Pig ear sandwiches'

Pensacola, Florida
I am watching a episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern and he is currently in Mississippi eating pig ear sandwiches. I'm down for eating just about anything but there's something about a pig ear that just throws me off. Maybe it is because when I was growing up we always had pig ear dog treats. And so that's the mental image I get even though the sandwiches dont really look anything like the pig ear of the dog treat variety.
It is pork and that right there just grosses me out , not sure why but it MIGHT have something to do with 'pig roasts' step dad had for many years with lots of friends who thought seeing a huge pig on a stake cooking, grilling for days was somehow delicious. Never got over that apple in his mouth image either !
• Pensacola, Florida
@enlightenedpsych2 I love pig roasts! And I love pork.
@lexiconlover I enjoyed the rest of the food and back then I was not understanding what pork meat might do to me (I am blood type AB and back then had little idea it would affect me as it did0, so now even though a craving for it comes around , I avoid it
• Pensacola, Florida
@enlightenedpsych2 I've always loved pork, and will always love it. Lol
Never had it, might consider it. I have had pigs feet before though.
• Pensacola, Florida
I can't remember if I have or not. I know they are very popular here.
@lexiconlover This was years ago when I was a child.
• Pensacola, Florida
@TiarasOceanView did you grow up in the south?
@irishidid (8524)
No way would I eat that or the other disgusting thing that guy eats! LOL
• Pensacola, Florida
@irishidid What about es cargo?
@irishidid (8524)
@lexiconlover NO and no sushi or squid or octopus or mountain oysters. LOL
• Pensacola, Florida
@irishidid No sushi? Lol. That's sad. Sushi is yummy.
I can't imagine a pig's ear being tasty. Is it heavily spiced?
• Pensacola, Florida
@johnroberts They didn't really discuss the exact spices. But seeing as it was a southern restaurant, that has been around for over seventy years I would imagine so.
@lexiconlover Southern people have always been so poor and putting food on the table difficult at times, so I imagine pig's ears comes from wasting nothing that can be consumed.
• Pensacola, Florida
@JohnRoberts I would imagine so. But it also would be filling I would think. The southern people at least in the past have always been good at stretching what they do have.
@xstitcher (10530)
• Petaluma, California
I'm not a huge fan of pork (maybe pork rinds) but yeah--that would kind of gross me out.
• Pensacola, Florida
You dont eat pork chops?
I am amazed at what some humans will eat. Brains, pig's feet, tripe, headcheese.... Ewwwwwww
• Pensacola, Florida
And those same people would probably think things you eat are just as gross @corbin5
@DWDavis (10810)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
My father used to, and maybe still does, love eating pickled pigs feet. I could never stomach the idea.
@Ronrybs (6938)
• London, England
I remember an expression about using using all of the pig, but the oink!
@KristenH (21786)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
I've heard of pigs ears and pig ears. I recently saw it featured in a Top Chef episode for Last Chance Kitchen. But I'll pass on it. No thanks.