Cultural changes in food.

Chile
When I was a child, there were few varieties of food served at the table. Salads were a must, but for some reason most cooked greens were overcooked. The there was the cazuela, a soup with a big chunk of meat, a potato, squatch and a piece of corn. Legumes were served at least once a week and on Friday my grandmother fried fish as she would not let the maid meddle with it. That was it. Broccoli was unheard of but we ate cauliflower. I did not taste eggplants until I was much older andthen they were placed in salt for some time. The earth has shrunk and ethnic cuisine from all the world is available at reasonable prices. In my country shushi began as a delicacy served in expensive japanese restaurants and now you can buy it at the streets when you come out of the Metro. I just read a post made by @Ladyduck about different types of salt. In my country himalayan salt is still very expensive as it is basmati rice and quinoa. But I am sure that things will change if more people are willing to try it. How is it in your country? Have you noticed changes as food goes? Changes have been quick in the last decades.
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
The variety of food has expanded vastly since I was a child, although not every aspect of it is beneficial. Whenever the visit the supermarket to purchase ready meals for simplicity there are large ranges of Indian, Thai, Italian, Chinese and several other cuisines on the shelves, yet a very limited choice of traditional British meals.
It happens here too, but with the exception of the "humitas" (a sort of chile tamale) all our traditional food has more work than sushi or chinese food to take home.
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
@marguicha It can be quite disillusioning to have your own traditional food losing popularity due to foreign influence.
@Asylum What pisses me most is the amount of people that are now becoming obese due to the foreign fast food chains
It seems there is always a new food out there that we all can try. Food choices have increased dramatically.
Food choices here are greater here too. Even chicken, when I was a child, could only be cooked for hours. Chicken were raised for the eggs and left to get their food in the soil. They ran free and had hard muscles
@amnabas (9702)
• Karachi, Pakistan
Yes with the passage of time their has been some changes and variations.
Fast food chains are all over the world.
@sishy7 (24693)
Where I am now I can basically find food from many different varieties of ethnic cuisine...
I find them here too, and every day it is easier to find them. But some are still expensive.
In my country good clean safe food is quite expensive unfortunately and hopefully this price increase will change by actually supply and demand standards being altered by people thinking how to make themselves well through good food will reign and lower prices and raise quality, again
There are some food that it seems are here to stay. Those are the genetucally altered food
@enlightenedpsych2 You are SO right! But that should be done by governments and not by the workers.
@marguicha well government may oversee but when have any of us ever heard of a govt official coming into a manufacturing plant to actually assist in food production ?
• Preston, England
changes here are huge - there were very few Indian restaurants here in the 70's and now they are everywhere which is great - the cuisine choices are huge
In my country there were hardly any chinese restaurants in the 70s and no sushi ones. Now there is one or two in every neighborhood. As for peruvian food, therehas been a big immigration of peruvians here so the amount of peruvian restaurants has grown too.
• Preston, England
@marguicha never tried Peruvian cuisine - sounds great
@arthurchappell If you like hot food and nany dishes with sea products, you will be happy.
Thank you for mentioning my name. It is true that I cannot remember we had food coming in from other countries when I was a kid. I can just remember the pineapples, that were very expensive and usually sold around Christmas. Now we almost have no more local food, everything is imported.
Food has changed everywhere and has a lot to do with people moving to other countries. I went to Buenos Aire (Argentina) 2 years ago and I ate the most awesome italian cuisine because or the massive italian immigration they recieved at the begining of the XXth century.
@marguicha I know that many Italians live in Argentina, I also had a friend who lived there, now he is back to Italy.
@LadyDuck I believe that now there is not a single argentinien who hasn´t got some italian blood in his veins. And the culture and the cuisine has been preserved until now.
Being exposed to the world - thanks to the Internet I have introduced quite a few foods. that I have found to be nutritious and palatable - peanut butter is the latest addition.
I have tried some indian dishes, but they are more difficult to cook than the ones I usually make. Maybe it is because there are some dishes I could make blindfolded
@marguicha What you say is true about our dishes. They are quite elaborate.
It's amazing how times have changed - I read the other day that Britain's favourite dish is curry, followed by Coronation chicken. They were unheard of when I was a child.
I guess it happens like that everywhere. A decade ago, there was no sushi here. Now it is a common dish and as it is unexpensive I´d say is a favorite.
Because there are so many cultures in the US it's easy to find just about any kind of food to eat.
It is true in big cities.
@scheng1 (24970)
Not all kinds of exotic food are getting cheaper. Some may get more expensive because of limited supply. I think as more people drink coffee, the price of premium coffee is going to cost more.
You may be right. I have heard that the price of chocolate will go up as it has become too popular.
well, they tend to invent new dishes as time goes by. but the traditional food in my country never changes, some just add different ingredients and varieties.
But traditional dishes go to other countries and are cooked and eaten elsewhere.
I remember in the forties.Most house wife cook string beans for ever.With most of the vegetables.Over cook blah,blah, Blood awful
One of the good new things is that we have all learned to cook veggies al dente. I steam mine and they are much better than the gray green beans I ate when I was a child.
@Marcyaz (36147)
I have noticed a lot of changes in the last decade particulary about what you eat is cetain foods is no longer good for you.
Things are grown quicker with the aid of unhealthy products
• Eugene, Oregon
Vegetables were always overcooked when I was young. People then (and maybe some still do) put a slice of bacon in green beans to "give them flavor," then boiled them unmercifully.