The Kookaburras Laughed at Me

Bunbury, Australia
I commented on a post this morning written by @Lucky15 about the sights, sounds and smells that are always present in the mornings. When I stepped outside this morning I heard some kookaburras calling. They do this to establish their territory. There are four species of kookaburra. All belong to the Dacelo genus. They are also called the laughing jackass as they make a sound similar to a human laugh, which is very distinctive and far-reaching. Kookaburras are the largest of the kingfisher family and native to Australia and New Guinea. They are carnivorous and not afraid to tackle snakes and lizards. They fly into a tree and drop the snake or lizard repeatedly until the spine is broken. They are relatively easy to tame and soon learn to come for food. In camping grounds, they can become a nuisance once they lose their fear of humans. They are adept at swooping on a barbecue and removing the juiciest steak. The link will take you to a recording of the kookaburra's laugh.
This kookaburra is actually laughing, it is hilarious.
I remembered the song we used to sing on the Kookuburra
This is exactly what went through my head when I read Judy's title!
@Platespinner When I had visited Australia and saw them on the tree I sang away (lol)
@Platespinner @allknowing It seems everyone in every country learnt this song while they were at school. I've noticed before if the song is mentioned, many people remember learning it.
@owlwings (38400)
• Cambridge, England
It sounds as if the aboriginal name - gugubarra - is onomatopoeic. Might it mean 'bird that says gugu'? (The Greek word for owl - Tyto - is the same. It is equivalent to what a child might call it - 'Twit-woo'!) Mention of the Kookaburra reminds me of a round we used to sing as kids: Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree, Merry, merry king of the bush is he, Laugh, Kookaburra, laugh, kookaburra Gay your life must be.
According to the article I wrote on Infobarrel about the kookaburra, the common name comes from the Wiradjuri aboriginal group who used the term 'guuguubarra' to describe the sound of its call. It seems the kookaburra song was learnt in every school in every country. I don't think I've come across anyone yet who didn't learn it at school.
@Platespinner (19306)
Thanks for the link. I've known the Kookaburra Sits... song since I was a child, but I never really had either an image or an actual sound attached to the name!
Everyone seems to know the song. They are quite a big bird. The spangled kookaburra is very pretty. Here's a photo. Image courtesy Wikimedia Commons, author Doug Janson.
@JudyEv Gorgeous wing colours!
@Lucky15 (33731)
Aww. There.goes the cutie bird. And... why same.laugh as i laugh
It does sound like laughter doesn't it?
@Lucky15 (33731)
@JudyEv it does ma'am. Like one crazy laugh
It really does sound like laughing doesn't it? I didn't realise that they were a type of kingfisher.
They are quite big. They were introduced to our state from the east and are inclined to harass our little native birds although it all seems to have balanced out now.
I could use a bird that eats snakes....
Apparently they are very careful about how they tackle the poisonous ones.
@JudyEv I would hope so.
@PainsOnSlate (19771)
I have never seen one but as a child there was a song we sang about them. I see its been added already.
Watch Kookaburra Sits In The Old Gum Tree Original Song with the lyrics on screen to sing-along to the famous Australian tune. :) “Kookaburra” or "Kookaburra...
So many people learnt this at school. I wonder why that was? I guess it was a catchy song and a bit interesting perhaps.
@JudyEv probabley one of those songs that taught you a lot of things at once, diction, new words, tempo, who knows but we sang it a lot!
I wonder what would happen if you put this right next to a monkey's cage.
I can't imagine. Maybe the monkeys would get very annoyed thinking they were being laughed at.
Interesting. I've learned a lot of interesting facts since I joined here a month ago.
I didn't realise there was so much I didn't know! I'm not nearly as smart as I thought I was.
@gudheart (12775)
LOL love it! The laugh is contagious makes us laugh with it.
Yes, it is hard not to laugh with it - or at least smile.
@simone10 (22232)
• Louisville, Kentucky
How cool! I haven't heard them laugh before but I did know that they laughed.
The 'laugh' is quite realistic isn't it?
@garymarsh6 (12587)
I like the sound of the Kookaburra but then it is not that we would hear it every day here!
Once one starts the others usually join in. There were will be a pair and the offspring who frequent a 'territory' for a while.
@rakski (2889)
oh wow, I only heard of this before. I am glad to come across this post as I learned about this species which I thought as a kid just a myth or some story.
No, they are very real! :)
Very informative post and, I wouldn't want to be a snake right now lol, also funny laugh.
I thought I had a photo of it but it's disappeared and now I'm not sure if it was ever there.
I love them and you are so blessed to see them Judy. I have seen them on the telly sometime as I recall. Fascinating creatures.
They can become quite tame to the point of being a nuisance.
@JudyEv Oh...oh oh
@TiarasOceanView It's a shame, isn't it, but a common problem with many wild creatures. Once they lose their fear of man, they can be quite dangerous.
@Ronrybs (6938)
• London, England
I had read that in the old black and white Tarzan films, it was a loolaburra they used for sound jungle sound effects. They were right!
I didn't know that but it would work well.
@Ronrybs (6938)
• London, England
@JudyEv Or maybe Tarzan was actually wandering around Oz!
@Ronrybs Could be!
think I heard that name, kookaburra, in a kids song once but I didnt know what they were
It seems everyone nearly who has commented has learnt the kids' song.
@JudyEv I cant remember the kids song, just that line and that it was at a daycare lol!
• Portland, Connecticut
That is a great laugh, it made me want to laugh myself!! lol
It's quite human-like isn't it?
@antonbunot (9521)
• Calgary, Alberta
Beautiful bird. Looks like a kingfisher!
It does, doesn't it? It belongs to the kingfisher family.
Memory from the past. As kids we sang a song about the kookaburra. "Kookaburra lives in the old gum tree, merry, merry king of the bush is he...." I think I can sing the whole thing!
Members from UK and USA all seem to have learnt this song - and remembered the words!