Is Size Important?

@owlwings (39362)
Cambridge, England
These little guys stand on my windowsill forever debating silently over the large (to them) blank canvas in front of them. I occasionally glance up at them and wonder whether their little wooden heads can see a marvellous work of art which is invisible to me or whether they are planning to paint one. Now and then, I change their positions and make them become arborealists tending to the enormous geranium in the pot to the right or maybe I will set them to mending the broken terracotta pot you can see behind the canvas. I am not quite sure what it is I find attractive about them but I think that it is that they remind me (with amusement) that things which we see as huge and important may really be tiny and insignificant and that things which we tread underfoot without thinking may be awesomely beautiful or insurmountable or have all-consuming importance to others. How do you remind yourself of the scale of things, if you do need reminding?
I do not need a reminder, I also like to create small worlds around my house. A miniature pond with little Murano glass ducks around it. Photographed with a macro, it almost look real.
@sueznewz2 (10068)
• Alicante, Spain
ooohhh that sounds nice.... could we see a photo .... plleaaasseee... I love murano glass... I often use it in my jewelry work...
@sueznewz2 I will take out the pond and ducks and take a photo, possibly during the weekend.
@sueznewz2 (10068)
• Alicante, Spain
@LadyDuck thank you ..... I look forward to seeing it.....
what a beautiful analogy, my friend. i tend to turn to nature when i need to smack myself 'round a bit. she most always does the trick. what a cute vignette ya got there. i'm madly'n love with yer clay pot 'n those cute lil fella's 's well.
@owlwings (39362)
• Cambridge, England
The clay pot is (or was) a piece which I very much like, too. It has (or had) three beautifully sinuous handles and was clearly made by someone who loved clay and knew how to make beautiful shapes with it. Sadly, earthenware is fragile and, one night my cat coming in through the window, knocked it off the ledge and broke it. I have the pieces but it is a big task to put them together again. I shall do it eventually, however.
@owlwings 'tis jest lovely. i hear ya'n 'em bein' fragile. i've got a few broken pieces 'round here myself courtesy'f cats 'n young'uns. yer lucky such can be put back'n in time. sadly, the ones here shattered into dust.
I think that, in my case, that come when I am reading a very good book. When thought are difficult to grasp I stay there, daydreaming and thinkung about the greatnes of the mind.
@Asylum (48278)
• Manchester, England
If we reduced in size a great deal it would suddenly become a totally different planet and one filled with numerous ferocious beasts.
There are things that require big sizes...chocolate cake is one of them....the rest are a big bluff. I love your wooden men.
I am reminded of the beauty and wonder of small things when I take a photo then zoom in on some part of it - especially plants and insects.
@owlwings (39362)
• Cambridge, England
I always enjoy taking macros, too. When I was a kid, the microscope was interesting but I was much more excited with the pocket lens I had. I think that to make something larger which I could already just about see in miniature meant more than oohing and ahhing at blood cells or pollen grains.
@owlwings (39362)
• Cambridge, England
@JudyEv It does make me seriously wonder about the nature and meaning of what we call 'beauty'. I mean, if nobody is there to call somethijg 'beautiful', is it still beautiful ... and why?
@owlwings This reminds me of: If a man says something in a forest and there is no-one to hear him, is he still wrong? But it's a philosophical question I suppose? Such a waste that some of these incredible sights might rarely be seen.
I love those little figures. I keep meaning to buy one or two every time I pop into the shop, Tiger, but I always leave empty handed. I shall rectify this. :)
@owlwings (39362)
• Cambridge, England
The other evening I left them fighting and that night I had the most horrendous nightmare about being bullied. Today they are ballroom dancing.
@owlwings So your dreams tonight will be of dancing with two left feet? :)
I like your wooden figures. They remind me of Knights,
@owlwings (39362)
• Cambridge, England
I am sure that they fight when I'm asleep. I shall catch them at it one day!
@Auntylou (4318)
• Oxford, England
I look at the night sky on a clear night
@suzzy3 (8361)
Children bring me down to earth. Also watching the news with all those refugees struggling through . I realise I have nothing to complain about.
sit outside under the stars.
@Telynor (1325)
I just look at the stars. Contemplating those you know you're nothing more than a little speck on god's great big beach.
@sueznewz2 (10068)
• Alicante, Spain
I do not really think of it too often.... but sometimes it catches me off guard... like The huge world.... but how it is reduced in a way.. by the internet... as we can all talk to one another... on places like this.... or that the world is so big it takes my brother nearly 2 days to get to england from where he lives in the phillipines and hongkong....
that depends on what you like, each one of us have different interest. Others like it big, you like small, etc.
@Lucky15 (33823)
Sometimes the little things have the biggest impact ;)