This User Has No Bio!!

Marion, Kansas
I can hear someone (Alex?) shouting this warning with great alarm. I read it actually as I checked on my latest followers. Does it matter? Yes, for some it genuinely does matter. If you do not have a bio this tells people that 1. You do not care. 2. You might be a scammer 3.Your English is not good enough to write a bio 4. You do not want to be a connection, you only want to earn money. 5. You are in too much of a hurry to write one or to read the guidelines and rules. You just want to get in and post, post, post. So, write a little biography of yourself. It can be to your advantage. 1. People look to see what you might have in common. 2. Possible connections look to see how you are different from them and interesting. 3. If you are a scammer you at least can keep track of what lies you are telling. 4.It is good English practice. 5. You look like you honestly intend to be a member of the site and not just a poster. This User Does Have a Bio!! Welcome to MyLot.
I wish they had just a bit more than 160 characters available for it
I am fully with you on this.
@GardenGerty Look at this bio...it's even worse than not having one
@JolietJake Give her a break ... maybe her cat walked all over her keyboard while she was typing.
@vandana7 (62448)
I don't have a bio there. I care but I don't know what to write...without sounding odd.
At least you have finally changed out of that horrid green and white chalk outline avatar.
@vandana7 (62448)
@purplealabaster ..I had that little angel for a while too...my friend's daughter. Then I removed it because I came to know horrible things.
@vandana7 I actually thought that was a picture of you when you were little. I am sorry that you learned horrible things so much so that you can no longer use that picture. That is sad.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
We have all seen this many times. The other favourite is for someone to follow you, but have no activity.
This happens every day Barry, I had 3 followers yesterday, with no bio, no activity and no discussions. I wonder why they take the time to follow people... may be to plagiarize their posts on another site.
@LadyDuck @Asylum I wonder the same exact thing when I see users like that. I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, though, and hope that they are just reading and trying to get a feel for the place before they jump in and start typing.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
@purplealabaster @LadyDuck This may very well be a matter of finding their way around the site prior to becoming active. When I first joined Mylot I spent at least 2 weeks browsing around and reading discussions before I submitted my own. Of course I did comment on several posts during this time, as opposed to absolutely no activity as displayed on some profiles.
@Mike197602 (13363)
• Worcester, England
what do you mean by a bio???
• Marion, Kansas
Biography on your profile. No information like where you live or what your interests are. As I scroll through my connections it looks like someone is very alarmed by this.
@Mike197602 (13363)
• Worcester, England
@GardenGerty I haven't got one, it just says my username and from UK. I don't ever look at profiles as it's a waste of time so whatever is on them is irrelevant. I take people as I find them on discussions and that works fine for me.
@Mike197602 If you don't look at profiles, then how can you do your job and properly stalk me?
Excellent points, you made perfect sense to the probable reasons for members to avoid writing/ posting a bio on their page. I always want people to know what I do, why I do it, and if accreditation for it is known, I am better qualified in that particular area offering connected or otherwise, readers here-- peace of mind . . .
• Marion, Kansas
I am amused at how urgent the comment seems as I go through to check my followers and follow them back. Yes, I do like to know about the expertise of others.
I guess I have a short bio..that is all lolz
• Marion, Kansas
I went to look at it. It tells me enough.
@scheng1 (24812)
I find a bio is not necessary. We can roughly know about a person when we read his or her discussions. Some people literally share their lives here, and we get to know them better than their family.
• Marion, Kansas
And if they never post but only interact that also tells us something. I do not judge on this. I thought it was funny how the website made it sound very urgent.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
The first thing I did after reading your post was go to my profile page and check my own bio. It is still there. Short and succinct, but tells people who I am and what I do. You are correct. I tend to not follow users who don't have a bio posted when I check their profile page, unless they've been on the site a while and have lots of activity in discussions and responses.
• Marion, Kansas
Oh, I follow all who follow me, knowing I can weed them out later if I need to.
