Finally – I'm Rid of My Old PCP

@freak369 (4724)
After one last huge blowout on the phone and another in the office I am done with my PCP. I had sent in paperwork to have him sign off on it so that I could get reimbursed for medical supplies that I had to pay for. One of his assistants called me and said I hadn't been seen in over a year and that I wasn't considered a priority patient because I had cancelled four appointments. The only reason I cancelled them was the weather and that I didn't have a right prosthetic leg so anything that I did had to be in a wheelchair. Obviously that tidbit keeps falling out of plain sight for them when they are busy throwing attitude at people. I got home and I was in tears; she wouldn't give me back the forms that needed to be submitted on Monday and the earliest she could get an appointment for me as in April. That was the final straw; I called my insurance company and told them I wanted a new PCP and whatever needed to be said or done to get that accomplished would have to happen because the stress was killing me. When I get stressed my blood sugar goes up, when it goes up I need to take more insulin. When I take more insulin I start to gain weight from it. It is truly a horrible vicious circle to get stuck in. Even though I have to wait a couple of weeks for an appointment I am still on track for surgery tomorrow. With any luck I will be able to start right back on physical therapy rehabilitation to get my right leg caught up with the rest of my body. Any hope I had of starting the Appalachian Trail thru-hike in April is out the window but at I am hopeful that I will be able to do a section hike for half of it in 2016 and finish it in 2017. Have you ever had a doctor from hell? How do you handle physicians with a God complex? What's an acceptable amount of wait time for an appointment?
This is nothing compared to your situation, but the only thing I can think of is when they switched my girlfriend's doctor last year. She had to raise hell to get them to switch her back.
@freak369 (4724)
I am usually pretty cool with what my insurance company deems as acceptable but for them to take THIS long to allow me to switch to another PCP was just ludicrous
This sounds a horrible place to be in. I hope you get some satisfaction soon. It is ridiculous to have to wait till April for an appointment.
@freak369 (4724)
I am glad that I have enough insulin stockpiled that it won't be an issue but my pain meds aren't even touching what I am experiencing at the moment. I did get some extras after my surgery yesterday but only a ten day supply of Norco
@Marcyaz (36111)
I normally am seen in a very short time but yes I have in the past had some doctors that thought they were God. I never went back to see them. I think for a new patient 2 weeks is tops for seeing them.
@freak369 (4724)
I got snarky and started sending them bills for the amount of time I had to sit in the waiting room and then in the 'other' waiting room .. some of them were pretty offended. Oh well