Should I beat the dog or the owners?

(rant in progress) Okay, I talk about my boy Scar here quite a bit. Olney is one of very few towns that have a law against cats running 'at-large', so Scar always goes on a 25 foot lead when he goes out (which is quite often). My neighbors directly across the street ignore the law...I've told their cats to go home a few times, irritating, but nothing to rant about (to me). However, this morning, while Scar is out, suddenly I very clearly heard a dog barking...actually on my porch. So I went flying out the door to find the neighbor's dog there yelling at Scar. And *I* started yelling at the dog, which ran back across the road and started yelling back. (And Scar suddenly decided he was a badass since he had back-up and wanted to go after the dog ) But yeah, I am a bit mad. We do also have laws against dogs running at large...I am undecided if I want to go kick their door down and scream at them, or call the animal control office when it opens and make a complaint. Humans...the more I have to deal with them, the more I prefer my cat.
@Lucky15 (33382)
Scar is really one tough cat...if he has your back Well..sometimes it better to deal with animals than people
Sometimes dealing with Scar is like dealing with a spoiled kid
@JolietJake yes he gves y ou those kitty eyes who me what did I do? look
@Lucky15 (33382)
@JolietJake cause you spoiled that cutie furry, haha
@silvermist (20100)
@JolietJake At last !Actually,I was wondering why there were no rants from you.This is the fault of the neighbor.If we have a dog as a pet we should never let it run wild.I think you can warn them once before approaching animal control.
In my experience it is useless taking it to dog owners because they have an f you attitude. However, if you are a scary dude....... That sucks for cats not being able to roam free. The potential damage they may cause pales to what dogs inflict.
The ordinance is in effect to protect cats from hunting the albino squirrel population here
@JolietJake A cat is quick enough to nail a squirrel? I have never seen that.
@JohnRoberts Oh yes, just as they are quick enough to catch birds.
@WorDazza (10105)
• Manchester, England
Definitely the owners. Every time!! And Amen to your closing sentence!!! Although I would extend it to all animals!!
I don't even mind the skunks...as long as they are facing me
@WorDazza (10105)
• Manchester, England
@JolietJake Funnily enough, the skunks say exactly the same about you
@WorDazza I'll blow 'em away...'specially if I've been eating hard-boiled eggs
@nanette64 (17612)
• Fairfield, Texas
Oh geez, that is so dangerous (loose dog) for Scar @JolietJake . Scar would be able to run up the tree, but still. I would try a ONE-TIME talk with the neighbors and after that.....animal control.
Scar is on a lead, he can't get up a tree
@nanette64 (17612)
• Fairfield, Texas
@JolietJake Oh crap!! Kick the neighbors a........
@GrannyGee (1768)
• Louisburg, North Carolina
@JolietJake Where can he go to be safe when on a leash? I bet you keep your eye on him because you heard that dog!
@msiduri (5750)
I realize you're mad—I'd be furious—but you know how to handle this. Knock on the neighbors' door, tell them their dog was on your front porch, barking at and menacing your cat. Ask them—politely—to please keep him restrained in the future because your cat is tied up as is required by law (big hint) and can do little to protect himself.If they don't get the hint, remind them—politely—that you don't want this to become a problem, but you will protect your animal(s), up to and including Animal Control. And if they're jerks—well, what a surprise.
My only problem is doing it politely...I'm considering a note on their door
@msiduri (5750)
@JolietJake Then a note on the door. They really should know their dog is wandering around. If they know and don't care, they don't need a dog. I just hate to think the the usual solution is that the dog ends up being put down. The dog was just being a dog.
@GrannyGee (1768)
• Louisburg, North Carolina
Good advice.
@GrannyGee (1768)
• Louisburg, North Carolina
@JolietJake (3562) I am visiting because I had already decided you to be one of the ones I'll visit often. I'm also, always interested in animals, dogs in particular. Skip (my husband) and I have 2 dogs who are our world as we have no one else in this old world. So, we are dog lovers :) We have a pet door and a fenced-in yard for our dogs. We would never dream to let them run wild ... to us that would be the same as letting the babies play in the street. I can understand your upset discovering the dog on your porch ... it isn't fair when you make sure your baby doesn't run wild ... and others do. It really isn't. I felt upset for you. I hope you'll call someone first. I hope more than anything else your neighbors will just protect their dog from running wild. Sadly, that may not happen. I'm so sorry that happened to you.
I was pretty darned mad at the dog at first, now I am just pissed at my neighbors...they need to be responsible if they are going to have pets
@GrannyGee (1768)
• Louisburg, North Carolina
@JolietJake It seems they would be .... because they have a dog ... and normally dog-lovers want to protect, love their dogs like they would their children. I would be mighty upset, also. You have the right to be.
@msiduri (5750)
@GrannyGee I'm glad you care for your dogs. Few things make my heart melt faster than knowing an animal has a happy home.
toss something smelly on the dog, he can then take the smelly home! lol
Neighbor just said she'd "talk to the dog about it"
@JolietJake hahaha, yeah that works. lol. See previous mentioned smelly! She wont want him coming home smelly so maybe she will get the whole, keep him in the yard thing down
'tis the owners who're 't fault, hollerin' 't their pup does no good. perhaps ya could get'cha one'f those zappers? one's that pups can hear 'n don't seem to bother our feline friends? sure stopped that kinda nonsense 'round here - where the city folk who've moved out this way seem to think that their critters can go'n do whate'er they wish. fer myself, i've always preferred the company'f critters versus humans. they're jest more honest.
@bunnybon7 (36541)
• Holiday, Florida
me too
@mommaj (22770)
I have always liked animals over people. You are so lucky that dog didn't go after your cat and all it did was bark on your porch. Depending on how well you like your neighbors and how quickly you want the situation to escalate, I would suggest a note first and if it happens a good either a face to face or animal control. You might want to stick with animal control because they can always call the cops on you for trespassing before you even knock on their door.
I think that I'd be prone to call and lodge a formal complaint. Hopefully they will act on it since there are laws in place. Good luck with it.
@MsTickle (24962)
You'd think by now the neighbourhood animals would be intimidated by Scar.
@bunnybon7 (36541)
• Holiday, Florida
I bet if scar would have scratch that dog, he'd be more behave before he starts barking on the wrong place.
@bunnybon7 (36541)
• Holiday, Florida
i get that for sure. at least the animals are doing what comes natural and don't understand any of it. it is the owners fault. i would have a talk with the owner as you are being the responsible adult here. hopefully they will listen and you don't have to loose your cool
Never heard of a cat running after a dog. Are you sure Scar is not a mixed breed? (lol)
@UncleJoe (9966)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I would beat the owner and shoot the dog. If it still comes back, shoot it in the other leg and beat the owner again.
Our little cat used to put most dogs off our front lawn. She also tackled a racehorse goanna that thought he might have eaten her kittens. These goannas are about 4 foot but luckily he took off with Smoky after him.
We have leash laws for dogs and cats in our Chicago suburb too. I am always amazed how many humans ignore the law.
@alchemistrx (2570)
I think we dont have laws regarding neighbors cats eating at your house together with your own cats.
I do n ot blame you cats do not make excuses for bad behavior like humand do and let hteir dogs run wild I bet scar might have clawed the dog b ut again the darned dog would have hurt scar so that would not w ork.