Etegomi - Have You Tried It?

It's a free style type of painting. "Being clumsy is OK" is the rule. You work quickly with paints, never drawing or sketching anything ahead, you just dive in and paint. Mistakes are fine, even celebrated. You choose a simple subject such as a bird, as I did. You paint it quickly, add a phrase that is uplifting and sign it with your name seal which is called a chop. A vermilion square with your name or initials. The finished painting which is usually a postcard size is given to someone to cheer them. The goal is doing one per day so you can cheer a lot of people in a week! I had to look it up after I signed up for the class, there are many rules and procedures. But I couldn't wait to get started so I looked up the style of painting and did two yesterday. Since I was not properly instructed they may not actually cheer anyone but I have designated places to send them anyway!
That sounds like so much fun. Celebrating mistakes is a foreign thing to most of us, but how freeing that would be!
Yes,it forgives all. Most of us are very critical of our work and hide it. This offers the freedom to let others enjoy it.
• Marion, Kansas
Now you have me curious. I notice that you have written in "characters" rather than the letters I am used to.It is bright and cheery.
I wanted it to be with Japanese characters for the person I was sending it to. I don't know Japanese so I copied them. There is an art to the making of them and that is what I will learn in the class I signed up for. I probably went about it all wrong by copying but...there I was clumsy! So all it well.
Its quite pretty, I would imagine that small art pieces like this would be nice in small spaces such as bathrooms. I don't have any artistic ability, so I wouldn't attempt this, but you did a fine job.
Thank you. This is really very basic and simple and anyone could do it. They encourage clumsy! So no matter how the drawing came out, the colors and the message is the feature. I think you would surprise yourself.
I haven't tried it. Since I don't have the gift. But I appreciate arts done by artists.
The plan encourages everyone, gifted or not to paint simple things like fruit or shapes of surrounding objects and as I said, and write an inspiring message in Japanese or English. You can do this with a simple box of watercolors and a black pen. But only if you wish to do it. Just don't let perceived lack of talent discourage you.
@PainsOnSlate (19620)
Very pretty, is it always done on paper? Do you use watercolors? It sounds like fun with a lot of history behind it.I like the ideas of it being small and given away... I too paint but i use acrylics and paint on slate.
I used watercolor but you can use anything you like. The idea is to do it without preparation, no drawing ahead of time, you just paint from the heart and then give it away, warts and all. No fixing or redo's.
@Jeanniemaries very interesting. I never sketch first but I see my painted slate..
@PainsOnSlate So you actually paint right from the heart!
Did you make the pain in the picture? I like it, it's very nice.
Yes, I painted the one in the photo. It's a copy of one I saw, but this is my interpretation.
@Jeanniemaries You are very talented, I like the colors and your personal interpretation of this small piece of art.
@LadyDuck Thanks! It was fun to do. I can't wait to paint something today.
I might even enjoy this if it has the word 'clumsy' in it. :) Have you been to a class yet? I hope you enjoy it.
The class is on the 23rd which is why I couldn't wait and just started painting on my own. I love my local library! I can attend several classes every week. They are very socially active. I'm really looking forward to it. Yesterday I painted a Flamingo.
@Jeanniemaries I 'couldn't wait' to start brick-laying classes but my back ached so badly after a while that it spoilt it for me. Another example of 'be careful what you wish for'. But I didn't mean to be negative about your painting. You'll have a blast I'm sure.
so i reckon i can look ferward to one'f these'n the mail soon, hon? i'd be delighted to be the recipient'f such. jest love this! hmm, if'n bein' clumsy's alright 'n mistakes celebrated i might ought to look further into this. both're e'ery day occurrences fer me :D
If you send me you address via messages, I'll send you something. :-) I've exchanged postcards with others on here.
@Jeanniemaries i might jest surely do that, ms. jean marie! what a treat that'd be :D 'course, then i'd need to take up paintin'... lol
its lovely you really d o have talent wow
Thanks Patsie. Are you going to give it a try?
I never heard of it, but I absolutely love it and the philosophy behind it. Too pretty!!!!
It's the philosophy behind it that is so neat. It suckered me in!
@PatZAnthony (11891)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It is fun and from one artist to another, you have a good eye for color and a natural talent when it comes to paining.
Thanks Pat, it was fun to do.
@JESSY3236 (5234)
That's a beautiful painting.
Thank you! I like that the concept of of applies to all.
@MsTickle (25007)
I love the colours! I was strongly attracted to this in the "you might also like" column. I had never heard it called this.
I like the image that you have displayed.
@kaka135 (13567)
That's interesting! I have not heard about Etegomi yet, I'd like to find out more about it. I am not artistic and not good at drawing or painting at all, but sometimes I'd just like to draw whatever I like freely. I like the rule "being clumsy is ok", it fits me so well! Lately I encourage my children to make a drawing in the morning, just draw whatever they want. I do it together with them as well. I just use the block crayons to simply draw, and sometimes I'd write down what's in my mind. I feel good for doing that. Did you draw the name seal, or do you have a name seal chop for your name? As a Chinese, I am happy to see the Chinese words you wrote in your painting, or are they Japanese? You wrote them pretty good.
i do not have a chop yet, but I plan to make one. Hopefully in the class I will take next week. Right now I am painting my initials in black but I hadn't done it when I took that picture. You are perfect for this! You are already practicing Etegomi with your children! They are Japanese I believe and I don't know what they mean because I copied them. I was a little worried as I didn't copy them exact and I hope they are kind words.
@kaka135 (13567)
@Jeanniemaries I always like the chops with my name on it. The two Japanese characters you wrote are similar to Chinese characters, in Chinese, it mean "fire bird". So, I suppose they are kind words. If I am not mistaken, phoenix is said to be fire bird.
@kaka135 I was guessing Japanese, but it looks like it's Chinese. I'm very happy you could translate for me. I would love to see my name in Chinese! I will tell my sister who will be receiving this card what the letters say. Do you paint?
I have absolutely no talent in drawing. You did pretty good.
Now that I have learned a bit more, I would paint this differently. Etegami is to celebrate how you paint not how good you are. Grab a box of kids watercolors and play around a bit. You will be surprised. Look up Etegami on YouTube and see how it's from your heart.
• Portland, Connecticut
I love it, it is beautiful and it sounds like fun. I have absolutely no talent when it comes to drawing.
Thanks! It is fun. You would probably be surprised at what you could do.
That looks like fun. That bird is great. It's a Phoenix right? I couldn't do that. I can't draw, maybe animals, but nothing else and I need a picture to guide me where animals are concerned. Forget people or anything else. That picture will put a smile on the person's face who receives it. I guarantee it. It did mine
Thanks Valerie! I gave a flamingo away today to my sister and she had a nice smile. The goal is to give one away every day, but I doubt I will be able to do that. I'm awfully busy with so many other things.
That is very good. But I don't have any artistic ability at all so that wouldn't work for me.
I am not one that enjoys creating art in that form. I fear what the picture will look like. Other people in my family are gifted artists. I am not one of them.