sorry I didn't actually get it..... If its not a bother??
@Daljinder Sorry but I did not find any substance to comment on What exactly do you want to know - is it your style of writing and that i have said seems informal. Beyond this I canot contribute. I have never done this type of work before.
@Daljinder (22196)
@allknowing Alright ... No worries :)
@vandana7 (68713)
You talking about my cousins? They are nice folks Porridge...I never had any issues with them... Now as to your content..I humbly state...my skills are inadequate. :)
@Daljinder (22196)
Oh my God for a moment I thought you were talking about your real life cousins. Then it hit me that you were talking in the sense considering you are Vampire Queen. Sorry, my bad. No worries about the topic. I am wishing to get a decent feedback and want to improve my work. May be even get a confidence boost so that I could move ahead and get myself published. I have several plots running through my head and they are kind of getting annoying now.. Lol So, I thought to take the plunge here on myLot... Let's see how this goes... :)
@vandana7 (68713)
@Daljinder ..Yeah..lack of emoticons always gets me into soup...but hey it also gets others in to some.....
@Daljinder (22196)
@vandana7 Aww.. Lol It sure does..
@inertia4 (27784)
I think this could be a wonderful story. I like what I read so far. And I think you have talent as well. Keep it up. Lets us all know when this story is complete. Maybe we can read it here or somewhere else.
@Daljinder (22196)
@inertia4 Thank you! The story is in progress but I don't think I can post it here. It's rather long. lol
@inertia4 (27784)
@Daljinder Okay. But you can post it in chapters or installments. Good luck with it.
It's good. You do need some help with it. Watch your tenses. You're mixing first and third together in the same sentence. Keep it to third person. It works best. In your second bold statement from the television news cast it should be Rumors have not has. Otherwise this is good and no, I'm not a Zombie person but I know how important a critique is. I hope this helped.
@Daljinder (22196)
I got the tenses one noted... I will check them out. But I didn't understand mixing first and third? Are you talking about first person(I, we) and the third person(He, she, they)? Or first form of verb or second form? News statement corrected.... Thanks for pointing all of these out. I agree critique is important. Without an honest one I can't improve myself. And I want to improve.
@Daljinder First and third as in first and third person.
@pgiblett (6576)
Is this the beginning? It seems a good way to bring people into the story.
@Daljinder (22196)
Yes this is the beginning. I am trying to get the feel around how people take to my writing regardless of the subject/genre.
@pgiblett (6576)
@Daljinder It gives a sense of frustration, perhaps the hope that there may be something better.
@VivaLaDani13 (22552)
• Perth, Australia
Don't leave me hanging! What happens next?! lol Seriously, I am already intrigued. I want to know what happens once he leaves his condo. Where is he heading? And if he will counter any zombies and AHHHH SEND ME THE NEXT PART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My friend in Adelaide started a story of her own and I was SO intrigued but she stopped. So sad because it was really good. And plus it bugged my OCD lol I feel incomplete not knowing the rest of the story. Yes I am easily amused but this was really interesting to me! And also because I like zombie things. I was reading a few of what other people had to say about your style of writing, I see the points they are making. I didn't think much about HOW you wrote it. I mean I am good at picking up spelling mistakes and poor use of grammar ( which I didn't see in your story ) but I am not really all that good at looking for any other type of faults. Again, I am just easily amused and this was too interesting for me to think of how it was worded. I will just say I really like it so far and was honestly bummed out when it stopped.
@Daljinder (22196)
@VivaLadani13 Thank you! Will think about sharing. lol I wrote this one years ago. I am 10 chapters in with almost 6000 words chapter each. It needs some editing and I have better alterations in mind for the plot. I wrote the story because even though I liked Twilight book series, I did not like the character's traits. Then I was intrigued with zombies and such. So, I kind of put my interpretations of Twilight characters into zombie infested world.
I don't have an imaginative mind when it comes to horror movies nor books. Though , i would like it to end nicely where the zombies were killed.
@Daljinder (22196)
For human kind to survive and re-establish their dominance, it has to be one...
@RussTeed (1503)
I am not a zombie fan, but this is well written.
@Daljinder (22196)
Okay.. Thanks!! :)
The minute you said it was zombie fiction I was going to go away, but as it is you, and you asked so nicely, I read it. If it's a novel I wouldn't put the 'slurps' etc. in there as they just interrupt the flow, in my opinion.
Not my type of story, but it may interest others. I'd check the capitalization and punctuation, as well as overuse of adjectives. Keep in mind that I am not an editor!
@Daljinder (22196)
Okay.. Duly noted