What They Don't Understand

@DWDavis (10808)
Pikeville, North Carolina
Today's public school parents, students, board members, and administrators all seem to have forgotten who public schools are for. Most parents and students, and too many board members and administrators, seem to think public schools exist to serve the whims of the parents and the fragile egos of the students. Parents, if you want a school that is operated just the way you desire, open your own, or home school. Students, paying attention, doing your work, trying your best, and earning your grades will do more for your supposedly fragile egos than all the phony awards and undeserved accolades ever could. Public schools are funded with public money and exist to serve the PUBLIC interest, not the desires of the parents or to fill some kind of psycho-emotional need of the students. The PUBLIC invests in education with the expectation the educational system will produce young adults capable of reading, writing, and doing math with a competence that will make them productive citizens. John Green put it better than I have. Give him a listen.
Learn with Crash Course: http://www.youtube.com/crashcourse And SciShow: http://www.youtube.com/scishow In which John Green gives advice to students returnin...
I am glad my parents sent me to school with the attitude that I had to measure up to what was asked of me. It has served me well all my life.
@DWDavis (10808)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I wish more parents had the attitude your parents had. Too many parents these days don't value education and the media these kids watch and listen to are often negative about school.
@DWDavis Very true. I raised my kids the same way and I found myself arguing with many parents who thought schools should cater to their children. That is back in the 80s and 90s. Annoying.
@DWDavis (10808)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@paigea It's gotten worse since then. I started teaching 14 years ago and have watched parents' influence destroy any hope of real standards being adhered to.
@DeborahDiane (18032)
• Laguna Woods, California
I agree completely. When I worked in the public high schools, we would occasionally get a student who had been home schooled. While academically they were usually at grade level, they often had trouble sitting for an hour, constantly asked to get a drink of water or go to the bathroom, didn't want to do what the rest of the class was doing, etc. Since many of them were 16 to 17, I often wondered how they would ever be able to work at a job.
• Eugene, Oregon
I never thought of those problems for home schooled kids.
@DWDavis (10808)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Home schooled children I've taught who transitioned successfully to public school were few. Around here most home schooled kids are being home schooled for religious reasons or, sadly, to keep the kids away from certain demographic groups. While they are sometimes at grade level or better, we do get those who are very behind because the person homeschooling them was ill prepared to do so.
• Laguna Woods, California
@DWDavis - I agree completely ... especially when it comes to math and science.
Whew! This retired teacher just breathed a sigh of relief because I do not have to teach any longer. I shiver at the thought when I drive by a school. You will love being retired my friend!
@DWDavis (10808)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I've still got 8 years to go unless Hollywood calls with an offer for a movie deal on one of my books.
• Eugene, Oregon
@DWDavis Let's hope that happens soon!
Attitudes have changed so much - and not for the better. I wouldn't be a teacher for quids nowadays. I think it would be a minefield.
@DWDavis (10808)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
There are a lot of reasons not to go into teaching these days but every day I have 81 reasons to show up for work. It is for the kids that I don't chuck it and go back to accounting.
Education used to be viewed as a privilege and treated with respect. Now it's just seen as a punishment. Or so some students would have us believe anyway.
• Pensacola, Florida
Love JG, in my top two of young adult writers. His vlogs are great. I got to meet him a few times.
@DWDavis (10808)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I would like to meet him. His Crash Course History videos helped me get a 200 our of 200 on my Social Studies Praxis. I've enjoyed several of his books, too.
• Pensacola, Florida
@DWDavis Do you watch vlogbrothers? They do the mental floss stuff too. What's your favorite book by him?
@DWDavis (10808)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@lexiconlover I really liked LOOKING FOR ALASKA. Though I predicted the end early on I thought it was well written and the characters were easy to get invested in.
• Preston, England
schools in general exist primarily to fuel the employment market by getting kids ready for the outside world - learning for learning's sake is not something most educational establishments care for
@DWDavis (10808)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Absolutely, learning for learnings sake is not the function of taxpayer funded education. Learning for learning sake is something people should to on their own time and on their own dime.
@PainsOnSlate (19809)
I'm glad I went to school back when it was there to teach children. Before my mother retired from teaching things had changed so much she was ready to retire. The parents were worse every year.
@DWDavis (10808)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Here in the US/Canada we have lost site of what schools are for and we've let parents have too much say in what goes on in the schools, resulting in the dumbing down of the curriculum and the inability to maintain order in the classroom.
@kaka135 (13787)
Thanks for sharing this. I agree that public schools are to provide education to the public, but not a few particular parents or students on their different interests. I do agree that if we do not like the public school system, we can always find the alternative ways, but not force the teachers or school to change to accommodate their special needs. It's really not easy to be a public school teacher nowadays. I guess many parents and students do not respect the teachers and school as we did in those old days.
@cindiowens (3895)
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Thank you! I couldn't have said it better.
I don't know how you do it. Great dedication. I would not have the patience to deal with students and their parents then the administration.
My sons experience in public school was a good one.