Do you let people use your Wi Fi?

My neighbor send her son over the other night, he had a piece of paper in hand and a pen. He came over at 10 pm, I was a little upset someone was coming over this late. He wanted to know if he could borrow the pass code to the Wi Fi. I told her we do not have Wi Fi. He needed to do his homework and needed the Wi Fi code. I asked him why he didn't stay after school to do his home work, or go to the library. I am sorry , but I am not going to have anyone come in the house to get on the computer for half the night. I am not giving out any of our Wi Fi info , that we pay for. I seen this kid outside playing for hours, he wasn't worried about homework.. I am almost sure his mom just wanted free internet. I guess I am just tired of people always wanting something for nothing. I never bother people , I do things on my own. If I can't do something , I will do without until I can afford it.
@kevin1877uk (36964)
Oh wow someone came and asked you for the codes. Some people. I'm speechless.
Nothing they ask for will surprise me, I was just curious what others had to say about this..
@kevin1877uk (36964)
@CookieMonster46 i've not known it here in the UK or even when I was living in the US.
@kevin1877uk , mostly here in the US
I understand where you are coming from. I wouldn't want people to come over just to use my wi-fi. I have a few friends that have the pass code, but they were either helping me with the computer/internet, or they used it for their phones which I don't mind since I know it costs more if you aren't using the wifi.
@CookieMonster46 Oh yes I hate moochers. Lazy people!
That is how I am with my house guests..
@DanieGirl80587 I call her the mooch , instead of by her name...
Sadly, more and more people in America want something for nothing. It really is a sad state of affaris here.
You know one day this same neighbor came over to tell me she was going swimming ,and her friend was driving her to the pool. She wanted to know if I could lend her friend a tampon. I said are you serious? there is a store down the street, she says I don't want to spend money, so she walked to the mission where they help the homeless and asked for tampons they handed her a few. I really had to shake my head over this. Somethings you just don't borrow or ask for.. you go buy your own.
@CookieMonster46 The only time I would EVER ask for that is if I was at a friend's house and not realizing it was coming, I forgot them and had to ask. Only if she was a REALLY close friend lol.
My house guests are free to use my wifi. I have yet to have a neighbor ask for it though. I had one offer to let me use it along with her netflix account. I was blessed to have my own account and it was paid.
My mom and sister in law are guests on my Netflix account. I don't generally mind, but if both of them are on and I want to use it, you can bet I'll tell 1 of them to get off.
@DanieGirl80587 I think with family yes it is different, and they will get off if you tell them.
A house guest using it in your home is one thing, and family.. a neighbor is a different story.
@Elisa1234 (7656)
I am selfish when it comes to wifi, i dont let anyone use it. BUT Some of my classmates wants to use my wifi, I couldnt say No because I am shy to them.
I don't think it is a good idea, but people do share. when you go back to school , will you still have time for my lotting.?
@Elisa1234 (7656)
@CookieMonster46 I am not sure, maybe on spare time. I will be having my practice teaching this coming August, I am not ready yet, I want to extend my vacation huhu stressful days again, and no much time to mylotting
@Elisa1234 it is too bad, you won't have much time to my lot, but you schooling comes first I understand.
@rina110383 (24070)
A neighbor did the same thing few years ago. He sent me a message in facebook asking for the password of our wifi. I replied telling him that I almost do not sleep everyday just so I could work and have something to pay for my bills, including the wifi. He should also do the same. The best assistance we could give to someone is to teach them to stand on their own feet. Nothing is free.
they have some school friends on the same block, they didn't want to just use the internet they wanted the code .. just dumb
@rina110383 (24070)
@CookieMonster46 If the intention was just to do an assignment, he could have just visited his school friends. But he wanted the code at a late hour, it was the mom who wanted free unlimited internet. You did the right thing.
@rina110383 (24070)
@kaka135 (14068)
In your case, I don't think I will let him use my wi-fi as well. I don't mind if my neighbor really wants to use the Internet to do something, they can come over for a while during day time, but definitely not that late. I have a neighbor who asked me if her daughter can use my Internet to do her homework for some time, since they do not subscribe to the Internet provider as they are living in quite a budget, I don't really mind with that. As she has been very helpful to me and not that kind of person who'd like to take advantage of others, that's why I don't mind. If someone just like to ask something for nothing, then I wouldn't be bother much too.
this is common with the schools here, most need internet to do the homework, so most will need to have it at home, or use a library.
