Would you give back money that is not yours?

@waflay (2729)
Nairobi, Kenya
Just a few days ago,I received some cash in my mobile phone from a lady stranger.So I called her back and asked her if she was really sending me some cash when I desperately needed some.But she told that she had wrongly transferred the money to my number since it was meant for her child as bus fare since the school was about to go home for the mid-term holiday. Since I had no intention of taking her money in anyway,I told her to call the customer care hotline number and tell them to reverse the transaction but she declined and told me the amount that I should send to her back which I did.She replied with a a text thanking me.Would you do the same in case someone wrongly transacted money to your account?
@CoralLevang (39715)
This text message thing sending cash, I have been hearing recently that it is a scam. The fact that she wouldn't have you reverse it, but just send her the money is the first clue.
@waflay (2729)
• Nairobi, Kenya
The fact that I was wiliing to cooperate in giving her back her cash thats why she was confortable making a deal with me.There are people out there who will take advantage of the wrong number transaction and go ahead and withdraw the cash,so in such a case you have to use the hotlines given by the company to reverse the transaction.
@CoralLevang (39715)
@waflay well, it sounds like you are knowledgeable about such things, And things will work out just fine.
@acelawrites (10624)
You did a good gesture of honesty! I will do the same, specially if the recipient needs it badly.
@waflay (2729)
• Nairobi, Kenya
This is my policy here because I wouldn't be happy about anyone who would refuse to give me my cash.
@rina110383 (21957)
Absolutely. Honesty is still and will always be the best policy for me. Every single penny is a hard earned money. I make it a point not to benefit at the expense of others.
@waflay (2729)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Its good to return someone else's money because you never know may be they are in dire need of the cash.
@dazzledlady (1626)
I would because the money isnt mine. It is the right thing to do.
@waflay (2729)
• Nairobi, Kenya
There is no harm in doing the right thing.
@kataomoi (711)
• Japan
I didn't know you could transfer money via mobile phones O_O But you did a good thing. I would've done the same thing. If you hadn't done that, those kids would've had no bus fare.
@waflay (2729)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Here in my country,we have a mobile transfer money service belonging to Safaricom Company Limited and its called Mpesa.It's not good to punish anyone with their money since you never know what might happen to you tomorrow.
@miniam (9304)
• Bern, Switzerland
This is always difficult to decide what is right and what not, l found 50 euro on the ground last year, l did not give it back because l knew who ever l give it to will decide to keep it because they will not know the owner. When l found a tenner on a kiosk floor, l decided to give it to the sales lady hoping someone will come looking/asking for it.
@waflay (2729)
• Nairobi, Kenya
There are times when you can spot money on the ground when walking and this is hard to know who the owner is.I remember a time when I was walking along the street and I happened to see a coin on the ground but beckoned to a street boy nearby to come pick it up for I felt he needed it more.
Thats honest and nice for you to do. I am sure the lady really appreciated it! I would probably have to do the same if I knew where the monry came from. However, if I found a 20$ bill on the ground....thats another story entirely!! Lol
@waflay (2729)
• Nairobi, Kenya
She said it was entirely accidental transaction and so I decided to do the necessary and give it back to her.
@amnabas (9836)
• Karachi, Pakistan
Well yes I can't keep someone's money with me.
@waflay (2729)
• Nairobi, Kenya
It's not good to keep anyone's money because you never know maybe they needed it urgently.
I would return it back. It is not a good thing to keep it. At least, you know who owns the money. If you pick a wallet without any personal identification, then that is another story.
@waflay (2729)
• Nairobi, Kenya
I think knowing the owner is one thing but finding cash on the ground is something else.
I would feel terrible using anything that I bought with the money, so I couldn't keep it. I would give it back and hope the person gives me some money for being honest
• Dubai, United Arab Emirates
I would. I don't want anything belonging to me when it shouldn't. Be it money or puppies. That said, @CoralLevang makes a good point about scams.
@cherriefic (4144)
• Baguio, Philippines
Yes. We don't know how important it is to other people and it's the right thing to do.
@AkoPinay (10720)
Of course I will return it not because I am honest but I know the network can trace it. LOL I do not know in your country if it is easy to scam mobile money.
@cacay1 (32062)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Surely, I will return, pity would be the owner who might wrongly sent the money and even if found anywhere.
@kaka135 (13468)
It's really nice of you. I'd do the same too, as it's not my money, and if I am able to trace back and give it back to the person. I always wish I do not find money accidentally on the ground, as if there's no identity of the money, I do not know how I am going to return the money. I'd feel guilty if I own it. My friends suggested I can donate the money to the needs.