Early morning visitors...

By JJ
So Scar did his pre-3 AM ritual DAD!!! I WANNA GO OUT!!! this morning. I tried going back to sleep, but nope...wasn't happening. So I got up, let him out on the lead, made some coughee and came here to myLot per usual. Now, I go look out the front door at Scar every 5-10 minutes, because there's a clean out pipe for the sewer main that sticks up about 8 inches, and he has a habit of getting his lead around it and doesn't have the sense to just walk the other way, he thinks he's trapped so he sits down and waits for me to come out and 'release' him. This morning, I look and yep...he's done it again. So I went out to get him loose, and notice he's staring really hard at something in the yard. So I turn my head to look...there's Mr Rabbit watching me, still as a stone. I'm wishing I had the camera, but I know this rabbit...as soon as I get up to go get it, he'll be gone. Then I hear this noise...I turn my head the other direction, and there's Mr Raccoon getting some breakfast. It's like The Jungle Book out there this morning! So I went and got the camera, because Mr Raccoon isn't too bothered by me, and sure enough, he hung out and waited for me to get my camera and struck a pose for us. Getting quite the menagerie around here lately...I guess the skunks must have already gone to bed since I didn't see any of them...
@Mike197602 (13363)
• Worcester, England
Lucky he lives in your area...some southern murricans would eat him
Despite what you might think, raccoon tastes pretty good when cleaned and cooked properly. Like dark-meat chicken or turkey, though it is greasier and more tender than either.
I'm still kind of surprised I haven't seen a possum for years here at the house...
@Mike197602 (13363)
• Worcester, England
@JolietJake probably some southerners have eaten them all They seem to eat nasty stuff down there
@Mike197602 I bet they'd get rid of the crawdads in the flower bed for me.
Looks like Mr. Racoon is saying "excuse me sir, do you mind? I'm eating!"
He was still out there 15 minutes later just taking his sweet time. Often they'll grab the entire ear and take off with it.
@JolietJake Maybe he wanted to make friends with Scar?? DOesn't seem as if either was too bothered with the other.
@ScribbledAdNauseum He and the raccoon seem to have an understanding, they say hi and then go about their business without bothering each other.
@jolietjake I love this story! Luckily the raccoons left out house . There was a raccoon and opossum living under ourt deck two or three yearo.They scared out our friend Gary Groundhog that was like out pet! It does sound The JUngle Book Is the Jungle Book written by Rudyard Kipling or is it Upton Sinclair? Thank you for making my day
Kipling. An old favorite from my youth.
@JolietJake Thanks! I just Uprton Sinclair's book was about bad working conditions of some people who came from other countries! I am so embarased
@OKennedy (1145)
There is never something you need when you want it and when you aren't needing it anymore and you have stopped looking that is hen you often find it. When I want to capture something that will inspire me or something similar I have the camera ready and nothing happens then when I am not trying and no camera something happens its always the way it happens.
It's good that Scar points out the wildlife for you. What does he think about skunks?
I don't believe he's seen them yet...probably a good thing, because they are curious by nature, and so is he...could be a bad ending.
@JolietJake one smelly kitteh
@JolietJake Luciily we don't have skunks around my house .But we don't 't have to worry about putting a pet outside it's just my hamster now! we had a Chihuahua but a vulture took him and I never saw her again.
Are you @PhredWreck ? Just the mention of the cat Scar, reminded me of him , since i haven't seen him around now .
I've been known by many names over the years, that was my last account, yes.
@Mike197602 (13363)
• Worcester, England
@JolietJake "Many are my names in many countries, Mithrandir among the elves, Tharkûn among the dwarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the west that is forgotten, in the south Incánus, in the north Gandalf;"
@Mike197602 I almost used Gandalf once
@PainsOnSlate (20091)
Thank goodness you can smell the skunks.. I love my zoo but haven't seen a rabbit yet this year.
I'm waiting on the chipmunks, they should be showing up soon...real skittish though, hard to get a good photo of them.
@JolietJake I've got them too, but haven't seen them yet, the snow just melted so maybe soon.
@PainsOnSlate Scar and I saw one of the chipmunks this afternoon
@millie02 (6908)
Sounds like it was a busy morning in your garden. All we ever get in ours is the neighbours cats.
We get a small variety of critters showing up off and on
• Santa Rita, Venezuela
I've only seen raccoons on television or in a movie, really dangerous raccoons are the guests? They are making these animals? They care or are dangerous? I would like to know in my country do not exist, I'm Venezuelan.
They're not really dangerous, but they can be mean and inflict a nasty bite if they feel threatened
Raccoon with their beety eyes. We have families of them wandering around our neighborhoods at night. Some of them are as big as a turkey,,,,,,oh we even had a couple of those in our yard a couple of weeks ago.
You definitely have a nice place out there. I hope the skunks never met your cat or scar might endure some really nice bath I hope you get a chance to picture that rabbit because I like to see it too. I wonder why he would leave, is the rabbit too shy for camera?
Rabbit ain't real fond of people, I've got a few pictures of him from inside the house through the window.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think it's best that the skunks had already gone to bed. Our Mr. Raccoons aren't very concerned with people either. How did one breed get so bold?
Not sure, but I've noticed quite often that most times, if they bother to leave, they just amble off...you have to really freak one out for them to take off running
@JESSY3236 (6095)
My mother used to say I live in a jungle because of all the birds tweeting.
We've put feed out daily for years, so we have a lot of birds and squirrels raising a racket out front during the day, and then the late night/early morning crew like this guy finishing off the leftovers.
@Morleyhunt (19539)
Considering the size of corncob that raccoon is feasting on, my guess is you will have many more night visitors. My husband saw an opossum in the back yard earlier this week.
Usually the squirrels pretty much finish them off before nightfall, but they left quite a bit this time, and then there is quite a bit of feed scattered at the base of the tree as well. The raccoon isn't bothered by much, he and Scar hang out there together most mornings just saying "Hey, wassup dude?"
@Sreekala (22199)
It is lovely to hear that you have so many visitors (not harmful) in morning. Unfortunately we do not live in such an environment at present. We have cats and monkeys, monkeys do much menace on the terrace of every one's home, like throwing away the cover of water tanks. Since so many water tanks are available they are quite busy in each morning. Cats also came to see inside with the intention of stealing some food.
@Lucky15 (33427)
Good morning mr raccoon. He is really into camera
I stopped about 6-7 feet from him and held the camera out, if I get much closer, he decides to leave.
@Hanyouyomi (1936)
• Dallas, Texas
Maybe I should take the time to observe the raccoons in my neighborhood. I don't do it, because I think they'll bite me and I don't want rabies. But they usually go through the neighborhood trash cans. The raccoons at my old neighborhood though would eat the catfood neighbors would leave for the stray cats... Not too sure if they should have been doing that either...
looks j ust like the raccoon is posing for his picture Lookee Ive g ot corn. lol
Cute racoon! I'm glad the animals trust you and like you.
NIbbler does that too, apparently he simply cannot walk the other direction