@kaka135 (14068)
@CookieMonster46 I didn't know nowadays primary school students are already required to have computer and Internet access to do their assignments. Back in those days, we used hand to write our assignments. I still prefer my children to learn handwriting first.
@kaka135 oh yes, it is nice if they know both , but you should know handwriting, I agree
Good for you! I would do the same thing. And if it was really a huge deal why wouldnt the parent talk to you? In my book that would make a difference - the parent explaining the situation, maybe down on their luck for a month....I dont know. But I agree. You work to pay for it. Someone else using it may tie up your signal too. There shohld be plenty of free places to access it. Even a Mcdonalds usually has free Wifi! Ugh!
Problem is most nights I am up late, this night I was getting ready to lay down, no way , I am going to have anyone come in at 10 pm. to start homework. With kids and homework,schools have after school tutoring or allow them to use the computers, the library is close by , and like you say a lot of places have WiFi. His mom if you see any of my other topics on Neighbors, she is just irresponsible, and loves to borrow and get things free. She should have checked on her kids home work early in the day she is home most of the day, except for zumba classes, why wait until 10?
@CookieMonster46 that makes it all the more irritating. Definitely glad you said no. 10pm is far too late. I would say 730pm is pushing it even. Stand your ground - this lady needs to learn that is not Ok!!!
@maezee I have a relative lives on this block, I thought maybe it was her coming for some type of emergency at home.
Hi Jelly. No I would not. No one comes in my apartment ever for any reason.
we are on the same page with this one.
@CookieMonster46 Yep learned the hard way my friend.
Hi there @CookieMonster46 I agree with you on the people wanting something for nothing and NOT giving personal info for a WiFi BUT we cannot assume his 'mom' wanted free internet--- it was the kids fault and if I can I always try to help the kids if the parents FAIL to do so . . . but at 10pm, yikes !
As a parent, I always checked to see home work was done, when my daughter stayed in the after school program waiting for me to pick her up from work. They did home work, if she needed help they stayed. I thik home work is the childs responsibility and the parents to make sure it does get done.I always had my child to ask questions before she came home, yes I would still help , but she needs a clear understanding of what had to be done.. She was very responsible with school work, so it helps if your kids are on the ball.
@CookieMonster46 good to hear you were an academic supporter ! good parenting too
• Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
I personally dont unless it my guest that come over and want to get online then thats fine, but thats a no to outsiders!
same, I would never ask that of anyone..
@scheng1 (24748)
I will not give out Wifi passcode too. If they want free internet, they can go to the library or to public areas. I hate people to think that they can make use of me to get freebies.
Exactly, enough is enough
He had a lot of nerve to ask for something private like that.
I agree, but I am figuring he was sent by the parent, she has a lot of nerve
@DWDavis (13010)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
That was pretty nervy of the neighbor to send her son over to ask for your WiFi information. I'm glad you told him you don't share that sort of thing. Once they had the ability to log into your WiFi there is no telling what they might have done on line on your dime.
exactly , with them, the word No is easy for me to say, they beg too much.. This womans husband owns his own business, they should have some money.
What a cheek, especially coming that late at night.
it never fails to amaze me what people do , or what they ask of you.
@Marcyaz (35615)
Some people have such a nerve that they want something for nothing. I would have said no and that would have been it. Let her get her own or go to McDonalds and use theres.
This is how I get better at saying NO, i get a lot of practice with this neighbor.
@Marcyaz (35615)
Right and they could always go to McDonalds and use the WiFi there. How inconsiderate of his mother and wondering why she doesn't have her own WiFi. It does sound like she wanted free internet.
they did have internet, I guess they didn't pay the bill, or something, but not my problem
Something for nothing is the way of the USA these days. Sad state of affairs.
Isn't it sad, for me, the internet is not something I am going to share with a neighbor, no way.
@mammots (3271)
Like you i also dont give out my password to my wifi.
I can't believe they would even ask for it..
@dodo19 (33316)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I think you did the right thing. It's one thing to let people you trust and are close to use your internet, but it's another if you're not close to them.
I guess it is why my grandfather used to say , don't get too chummy with the neighbors..