More About Bacon

@Raelove (17748)
Saco, Maine
OK, here we go again. A lot's been written and said about bacon, but I learned something new today about it. I was surfing among different cooking shows, and watched Bobby Flay preparing a peanut butter and--wait for it--bacon sandwich. Then, on another channel, Ming Tsai (Simply Ming) was making different versions of BLT's, and for one, he used beef bacon!!! I had never heard of it till then, so I checked it out, and sure enough, at least one company with a familiar name puts it out: Gwaltney. It's also available at Whole Foods and online. The Beef Bacon Corporation's website states that it's a healthier alternative to pork bacon, as it's less fatty. I'd be curious to try it, as it probably doesn't taste bad but more like shaved steak than pork bacon. According to that website, beef bacon is made from the meat of the short plate section of the cow, and it's marbled with fat, which makes sense from a bacon-maker's point of view. So, bacon lovers, there you have it. What do you think about bacon being made from beef? (Public Domain Image)
@Mike197602 (13955)
Bacon means pork to me I know about turkey and beef bacon but think it's maybe the cut rather than the taste that makes them call it bacon. Even between the US and the UK bacon cuts are very different.
Yes rashers are not to be found here..
@Mike197602 (13955)
@TiarasOceanView what you'd call bacon we'd call streaky bacon...there's more fat on it. Bacon here is more meaty as it's a different cut. Over there if you've got a decent butcher they could cut you "british style" bacon I expect. I do prefer it to the streaky stuff.
@Mike197602 Yes you can get the bacon that is like rashers but as long as I have been here it is only in Boston at select butchers that I know of.
I wonder what it would be seasoned with as pork has such a unique taste. I am sure it tastes good the beef bacon but for some reason I cant imagine it tasting like bacon.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
From what I've read, it's cured in brine and smoked the same way that bacon is. And because it has more fat than other leaner cuts of beef, that gives it the fatty characteristic. I am really curious about how it must taste. I'm sure it's ok. Just not the bacon we're used to!
@Raelove I wonder if it crisps up as well. I bet it is quite tasty. I would not say no to it that is for sure.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
@TiarasOceanView No, neither would I. It's that word "bacon!!!!!"
I'd have to try it before I could give a real opinion, but just from here, it's gotta be better than 'turkey bacon'.
I am not sure, at least turkey is a white meat like pork, I cannot imagine the taste of bacon made from cow meat.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
@JolietJake I agree. I don't care for turkey bacon at all. Turkey is naturally very bland, while beef has, to me, a lot more flavor. So it might make for a good bacon after all. I've never seen any TV chefs use turkey bacon, but this guy did use the beef, so...
@Raelove Why not to eat the real thing?
Different I guess for starters! I'm not sure I need to replace bacon with something else though. Maybe I'll just have both.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
Now there's a thought! Just the word "bacon" does it for me.
Bacon is bacon, and nothing compares. I have it very infrequently, and when I do, I want the real thing.
@DaintyD (1102)
My personal opinion - is that bacon is not bacon unless made from pig. That said I wouldn't be shy of trying the bacon made from beef. I'm always up for trying need food
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
Same here.
@DaintyD (1102)
@Raelove I live bacon, infact I think I'm going to get myself a bacon sarnie now. I can't imagine beef could never be as good - however it's sure worth a try.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
@DaintyD As long as it's not made of organ meat, I'm good!
@KristenH (25317)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Not for me. I prefer chicken or turkey bacon.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
I tried turkey bacon but don't care for it. I prefer pork bacon when I do eat it.
@KristenH (25317)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@Raelove That's okay. It might not be for everyone. Aim for low sodium bacon.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
@KristenH All bacon, be it chicken, turkey, pork or beef, is cured with nitrates and not just salt, like it was in the olden days. That's the subtance that isn't good for us, which is why I eat it only occasionally. I really shouldn't eat it at all, truth be known!
I don't eat bacon but real bacon comes from a pig not from a turkey or a chicken or a cow LOL!
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
That's right. But you know the food manufacturers: they'll try anything to make an extra buck. And if it means slicing and curing and smoking beef brisket, why not, if there's a demand for it? I'd try it once just out of curiosity. If it's anything like turkey bacon, then I wouldn't try it again. Can't stand the stuff.
@Raelove We live not very far a place that is very famous for their bacon and ham, Benton's Smoky Mountains Country Hams - they obviously smoke ham and bacon - and my husband the bacon lover won't go back there because when you walk in the smell can knock you over. I made him take his shirt off when he got back in the car he stunk so bad! He won't go back now - but he can get their bacon in many of the restaurants.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
@AbbyGreenhill While out on a long drive with a friend last fall, we stopped near a restaurant that had an outdoor smokehouse/grill. The smell as so intense but good. I can't imagine, though, being inside a room with that strong a smell.
@Marcyaz (35589)
I do like beef but have never had beef bacon will have to check that out.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
It's got me curious, too, @Marcyaz .
@Marcyaz (35589)
@Raelove I will have to ask the the butcher the next time I go to Worthington to buy a large grocery order. He would know about this.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
@Marcyaz Yes, I am sure he would.
I heard of this a few times. I have yet to try it out though. They don't sell it where I live.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
I see Gwaltney products at Walmart, so the next time I go, I'm going to make a point of checking to see if they have the beef version.
@Raelove I sure will check as well and buy it to try out.
I rarely eat bacon and when I do it has to be the real thing.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
I don't always have some on hand, but buy it only as an occasional treat. It has to be the real thing, though, or I won't touch it.
• Walnut Creek, California
I do like bacon, though I don't eat it that often. I'd give beef bacon a try. Why not?
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
That's the way I see it. I like beef, so I'm sure it wouldn't be all that bad. And who knows? It might even be good. But you can't know till you try!
I never knew there was such thing as beef bacon! I learned something new today too!
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
Neither did I until I saw it on the Simply Ming cooking show.
I have heard of turkey bacon, but not beef.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
I'd never heard of it either till I saw this TV chef using it. Got me curious.
Great but if the 'beef bacon' still uses nitrates and artificial means of 'smoking' the meat, it is still bad for the body . . .
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
That's right.
@PainsOnSlate (20841)
I'm not sure, I will let you know after i give it a try. I love bacon...
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
You can't know till you try it, right?
I agree with Dianne, bacon is bacon, I have tried turkey bacon and it does not taste at all like bacon, red meat cannot have the same taste.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
I don't think it would either. But it's something I wouldn't mind trying out of curiosity.
I don't like it. Yuck! I want pork! Bacon and peanut butter doesn't sound so good. I used to fix mustard and peanut butter ones. Liked it when I was young.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
Have you tried beef bacon? I'm sure it wouldn't taste bad, just different.
@lilnana1111 (2337)
Yummm...bacon! I'd be open to trying beef bacon.
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
So would I. As long as it's not liver, I'm good with it!
I've not heard of such a product. But I also don't know where a whole foods is around here let alone afford to shop at one to know. *sigh* I would wonder how it tastes? turkey bacon is ok but not as flavorful or crisp!
@Raelove (17748)
• Saco, Maine
As I stated in the post, Gwaltney makes it, and I see that brand at Walmart all the time. So I'm going to check that out.