@pgiblett (6603)
Having no Bio is acceptable when a user is new, but if they have been on the site for more than a month they should have one.
• Marion, Kansas
That might be a good guideline. I think we leave footprints for people to learn about us if we are at all active.
@pgiblett (6603)
@GardenGerty You caused me to go and check/update my profile. I normally check it every few months.
• Marion, Kansas
@pgiblett I really need to freshen things up a bit.I tend to let it just sit there.
I do mostly agree. I like to know where people are from too. Not just the United States. Their age is a nice fact too. And what their interests are.
• Marion, Kansas
Yes, they do not have to write a book to give that little bit
@GardenGerty .....No, just the facts mam.
Yes, having a bio is very important, if you don't have one, people will assume you are lazy and, don't care.
• Marion, Kansas
Or perhaps that you got in a hurry to sign up and post.
@GardenGerty Yes, that could also be true.
hmm, we should prob update those things now and then too
• Marion, Kansas
It would not hurt. In Ancient myLot we could play around with the formatting and color and details a lot.
did you change your image and name? Almost didnt recognize you!
Yes you do, and so do I. I have seen some without bios and I wonder about who they are.
• Marion, Kansas
If they are active we get acquainted. Having a place for a bio makes it neat and easy to find out though.
@GardenGerty Wow, you changed your name. I thought it was someone new I always read the bio to see if we do have something in common, even before I read one of their posts.
@Marcyaz (35751)
Welcome really, I am not sure what to say except it would be nice to see a little bit about someone.
• Marion, Kansas
I like to know age range and country. I like a quote or something to give some insight.
@Marcyaz (35751)
@GardenGerty I just like a little information about the same as you.
@rosekiss (30284)
• Eugene, Oregon
I finally put my bio up too, as I didn't haved one, but like JJ said, that we don't have enough charactes to write a decent bio. I wanted to put more than I did, but I just could't. I had to decide what to put and what not to put. I am hoping that they will change that, so that we can all put more into our bios
• Marion, Kansas
If we truly interact we begin to know about one another. I could list several things about you, including that you enjoy crocheting.
@rosekiss (30284)
• Eugene, Oregon
@GardenGerty I certainly do. I will crochet mostly when I am watching Netflix, or I take a break from in here. I can do oither crafts too, but I like crocheting the best, as I have done more of it.
yes those are all really good points and it also gives everyone a picture of you what like and dislike how friendly etc cetra. I made mine when i first came I have friends from all over the world and some from myhome state S Dak
• Marion, Kansas
It helps us get acquainted. I think mine is what is left from Ancient myLot.
@GardenGerty ,mine is too but I put in an e xtra sentenc e abou t our tgreat hones admins here
If I hadn't been here from the old myLot, then I wouldn't have a bio, either. It is not that I don't care (well, maybe that is part of it) but more that I am too lazy to do it.
• Marion, Kansas
I think mine is leftover. I do not remember writing one.
@GardenGerty Oh my goodness, GG, you changed your name and your avatar, and I did not recognize you at first!
I think that it should be a good idea to oblige people to write a bio when they join a site, a short intro where you have to fill in your data, email, city, country and a short bio. At least we get rid of all those who join only to copy the discussions of others to use on other sites.
• Marion, Kansas
That would be a good preventative measure.
@GardenGerty I think that a sort of short test to join would prevent the problem of part of the scammers.
@sjvg1976 (18034)
I haven't checked mine let me check. BTW what's the use I don't check profiles of my followers
• Marion, Kansas
I get curious mostly about where people are from and about how old they are.
@sjvg1976 (18034)
@GardenGerty I don't because I know many people who lie on internet and hide their actual identification.
@KristenH (23308)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Good call Gerty. That user is to me.
• Marion, Kansas
Evidently they raise some kind of red flag with the website.
@KristenH (23308)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@GardenGerty Let's hope. Heather. Nice new avatar!