Eddie - my new furry friend whom I'll probably never meet

@boiboing (12207)
Northampton, England
Today I received the information on my sponsored dog. His name is Eddie and he's a beautiful little black labrador puppy who is in training to become a guide dog for a blind person. I signed up as a sponsor at the airport a few weeks back. My flight was delayed, the fund-raiser was very charming and Eddie's photo was absolutely irresistible. He's about 3 months old now and will go through approximately 2 years of training before he gets a full-time human. Not all guide dog trainees will make it. Some will just not be stable enough and may go off to become therapy dogs for people with problems other than blindness. I hope Eddie makes it - though whoever he helps will be very happy to get him. My part is tiny - probably no more than a paw or half a tail - as training a guide dog is a very expensive process. By each dog getting multiple sponsors, the costs are spread and the great work of the Guide Dogs for the Blind organisation gets much greater awareness. Now I have to work out how to break the news to my three cats that mum and dad are spending good cat food money on a doggy.
For the same amount of money, you could have sponsored me...and I'd even have written you updates on how I am doing. Of course, you get those for free reading myLot anyway, so the dog was probably the better idea.
@louievill (18113)
And scar comes as an added bonus
@boiboing (12207)
• Northampton, England
@JolietJake I'm not sure how good you'd be at leading a blind person around and looking after them. Or how good Scar would be.
@boiboing Scar might be okay, but if he saw a bird or a squirrel, all bets are off...
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
I hope the kitties take it well
A friend of ours have been doing this for years.Doing a great job,
@boiboing (12207)
• Northampton, England
Yes, I'm not sure why it took me quite so long.
@xFiacre (4242)
@boiboing I'm left wondering of your plane delay was engineered by Guide Dogs for the Blind. Cynical me. Sorry.
@boiboing (12207)
• Northampton, England
Perhaps the pilot's dog held him up.
@louievill (18113)
sometimes small things we do go a very long way
I know that your cats can understand that it was for a good cause and, most important, the dog did not come to your home.
@boiboing (12207)
• Northampton, England
Absolutely. We have an occasional doggy visitor. He's part Great Dane but he knows not to mess with my kitties.
@boiboing The Great Dane are sweet dogs, I am sure he will not mess with the kitties.
@Platespinner (16533)
I'm fostering a bunny rabbit, not nearly as altruistic as sponsoring a potential future guide dog.
@boiboing (12207)
• Northampton, England
I'm sure your bunny doesn't mind.
@boiboing bunny isn't sure what to do with people who actually pay attention to him. The poor little guy s a bit overwhelmed.
oh bring that news with fish, it will go over easier, lol
@boiboing (12207)
• Northampton, England
I think you've just prompted my next post.
@boiboing I shall have to watch for it
What a wonderful thing you have done. I'm sure, with your love for animals, that you won't starve your three kitties.
@boiboing (12207)
• Northampton, England
My husband and I would go hungry before the cats.
@boiboing I would, too.
Maybe, if on the off chance that he doesn't make it, you could adopt him. Hope he does well. This sounds like a great program.
@boiboing (12207)
• Northampton, England
There is enormous demand for the doggies that don't make the grade. Many go to do other 'assistance' jobs and few go to regular homes.
I used to live near a training centre for the Guide Dogs, and would often see them out and about. The training is vigorous and very thorough, as you say.
@boiboing (12207)
• Northampton, England
I had a friend who worked at Pedigree Petfoods. She said if you went for lunch and the office cat chose your chair, when you came back you'd have to find somewhere else to sit.
Is it a trustworthy organisation?
@boiboing (12207)
• Northampton, England
Absolutely.
Hi!. Great to hear you are doing this. A little help from a few equals a lifetime of happiness and independence for others!!
@nanette64 (17103)
• Fairfield, Texas
What an outstanding thing to do @boiboing . Labs are excellent service dogs. I know my Akita would have been a good one. I trained him in both hand and voice commands from the time he was 6-weeks old.
@Lucky15 (33429)
great job. hope the three cats will take the news ;)
Good luck with your explanations. Over my time I've sponsored a joey kangaroo, a red panda and something else I've forgotten. I don't think I'm a very good foster mum.
@msiduri (5757)
What a wonderful idea.
Well, the cats are just going to have to understand that their pet parents have huge hearts! My brothers dogs are trained therapy dogs, not for the blind though, and those dogs are so proud when they wear their therapy-dog scarves and vests.