We are all Storytellers in the End

By Glen
@glenniah (1201)
Mandurah, Australia
I awoke two hours earlier on the day of the storytelling event. After breakfast my thoughts turned to what I would wear. I pondered on what Storytellers might be dressed in. Would they be flamboyant, not that I had much that could be called flamboyant or did they dress as hippies. Unless of course you were a pirate and could dress up in pirate gear. Finally I dressed in something in between, colourful and comfortable. I met my friend at the Train Station and off we went to our destination. We strolled down Olive Tree Lane and turned into a Courtyard where there was a lovely house hidden away from the rest of the street. There was a Storyteller from the Eastern States and she had been invited to tell us about some of her work. For two hours we sat in this idyllic place as she regaled us with stories. She works for a History Museum and as well as presenting historical facts she weaves them into a story. Quite dramatically it would seem. She finished with an engrossing story about a ship and a piece of Australian history from two centuries ago. Most of us had heard of this ship but certainly not aware of the full story about, Murderers, Marauders and thieves. When the storyteller had finished inspiring us we were all given roles to act the story out. I was in my element. It was a perfect day and I’m looking forward to more like this and maybe even finding an environment to tell stories in. At the end of the afternoon I realized we are all storytellers in the end.
I'm glad you got this posted in the end. It sounds like you had a great time. I don't think I could tell a story orally.
@glenniah (1201)
• Mandurah, Australia
@jaboUK OH Janet I can just imagine you reading your poetry to a listening audience. You would do well
@glenniah Perhaps I could do that as i could put the emphasis where it's meant to be, but I prefer the written word.
@glenniah (1201)
• Mandurah, Australia
@jaboUK we all have different skills and such I enjoy both. I can remember making up stories when I was about 8 or so. My friends and I would act them out. Guess who got the best roles
@Bluedoll (17039)
I liked reading that so much and would like to hear more about these storying telling events. I've never been to one but now I think I would like to. Perhaps they were long white robes or perhaps they just where their cloths. I hope they wear a smile.
@glenniah (1201)
• Mandurah, Australia
@Bluedoll They all dress pretty ordinarily. And wear huge smiles because they are entertainers, hehe. We have a Story Teller Guild over here and I'm sure you would find something like that in Canada.
@Bluedoll (17039)
@glenniah I'm sure too if I were to look for it. I might like to find a less professional one and get involved though it would be challenge I'm sure. Still what a nice passtime.
@garymarsh6 (14732)
Absolutely. I am sure you have a wealth of stories to share with others!
@glenniah (1201)
• Mandurah, Australia
@garymarsh Thank you Gary, I am inclined to have the 'gift of the gab', must be my Irish Great Grandmother, hehe
I love to listen to storytellers, I am not good in talking to a public.
@glenniah (1201)
• Mandurah, Australia
@LadyDuck Sometimes I find it easier when doing plays because I am not acting myself. If I do Public Speaking then I get a bit nervous
• Greece
If I had a story I think I could tell it, my problem is that I haven't got one. No characters buzzing around looking for a story in my head. But I'm glad that you have discovered the pleasure and shared it here.
@glenniah (1201)
• Mandurah, Australia
@41CombedaleRoad Hi. Thank you for your comment. Some situations just lend themselves to a story and it doesn't always have to be a personal story, it can be about anything.
That sounds a really fascinating day. Glad you enjoyed it so much.
@glenniah (1201)
• Mandurah, Australia
@JudyEv Thank you Judy
@skysnap (18209)
Each one of us with diferent story. problems and happiness. it si fun either way.
@glenniah (1201)
• Mandurah, Australia
@skysnap Hi.yes that is true. I was thinking about all the different cultures where history has been passed Dow orally
True. Only a few have the courage to tell their story though.
@glenniah (1201)
• Mandurah, Australia
@Cintronwriter Yes that is true
@sueznewz2 (10156)
• Alicante, Spain
that sounds like a good day.... I'm glad it turned out how you were hoping.... and that you are going to carry on.... I do not think I could stand in front of people and tell a story....
@AnneEJ (4978)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
Sounds like you had a very interesting day