What's with all the bread???

@CRK109 (14419)
I went to the food bank last week and more than half of what they gave me was bread! There was a huge loaf of bread. Another loaf of Italian bread. A large bag of bagels. They wanted to give me cupcakes, but I declined. They gave me muffins and cookies. So, if you're low on funds and can't get to the grocery store, this is how the government wants you to eat? My doctor is going to have a raving fit! Does anyone know any good recipes that will "eat up" all the bread? Thanks!
@1wldngl (3991)
French toast, bread pudding, egg bake dish using the bread as a base. Is that government funded?
@CRK109 (14419)
yes it comes from the government for people of low income so they won't go hungry. thanks for mentioning bread pudding! I'd forgotten that one!
@1wldngl (3991)
@CRK109 I remember the staples my mom got when we were little. This huge 5 lb block of yellow cheese, real cheese back then. We loved it.
I am amazed at some of the food that is given out. Mostly high in carbs and low in nutrition. Pasta, pasta, pasta. Spaghetti sauce that is loaded with sodium and sugars too. Very little fruit or vegetables. I went to a food shelf for a client and was amazed at how much food they gave her. Some of the pasta was 100% whole wheat. Cold cereal, peanut butter, one carton of fruit juice, a couple of cans of vegetables and a carton of low fat shelf stable milk.
@CRK109 (14419)
I really wanted some peanut butter, but I got none. I got one can of soup (Progresso), one can of garbanzo beans and a can of peaches. I never get cereal. The canned vegetables are pretty bad, but I rinse them well and add them to something like an omelet or stir fry. I did find out that I can use my food stamps at the farmer's market once they open, so that will be a better idea!
@CRK109 our Farmer's Market is great, but expensive. I had a few clients saying they wanted to spend their food stamps there. I advised them they could do better at the grocery store. I pride myself in being a first class bargain hunter. Many are letting me help them with their shopping. Some are too quick with spending it foolishly.
It's amazing that the government puts out articles about the rate of obesity in this country and then contributes to it. Kind of an oxymoron if you ask me. I hope you can do something with it. You could always toss it to the birds. They like it.
@CRK109 (14419)
Yes, I'm definitely giving some to the birds in the time I have left here. A friend mentioned that I could start making my own stuffing, and I like that idea, because I can add a lot of veggies I already make French toast sometimes for dinner, with fruit. But my freezer is completely full with all this bread. ugh.
@CRK109 I was going to suggest French toast, but I didn't think you wanted all the carbs and sugar syrup offers.
Do they get short of other stuff? I only thought of bread and butter pudding but others have given you some good ideas.
@CRK109 (14419)
I don't know what their donations look like but I guess people think the poor need sugar and starches. Whenever I used to donate food for the poor, it was always higher quality food. I can't imagine who that went to.
All that bread is crazy! guess you could make bread pudding? no wonder we have a problem with obesity when all the healthy food is so expensive and the cheap stuff isn't good for us to eat
@CRK109 (14419)
Exactly! I've been trying to lose weight but the store charges so much for healthy foods. So I go to the food bank and get inundated with bread. It's really crazy.
How ridiculous is that! Where was the fruit and vegetables?
@CRK109 (14419)
I only get canned fruit and veggies and not even that much of those. Nothing fresh. It's awful. But it's free so I really shouldn't complain.
@cherriefic (4331)
• Baguio, Philippines
Your lucky to have free bread from the government. It doesn't happen around here unless there's a typhoon or disaster.
@CRK109 (14419)
Don't get me wrong. I love that I get bread for free. I just don't need so much of it. I'm only one person.
@T_gray (7836)
• Salina, Kansas
That's crazy they gave you so much bread. I guess they had a lot of donates from bread that week. No idea on recipes but I hope you can come up with something to do with it all.
@CRK109 (14419)
Unfortunately, I'll probably feed the birds more than anything else.